Gilt Group

This is true. Their customer service is top notch. I've had times where items were non-returnable or store credit only that I was able to get returned on my cc. These items were misrepresented IMO though (size was off, measurements weren't listed, etc) But it's always worth a call if you ask me.

And even if you do only get store credit, it's still easy. You print out the label and send it in...pretty easy.

I have not had this experience. Items are returnable for credit only. There has never been a time when I was offered the chance to have my cc credited. That must be rare.

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything Jenaywins has said in this thread.

And like jenaywins said (and I don't see how she was rude at all) if you dislike Gilt's policy, you stop shopping with them. The only way a company will change their policies is if the consumer forces them to (and you force them to by not giving them business). Complaining doesn't do much if you're still give them business, and thus profits.

That's interesting. Why do people not understand that those comments are not constructive and rude. I am an educated person. I know if I don't like a businesses practice, I will stop shopping there. That is why I have! You don't know until it happens!!!

What are you talking about? Complaining? I'm letting others know that a site that propones to have sales, doesn't. That's the point! How have I given them anymore business? You have no idea what you are talking about.:nuts:

If it was so, I don't understand why OP assumed she was getting discount...

I rarely buy from Gilt anymore because I'm not very impressed by their selections since they expanded their business so much.

Because there was no indication on the site that it wasn't a sale. Gilt Groupe is a sale site. That's the point. Yes, they stated it was an exclusive look (which it wasn't because the pieces were available elsewhere on sale), but never mentioned that the prices were retail. When I pressed the customer service agent to show me where exactly on the site they mentioned it was not a sale, they could not.

If a store propones to be a discount store or a sale store, they should have sale prices. Its as simple as that.

as long as they are not breaking any laws, IMO yes.

I do agree that they might be misrepresenting what "retail" is and it's not good for business in the long run to have people feel they were not given their money's worth .....they just lost you and probably a few other people as customers as a result of this.. so even though they have the right to price their goods as they want, they should be smarter about it if they want to get repeat business and build a loyal customer base...I won't do business with anyone a second time if I don't think I was treated fairly the first time.. So I am totally with you there.

but in the end, it is up to us to know what the retail price really is and decide where to spend our money.

i do believe it is the consumer's job to be informed. you can't just believe that what a store/online retailer says they are - if so, IOffer, other fake sites (albeit illegal), would be getting much more business if people didn't do their research first.

it really is a retailer's job to make as money as they can, the consumer's job to be informed.

Gilt doesn't always have the best sales - i bought my mom a L.A.M.B. bag for $80 and my sister a L.A.M.B. cosmetic bag for $50 - a month later since they didn't sell that well they were $40 and $20, respectively. but that was MY fault for not waiting. oh well, i still like to look at their stuff, since sometimes i miss it in store

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Of couse a consumer has to be informed, but it is also incumbent upon a business to be honest and have honest business practices. If you hold yourself out as a sale site, then you should have sale prices, regardless. Otherwise, it's misrepresentation. Why do you think people get dupped into predatory lending? Why do you think the whole housing crisis happened? Can you blame consumers in these instances? Do you tell them "oh well, you should have been more informed." Those comments are ridiculous. That is why there are consumer protection laws, so consumers are protected and can reasonably rely on the representations of businesses.

The point is not that the ring wasn't the lowest price possible, but that it wasn't a sale price. Nowhere on the website did it say that the prices would not be discounted. Gilt is a sale website, you allegedly get insider prices for being a member, up to 70% discounts. If this was a different kind of sale, there should have been a conspicuous disclaimer infroming people as such. That's the point.

Gilt is a sale website, you allegedly get insider prices for being a member, up to 70% discounts.

OK, for example the MSPR of a price is $5, Gilt has it 'on sale' for $4.50. According to Gilt, that's a sale/insider pricing. It's up to the consumer if they think it's a sale and proceed.

OK, for example the MSPR of a price is $5, Gilt has it 'on sale' for $4.50. According to Gilt, that's a sale/insider pricing. It's up to the consumer if they think it's a sale and proceed.

Yes, in that instance I would say that is a sale price. In my instance the MSRP for the ring was $95.00 and the Gilt price was $95.00. I would say that it is not a sale price.

Gilt has gotten way too expensive lately. Especially decorative and household items like rugs, dinnerware, etc.
I mean how anyone can spend $500 on a rug without seeing it in real life first and that item can not be returned or returned for store credit only. Just unrealistic.
Lately their handbag sales have prices higher than I can get on line at other places.
I think HauteLook got much better in sales and their pricing is very very decent. And Rue La La of course, very decent pricing, too bad you need to buy an item the minute you lay your eyes on it as there is no such thing as reserve for 10-15 min in the cart on Rue La La.

This is true. Their customer service is top notch. I've had times where items were non-returnable or store credit only that I was able to get returned on my cc. These items were misrepresented IMO though (size was off, measurements weren't listed, etc) But it's always worth a call if you ask me.

And even if you do only get store credit, it's still easy. You print out the label and send it in...pretty easy.

If this isnt hypocritical. You bought the item knowing that a term and condition of buying on that site is that you receive store credit. Yet you requested that you be refunded to your credit card because in your opinion, alleged misrepresentation. Pot...kettle...black...

If this isnt hypocritical. You bought the item knowing that a term and condition of buying on that site is that you receive store credit. Yet you requested that you be refunded to your credit card because in your opinion, alleged misrepresentation. Pot...kettle...black...

OP, you are seriously getting out of control here. First off, re-read her post. You say that you are "educated," then act like it. "Alleged?" Get real. If she felt that the items were misrepresented (IE wrong measurement, etc.) then that is her business.

You coming back to this thread to attack every single person who has so much as disagreed with you is baffling to me. In fact, why this thread is continuing is baffling to me. You don't like Gilt's prices, you won't be shopping there. Ok, it's understood. But you have zero right to come back and lash out at every person who has uttered a single word in disagreement.

You say that you are "educated," then act like it. "Alleged?" Get real. If she felt that the items were misrepresented (IE wrong measurement, etc.) then that is her business.

If anyone is out of control it's you. Look at the things you write, and then you act as if you have done nothing wrong. You came into a thread that I started and interject yourself into things that don't concern you. When I feel something is "misrepresented" (which is the point of the thread) I'm told by you and others "oh well, don't shop there." However, when I point out hypocrisy in her statements, I'm attacked. How are my above statements uneducated? I have every right to express my opinion in a thread that I started in an open forum. What is truly baffling is why you continue to come back and launch insults. If you have an issue with something I say, I suggest you PM me rather than to continue making this a public display.