Do you donate blood?

I always wanted to, but my blood pressure is very low, so they won't let me.

Once, a long time ago, I had had enough of that and decided that I would show them. So I took some um, central nervous system stimulant right before I went to the blood drive place, and it did raise my blood pressure to the minimum level, and I got passed on through.

But there were a lot of donors that day, and the wait was long, and so by the time they got to me, the central nervous system stimulant had worn off, and I found out why they won't take people with low blood pressure.

When they put in the needle, nothing happened! All around me, when they did this to other people, blood would flow out into the tube and into the bag, but from my arm, not a drop emerged.

So they stuck me again a couple of times in different places, with the same result, and then went to ask a more experienced nurse, who took one look and took my blood pressure, which had, of course dropped to its normal lowness which generally causes them to take it three or four times because I don't look dead.

Anyway, they informed me that for some reason, my blood pressure had dropped since it was checked in the original screening, nothing at all to worry about, they assured me, but obviously, you can't give blood. Not enough pressure there, as you see, it won't flow out!

And of course now, with all the pills, even if it was through the roof they wouldn't take it, it would knock whoever received it onto their butt!

So I must content myself with urging other people to give blood whenever there is an opportunity!

I would recommend that you donate blood. They will test it first to see if you're anemic and it doesn't hurt. The needle going in does, but other than that you'll good afterwards that you may help save someone's life. I haven't done it in a while though because I have very small veins and they collapse one of them and my entire upper arm was bruised for a week. They seem to have some kind of issue when they take my blood, but I would do it again if it was neccessary. I would also recommend that you give plasma as well as blood.

i gave blood in high school and during the donation i started to feel really dizzy & faint i told the nurse i didn't feel good she wasn't helpful. She just brought the head part down the put my legs up...then my vein collapse and no blood was coming out ahhh i figured i could get out of here she just without asking me put another needle in my other arm again it collapse well i went home and for 1 whole week from the bend of my arm down to my wrist i had a huge black, blue, bown deep purple that was so huge and disgusting looking on both arm...never gain...but it does save lifes so go ahead i hope i didn't scare you

i did it multiple times throughout high school and college. i had little reaction and usually did the one that took longer (plasma, maybe? i can't remember). i have really large veins, so they always let the new people have me, but i never had any problems.

i'm actually sad i can't donate anymore (i had a blood clot in my lung)...i always felt good after doing it.

Yes, I have dontated in the past.

It doesn't hurt per se but it is a very weird feeling. You have to keep opening and closing your hand so the blood flows and I guess that relieves the pain a little.

Afterwars however, I always felt a bit dizzy and was given a lot of food and sugary drinks which was a bonus LOL

I have never donated blood before but have gotten blood tests, and I think they are like the same thing. For me, whenever someone tells me I have to get a blood test I breakdown in tears and get upset, I am petrified of getting shots, etc. For me, getting a blood tests hurts with that needle going into you, but then again, I always get tense beforehand. If that wasn't the case with me, donating blood is something I would do, because in some cases I am sure, it could save someone's life, so it is definitely a beneficial thing to do. Also with the bruising, I heard that it happens only when you bend your arm during or after you get it done, so just don't bend your arm. But I would consider donating blood if you were up for it! :smile:

Yes, regularly. It is actually good for your health: people who donate regularly are found to regenerate blood faster, plus I think that the energy required to do that after you've given blood is equivalent to exercising for hours. :smile:

Cyn