Do you donate blood?

nope, cause one, im not old enough.......two, i dont weigh enough........three, i have a blood illness

If I didnt have my blood illness, and my age, I would def. do it!

Im not afraid of blood tests anymore, cause Ive gotten SOOOOOOOO many of them.....I CANNT stand finger pricks though!!!! (and I hate shots)

Time flies I cant beleive the bay has gotten so big ..she is tooo cute

okay on topic: i gave blood ..if you can you should..I am 0 type which is the universal blood type any one can get my blood

the after effect - I was weak and almost fainted havent given since but I am happy I did when I did .......

I've never given blood since I wasn't allowed due to their regulations

Yes I give blood, I asked one day what CVM negative on my donar meant and they said that it basically means my childhood immunizations do not show in my blood and that my blood is a good one for young babies and I could expect to be contacted if I were needed. I got a call 1 time for a special donation and it felt so good!!! I love to give blood and I think I actually feel better after I do!!

I would love to, but I've always been anemic and nothing I do seems to help :sad:

I carry an organ donor card with me at all times and have made my family promise to respect that, IF anything ever happens.

Same here. Well the time I wanted to, I didn't weigh enough (plus I was anemic). Now I'm a few inches taller and my weight caught up to my height. But I'm still anemic.

Yes I give blood, I asked one day what CVM negative on my donar meant and they said that it basically means my childhood immunizations do not show in my blood and that my blood is a good one for young babies and I could expect to be contacted if I were needed. I got a call 1 time for a special donation and it felt so good!!! I love to give blood and I think I actually feel better after I do!!
I think you mean "CMV", which stands for "cytomegalovirus". It doesn't have anything to do with childhood immunizations--but most people (about 60%) are exposed to it during childhood. The fact that you have apparently never been exposed means that your blood is ideal for infants and immuno-compromised patients.

So anyone know why it's dangerous to donate more frequently?

I'd guess it's just a safeguard to make sure you don't overtax your body. But I'm not a medical professional, so I don't know!

I try to donate as often as I can(next week is my next try!)- unfortunately, I'm borderline anemic, so sometimes my iron comes back too low.

Someone said something about piercings and tattoos not allowing them to donate- but I think you only have to wait a few months (maybe a year) as long as you got it done in a reputable (and sterile) environment. Which I really hope everyone does. I know they don't even ask me about mine anymore, even though it's clear that I've got a ton.

This is terrible, but true . . . I am a nurse and I believe that everyone who's able should donate. HOWEVER - they used to prick your ear for the sample, which didn't hurt at all. Just a "click" and that's all. Then they did some research and found that the ear wasn't as accurate, so they went back to the fingers. So I quit donating. It hurts a LOT and if they want me to give something for free (which occasionally makes me feel woozy and weak) they need to figure out a way to do it less painfully! The other reason I quit was how often they were calling me. I felt harrassed, and charities don't have to abide by the Do Not Call list. So no more Red Cross for me. Maybe I'll try again sometime soon if they agree to prick my ear.

My weight has always fluctuated between 105-115 lbs, and I remember the first time I went, I was exactly 110... they do campus blood drives quite often, so one day I decided to stop by. I've donated twice, but I can't at this time since I'm under the weight limit. The last time I donated was about 3 years ago... there's nothing to it, I thought I'd be afraid of the needle and seeing my own blood, but I wasn't. I felt fine afterwards... they even had some snacks and beverages for us!

I started donating when one of my students got leukemia. We do a blood drive twice a year at the school that I teach at. Besides that, I give it every time I am able-how can you not? It's such a little thing and makes such a huge difference in saving three lives for every pint you give. It truly doesn't hurt-just a prick putting the needle in your arm-then you just relax while your blood deposits in the bag. Wouldn't you be gald that someone volunteered to give their blood to save someone that you love? :rolleyes: