Chalcedony Alhambra

miss argile

Dec 13, 2016
Any chalcedony lover here? :wave::wave:
I have run through most of Alhambra thread and found little information about Chalcedony alhambra.
I currently own the blue sevre pendant and vintage onyx earings, both with YG, so kinda want to add a WG piece this year.

And I kinda fell in love with the 20-motif chalcedony last time visiting our local VCA! Since its a bit more expensive than other alhambra pieces, Im a bit struggling if this should be my first 20-motifs (and I also fell in love with the wg perlee clover ring! ahhh also so pricey)

Please kindly share your view on chalcedony:
Is it easy to take care of?
Is it easy to match both casual/dressy outfits and do you wear it often?
If I get 10-motif now, will it be hard to match the stones later if I do want 20-motif later?
And overall is it worth the purchase? any suggestions/ideas are welcomed!
(or.. should I get the WG perlee clover ring first? hahaha)

Reactions: rhyvin
I'd like to tag along to this question in hopes that vca alumna can offer any advice. I am newly bitten by the vca bug & am looking at the 20 motif necklace in either chalcedony or mother of pearl in white gold, so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Chalcedony can range from gray to periwinkle blue and is only offered in wg. They have very limited items available in chalcedony...necklace, bracelet. No vintage earrings. If you are interested in a "set" this is not available.
If you decide to purchase a 10 motif now it could prove difficult finding a match later because of the color variation. At one point it was rumored that VCA was planning to phase out chalcedony (it is not as popular as the other stones) but it is still around...just harder to find.
People seem to have mixed feelings about this stone. It probably depends on what color/type that one is attracted to. I find the light blue with slight purple to be especially beautiful...

Chalcedony can range from gray to periwinkle blue and is only offered in wg. They have very limited items available in chalcedony...necklace, bracelet. No vintage earrings. If you are interested in a "set" this is not available.
If you decide to purchase a 10 motif now it could prove difficult finding a match later because of the color variation. At one point it was rumored that VCA was planning to phase out chalcedony (it is not as popular as the other stones) but it is still around...just harder to find.
People seem to have mixed feelings about this stone. It probably depends on what color/type that one is attracted to. I find the light blue with slight purple to be especially beautiful...

Thank you.

My Chalcedony bracelet just arrived, it has some nice lavender undertones to it. View attachment 3510188

One of our tPF members, dialv, posted a gorgeous chalcedony 5-motif bracelet a while back. I think the lavender color against the white gold is absolutely lovely. Sadly, white gold doesn't work on my skin tone at all, otherwise I would scoop up the pendant in a heartbeat! I personally prefer chalcedony to mother-of-pearl. That's only my humble opinion though. :smile:

Reactions: miss argile and BBC
I have terrible lighting in my house, I am going to take some pics outside to try and capture the piece better[emoji300]
Thank you all for the advises, your bracelet is so beautiful! I feel its slightly younger vibe than WG MOP. Last time I check my local boutique they have a 20-motifs in store, its stunning in person. struggling......

I have terrible lighting in my house, I am going to take some pics outside to try and capture the piece better[emoji300]

Thank you! Also, if you are willing could you comment on how you like the the chalcedony and if you find it be versatile. Or any commentary you would like to add, would be most appreciated. I wear mostly navy and some grey for my wardrobe & in general, prefer white gold over yellow gold so I feel a bit limited in my vca Alhambra stone options (I am not a red/green/black color gal). I really like the longevity of the Alhambra & the way the 20 motif can elevate an outfit, but I am a bit stuck trying to figure out my ideal combination.

Thank you! Also, if you are willing could you comment on how you like the the chalcedony and if you find it be versatile. Or any commentary you would like to add, would be most appreciated. I wear mostly navy and some grey for my wardrobe & in general, prefer white gold over yellow gold so I feel a bit limited in my vca Alhambra stone options (I am not a red/green/black color gal). I really like the longevity of the Alhambra & the way the 20 motif can elevate an outfit, but I am a bit stuck trying to figure out my ideal combination.
You really have two choices right now.
Mother of pearl or chalcedony
A lot of people purchase the mop because it's the safe choice. It goes with everything and they aren't anticipating buying more 20 motifs in the future (so expensive)....
Having collected many stones over the years, if I were in your position I would go for the chalcedony as long as you can find a strand that has exceptional color. It will be a very special piece and will still be considered a "neutral".
Not as common and never faked.
It's similar to the position people are in when they contemplate their first birkin. They assume it will be their one and only so they request black (although there are many more wonderful colors that also serve as a neutral) because it's regarded as a safe choice.
I vote for chalcedony.

Outside pics, you can see the translucency in the first picture of the bottom stone quite nice.
I have to say I love this stone so much more when you get it outside[emoji300][emoji170]
I decided on Chalcedony because I heard they were getting harder to come by and I don't want to miss out on it. I am usually a yellow gold girl but white gold is very pretty too and likewise with Turquoise really showcases the stone. Thanks for letting me share!IMG_1485966829.767035.jpgIMG_1485966859.289169.jpg

You really have two choices right now.
Mother of pearl or chalcedony
A lot of people purchase the mop because it's the safe choice. It goes with everything and they aren't anticipating buying more 20 motifs in the future (so expensive)....
Having collected many stones over the years, if I were in your position I would go for the chalcedony as long as you can find a strand that has exceptional color. It will be a very special piece and will still be considered a "neutral".
Not as common and never faked.
It's similar to the position people are in when they contemplate their first birkin. They assume it will be their one and only so they request black (although there are many more wonderful colors that also serve as a neutral) because it's regarded as a safe choice.
I vote for chalcedony.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your thoughts! It's such an expensive piece so I want to give it proper research & thought & it really helps me to hear from someone that owns the stone.

Outside pics, you can see the translucency in the first picture of the bottom stone quite nice.
I have to say I love this stone so much more when you get it outside[emoji300][emoji170]
I decided on Chalcedony because I heard they were getting harder to come by and I don't want to miss out on it. I am usually a yellow gold girl but white gold is very pretty too and likewise with Turquoise really showcases the stone. Thanks for letting me share!View attachment 3591941View attachment 3591942
I am in love with Chalcedony. Did someone say they don't come in vintage earrings? sigh