Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

From everything I've read he was miserable at Gordonstoun and that is why he didn't send W&H there. You are right, there was no pampering at Gordonstoun, so I don't see how that would have made him self-centered. But being catered and kowtowed to all your life because you are the heir certainly would.
I think whining about an amazing opportunity like going to Gordonstoun is emblematic of how deeply entitled He is and was. I’m sure he was as much a prisoner there as H was really on the front line. The teachers would’ve been tiptoeing around him from day 1.
It's an interesting comparison. Although he was pretty much a sex addict, Jack did seem to have genuine love for Jackie. She was aware of some of his affairs and we'll never know whether, had Jack lived, she might have ultimately divorced him after he left office.
A lot of people, especially in high profile marriages, seem to operate on this idea that casual sex is ok provided it doesn’t threaten their position as the spouse & I think she was following that.
What doesn't work for the BRF is not so much age and beauty, it is letting the public know what they are feeling.

The Queen does not. Camilla is incredibly good at putting aside any ego. Kate shines of course, but we never see ego and just does her job.

Diana and Meg were both manipulative and vindictive with a constant need to feed their public persona... and that is not welcomed in the BRF.
Andrew’s ego and manipulative behaviour seem perfectly welcome though as was the fasc uncle Windsor but it is definitely different rules if you are in the bloodline vs married in.
For my family it was McDonald's or Friendly's. Sizzler is for the unwashed masses in the minds of many. Even the cool people in LA go to In-N-Out. Celebrities have been known to go there after awards ceremonies in their red carpet ensembles, so that's why it is OK with ZeeZy.
I will say their marketing that convinces people that this is some gourmet trendy stuff is amazing. Same is true of five guys. At British five guys it’s at least £15 for burger and chips in a plastic diner - I mean you could get a decent meal in a nice restaurant for that!
I suppose they are very much the food equivalent of Meg in that sense- marketed as top of the line gourmet but really just greasy gristle wrapped in plastic.
I think there is more of a challenge for women who marry into the family, because there is going to be more to talk about and focus on with them. A man who marries into the family is not going to get as much attention for his fashion, his new hairstyle etc. So in that respect, I'd agree that it wasn't all Diana's fault.
That said, I think in Kate, we have an example of how it can be done. Throughout their marriage I think Kate has worked to make sure that there is still more spotlight on William. When they do joint appearances, she defers to him. She limits the number of solo appearances she does. At times, she has been criticized for not doing enough work - but her not having a ton of appearances ensures there is more focus on William.
But regardless, since this is the Harry and Meghan thread - Meghan was NEVER going to play that game. Totally agree with rose606010 that in her mind it was all about who had the most x factor and she was certain she could be the star of the family AND transform their old fashioned ways. I think that in her mind Kate, Sophie and other women in the family would cheer on her willingness to stand up and shake things up. I think a lot of her sour grapes to this day come from discovering that they were not all sitting around hoping she'd come along and save them.
I’d say a big factor is C&D’s relationship existed in the heyday of the paparazzi and the tabloid press and as we have mentioned one is clearly more photogenic than the other.

In contrast there are relatively few pictures of E&P together and appearance wise the Queen has always looked elegant and friendly whereas I know some people say he was handsome when he was young but Philip has always seemed more Sam the American Eagle than Paul Newman to me.
3A3B9BD3-C155-4D15-B6DE-834A8C075249.gif
DABC5C26-1074-4639-801C-5797B787C9B4.gif

Another thing that’s not mentioned in W&C’s dynamic is W has always been portrayed as the powerful one in the relationship whereas this was not the case in C&D (or indeed in E&P - as @charlottawill noted- he was kind of a diva in the early days)

They had the famous break and W waited out getting married to her for years which was a wise decision but the press also made it clear they were in his side and weren’t going to make her the star by ridiculing her for waiting. I think the palace wanted assurance they weren’t going to have another one of their golden egg boys buried beneath the hype about his prettier wife and the press made it clear she would get the team player edit.
IIRC, Jackie had the pedigree that John Kennedy didn't and his father Joe Kennedy wanted for a daughter-in-law/prospective First Lady, but her family lacked the money that the Kennedys had. Some thought she was marrying beneath her station.
On a related note, I love Grey Gardens and I can see why Jackie wanted to get outta there.

I’m still only at about 30% through revenge, which is discussing the period after the wedding. Wow, Harry is such a POS, especially to Thomas markle, who doesn’t come off that great either. And if I read about Harry moaning on about “protection” one more time …!!!!! *gnashes teeth* I’m getting a visceral reaction to that word, same as when I hear the word “jab.”

I don't think she would have cared about filling seats at the UN had there not been pictures of the auditorium. I sometimes work at or go to these types of events, and very often all that is videoed and pictured is the speaker and the presentation.

I can't remember if H had a presentation along with his speech, if he didn't, it's not the UN's fault, because the Sussexes gave very little visual for edited-down highlights (I say highlights advisedly) or follow-up for publicity/posterity. Their laziness is demonstrated one again.

Plus, really bad move from M!

The UN is possibly one organisation she could (have) continued work (or 'work' in her case) - now they will be recoiling from the couple too.

Anybody still thinks M is a good hustler? :nono:
Very insightful point. If you are too vapid to be a celeb UN ambassador then….
Paid 'ladies' don't talk. That's partly why they get paid.

Plus, silence is mutually beneficial

Hence why no-one has 'yacht girl' on their CV :sunnies:
I suppose one would also go through the various indignities of being a courtesan in the hopes of never having to hand out your CV again at the very least too.

QE visited him as did Prince Charles.

Edward suffered from throat cancer in the years leading up to his death, so when Queen Elizabeth II, her husband Prince Philip, and their son Prince Charles paid a visit to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor during a state visit to France in May 1972, he wasn't well enough to properly receive them. Still, the Queen reportedly spent a few private minutes with him that day — and, as is seen in season 3 of The Crown on Netflix, the Duke reportedly rose from his bed to bow to her.

Accounts of this meeting with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor vary, but according to many, it was a somewhat awkward one. The Queen was reportedly not a fan of Wallis, and she grew "annoyed" with her at times. Still, she allegedly greatly appreciated that her uncle put so much effort into paying her the "final courtesy" of bowing.

Prince Charles’s account:

Wilson refers to prince's diary entry, in which Charles describes arriving at the duke's Parisian residence to find a party full of the "most dreadful American guests I have ever seen." Charles added, "The whole thing seemed so tragic—the existence, the people and the atmosphere—that I was relieved to escape it after 45 minutes."

The historian believes that Charles likely wrote this with an audience in mind, and would have downplayed any positive experience he might have had. Still, Wilson says, "Never meet you heroes, they say, and how right they are to say it." He adds, "I think he was unsettled by the grand style in which the Windsors lived, maybe he thought they were living in some ordinary town-house in an anonymous Parisian street. I think he was also miffed that there was a party going on when he arrived, whereas he viewed such an historic meeting as something which should stand alone, not dovetailed in with the Windsors' hectic social commitments."

How ironic in a few decades he’d have some awful American guests all of his own :graucho:
I had to laugh reading this. Charles was even more of a stuck-up prig back then than I already thought he was. :lol:
You are right he sounds insufferable. How dare they not consider meeting him to be momentous!
Charles was 20ish in 1972 when he saw Windsor and was anxious to leave, I give him a pass for lack of patience

Wonder how Charles’ diary was leaked to press
It was written and edited for publication and circulated by his press department I’m sure.
It’s totally on brand - while the old heir ‘David’ might be happy with his party lifestyle it makes it clear that Charles the new heir sees his life as tragic and is going to devote himself to his birth right duty. Ultimately he would choose being royal over ‘love’ and in fact he actually got both in the end.
I am LOL that Mega thought she could pull off a Carolyn Besette Kennedy slip dress.

View attachment 5585965View attachment 5585965
I suppose we can all just be happy we were spared a bronzer stained spaghetti strap at least :eek:
Imo M is not even a cheap copy of CBK. Good grief, enough with this so-called ‘channeling’. TBower needs to rewrite that chapter. Sheesh.

From what I can see CBK’s appeal seems to be based on simple clothes, minimal make up and striking natural long hair.

It’s never going to have the same effect if one is caked in fake tan and make up and hair that has more tracks than a double album.

To put it simply, M is too fake to pull of a natural look.
I agree that Al Fayed has exploited it and because he hates the Royals with a passion. He hated them before the accident because he was blocked from being a UK citizen and he blamed The Queen.
Am I the only one who is on Al-Fayed’s team? He was understandably devastated by losing his son and prior to that Him being rejected for citizenship was total BS - hate preachers and terrorists have citizenship but not the guy running a London institution- makes no sense.

Lady C was very upset about the Bower insinuation that Methane was inspired by CBK’s wedding dress. The two dresses are nothing alike. Lady C went to FIT after all. She correctly pointed out Methane’s dress is a bad cover version of Princess Angela of Lichtenstein’s dress, which she designed herself.
View attachment 5586004

This is the one I’d say it was the obvious rip off of and it makes sense. Of course she’d never acknowledge it as though she’s not adverse to borrowing a WOC’s looks when it suits her all the women she vocally pays homage to are the likes of Ivanka and Angelina…..

Came across another ridiculous Bower mistake in chapter 36. When discussing ZZZ’s support of BLM, Bower states Abraham Lincoln owned slaves. NO HE DID NOT. Geez!!:noggin:

Trying to power through the last of the book tonight. While it affirmed my feelings for ZZZ, it really opened my eyes to what an entitled nitwit Handbag is.
I can only stand to read a few pages at a time, and only when I have nothing better to do. Harry really does not come off well in the book. So bitter, dumb, rude, and entitled. What really shocked me was bower’s portrayal of him as being so desperate not to lose meghan. Like she is some great prize! It’s amazing how she sold him the idea that she is the second diana. He is so stupid and yet so arrogant at the same time. He totally deserves the hell that his life must be with her.

CBK did have the “IT” factor imo.

The CT old money ref makes me think CeeJay would have had something to say!

I remember her telling us early on snippets from her friends who knew Raptor in highschool and people saying to her "Uh sorry, not taking info from random people on the internet", and then it was all in Bower's book and she wasn't here to see it :sad:

The two radio guys I listen to on KFI here in LA mentioned that H’s underwear (the pair he lost in Las Vegas) is going up for auction and could potentially fetch up to a million dollars. Eww.

One guy, John, asked which one Harry was and the other guy, Ken, said he was the one on a leash walking on all fours and is basically castrated. They had some really choice words for those two. It was really amusing to hear them talk about HM with good knowledge of the disturbing dynamics of their marriage. HM’s odiferous toxicity is truly potent when two guys whose main foci are local and state politics can come up with so many wicked words to describe them. I wish I had a recording of that little segment.

Am I the only one who is on Al-Fayed’s team? He was understandably devastated by losing his son and prior to that Him being rejected for citizenship was total BS - hate preachers and terrorists have citizenship but not the guy running a London institution- makes no sense.

You are not wrong, but as someone who really dislikes drama I'm not into over-the-top people who can't let go of decade old grudges. I would feel a lot more for him if his personality was different I guess.

I can only stand to read a few pages at a time, and only when I have nothing better to do.

I really worked hard getting through that book. There wasn't even that much shocking news, but having it piled together like this was oh so draining.

In other news, after going 3+ months without doing my eyebrows I finally slapped on some colour and wax and I'm basically a new person today. Still an exhausted person though.

Lady C was very upset about the Bower insinuation that Methane was inspired by CBK’s wedding dress. The two dresses are nothing alike. Lady C went to FIT after all. She correctly pointed out Methane’s dress is a bad cover version of Princess Angela of Lichtenstein’s dress, which she designed herself.
View attachment 5586004

Please, she doesn't even acknowledge Angela exists.

I can see how it would be difficult to find wedding dresses that are contemporary and have long sleeves, particularly for Spring/Summer. ATM, most bridal fashion favours no sleeve or strapless corset styles. Givenchy have several wedding gowns in their archive like M's, I think M's was a mix between a couple.

There's nothing wrong with M's wedding dress except it doesn't fit her properly - and it was completely needless. Totally tasteless person, not the dress.