PART 2 Come join the 50-ish-plus Club! (age, not # of bags)

Thanks so much Elaine. The doctor said no walking the hills for a month. That's pretty much my entire area. I don't think we have any flat surfaces. I have to go to physical therapy. We're starting conservatively. No MRI yet just X-rays. She knows I can't do surgery right now and the MRI means surgery. It is probably a torn lateral ligament. So I am not expecting anything to show on the X-ray. Hopefully I can get back to normal. She did say I could walk the mall. Just not the 8 + miles I have been doing a day.

Huge congratulations to you on losing weight and being able to get active again. It feels awesome doesn't it.
Oh, ugh. That really is bad news. I hope PT helps you. Do torn ligaments ever heal themselves? I know that partially-torn rotator cuffs in the shoulder can heal themselves with time (mine did) but I'm less familiar with knees.
Are you going to mall-walk? That could be dangerous, unless you were to wear a pair of blinders, or walk super-fast! :angel:

MK, the vachetta leather looks so beautiful that it makes me want to reach out and touch it. Love the bag and color. The Penenelope is also top notch. What a great buy for quality and looks this brand is. Is the bag heavy?
Yes, unfortunately it is heavy. Vachetta is a thick, heavier leather than most. And I carry a ton of stuff, so by the time I leave home I've got 15# on my arm!!

What a handsome boy! Thoughts and prayers to you, dear...animals just don't live long enough. Period!
Skyqueen, I have thought the exact same thing! We lost two beloved dogs over the past year. We now have one dog, Theodore, an 8yo schnoodle who worships the ground I walk on. My daughters want to replace their Yorkie but part of me doesn't even want to get another dog. Am I a wimp because I don't want to have to be the one to take our beloved family member to the vet and hold them until the end so that they die with someone they love holding them? It takes so much out of me... :sad:

Reactions: skyqueen
Looking lovely, Meg!
Since I retired I've put on 20 lbs. How the hell did that happen? :shocked: I stopped eating "crap" at night and have lost 12 lbs...8 lbs to go. I've never had to diet so this has come as a shock and not easy to do. On the bright side...a nice excuse to buy new clothes! :happydance:
Skyqueen, I haven't retired so I don't know what my excuse is, but I am up almost ten pounds. I never had to watch my eating until my hysterectomy 16 years ago. Now I'm heading to some of the world's finest eating in Europe. Soooo, I am not going to attempt a diet of any sort until November! Although who am I kidding? Dieting in November and December probably won't happen either, ha ha!

Reactions: skyqueen
image.jpeg
Opinions please. What do you think of these shoes? My daughters (20 & 23) think they are hideous. I can't decide if they're ugly or so ugly they're kinda cute. I was wondering if they could take the place of my black Nikes on my trip. I bought them years ago thinking I'd use them as travel shoes (saw something similar in Europe years ago) and have never worn them. Maybe that's a sign. Ha ha! I won't be offended if you say they're ugly, trust me, I've already heard it from my girls. Don't know why the shoe decision is always the hardest when it comes to packing...

View attachment 3477908
Opinions please. What do you think of these shoes? My daughters (20 & 23) think they are hideous. I can't decide if they're ugly or so ugly they're kinda cute. I was wondering if they could take the place of my black Nikes on my trip. I bought them years ago thinking I'd use them as travel shoes (saw something similar in Europe years ago) and have never worn them. Maybe that's a sign. Ha ha! I won't be offended if you say they're ugly, trust me, I've already heard it from my girls. Don't know why the shoe decision is always the hardest when it comes to packing...
I think the real question, since you're leaving so soon, is whether you have enough time to give them a really good "test drive." It would be terrible to be walking around Europe in shoes that aren't comfortable. If you know for sure that your black Nikes work for you, I'd stay stick with them. I personally think these shoes are cute, but on a vacation where you're doing a lot of walking the bottom line is comfort.

Reactions: can_do_mom
View attachment 3477908
Your shoes are much like walking shoes worn in Europe and if they feel good then wear them. My daughter (who is 28) chose some shoes for me this past weekend when she was home and they aren't that different from yours. She lives in DC and most of the young women are wearing the male inspired shoes which are also highly popular here. This is a link to my shoes by Cole Haan.

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-black-suede/D44060.html?dwvar_D44060_color=Black Suede&dwvar_D44060_width=B#cgid=womens_shoes_zerogrand&start=13

I chose the suede and the shoe could only weigh a few ounces plus it is like walking on a cloud. The soles are white which is a noticeable comparison and I wasn't sure I would feel just right in them until I walked in the shoe. At that point I didn't care if the soles were white. My daughter informed me the ****e is part of the style! One last comment, most of the young women chose the shiny leather rather than the suede. I chose suede due to its softness since my feet are so compromised by rheumatoid arthritis.

Reactions: ElainePG
View attachment 3477908
They look similar to bowling shoes. I have to say no, as your family did.

Reactions: chessmont
View attachment 3477908
I love love love those shoes. They are really fashion forward in my opinion. They are definitely not ugly. I would wear those in a heart beat. But I agree with Elaine walking in Europe comfort is the most important factor. If they are comfortable then wear them if not stick with the Nikes.