PART 2 Come join the 50-ish-plus Club! (age, not # of bags)

image.jpeg
Maybe I will just stick with my tried and true Clarks mary janes. See exhibit A above. I have put countless miles on those shoes while traveling and my feet never once hurt. They're not the most attractive shoe (trust me) and I was hoping to find something new and cuter but maybe I bring these and a cute pair of AGL ballet flats in addition to my Aquatalia booties. And my trusty Reef flip flops which I will wear at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland and double as slippers for the rest of the trip. As a bonus, they're all broken in. The only possible issue is lack of a sturdy shoe if we hit some trails in Iceland or southern France but I can't justify a heavy shoe for only three days in Iceland!

Your shoes are much like walking shoes worn in Europe and if they feel good then wear them. My daughter (who is 28) chose some shoes for me this past weekend when she was home and they aren't that different from yours. She lives in DC and most of the young women are wearing the male inspired shoes which are also highly popular here. This is a link to my shoes by Cole Haan.

http://www.colehaan.com/zerogrand-wingtip-oxford-black-suede/D44060.html?dwvar_D44060_color=Black Suede&dwvar_D44060_width=B#cgid=womens_shoes_zerogrand&start=13

I chose the suede and the shoe could only weigh a few ounces plus it is like walking on a cloud. The soles are white which is a noticeable comparison and I wasn't sure I would feel just right in them until I walked in the shoe. At that point I didn't care if the soles were white. My daughter informed me the ****e is part of the style! One last comment, most of the young women chose the shiny leather rather than the suede. I chose suede due to its softness since my feet are so compromised by rheumatoid arthritis.
These do look comfy, izzy. I wish I could wear lace-up shoes, but I have a bone spur on the top of my foot. Oh, the joys of aging! :lol:

View attachment 3478542
Maybe I will just stick with my tried and true Clarks mary janes. See exhibit A above. I have put countless miles on those shoes while traveling and my feet never once hurt. They're not the most attractive shoe (trust me) and I was hoping to find something new and cuter but maybe I bring these and a cute pair of AGL ballet flats in addition to my Aquatalia booties. And my trusty Reef flip flops which I will wear at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland and double as slippers for the rest of the trip. As a bonus, they're all broken in. The only possible issue is lack of a sturdy shoe if we hit some trails in Iceland or southern France but I can't justify a heavy shoe for only three days in Iceland!
You look terrific, CDM! I think your shoe plan makes a lot of sense. Backups on top of backups... nothing more important than comfy shoes at all times when traveling! I love AGL ballet flats; I own far too many of them. :graucho:
Iceland sound so exciting! Have you been there before?

Reactions: can_do_mom
View attachment 3478542
You look wonderful, and the shoes are perfect!

Reactions: can_do_mom
Aw, thanks Elaine and Barbee! No, I have never been to Iceland! Just to make life exciting we are renting a manual transmission car and I will be the driver. Ha ha! It's a short visit, just three days. We are flying Iceland Air (first time) and have always wanted to see Iceland so it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Purchased these two Hermes scarves in the summer on a whim because of the color mix in the scarves. I almost returned them but the colors which are similar go wonderfully with my clothes. There is only one problem and that is it doesn't seem to be in my DNA to be able to tie a scarf so it looks nice. I will use the larger one as more of a wrap and the smaller one who knows unless I can finally tie something decently.

The Cheval Surprise is just lovely - great CW - never seen this one - been waiting for one I really like to come along - this may be it !

View attachment 3478542
Love the Mary Jane look, CDM...the whole look is terrific!

Love the Mary Jane look, CDM...the whole look is terrific!
Thanks, Skyqueen! That was at Versailles a few years ago. I wear scarves more when I travel. I don't know why that is because I love scarves! I think I need to up my fashion game right here at home. I should watch the scarf tutorial posted here a few days ago, by Elaine, I believe? :smile:
Speaking of scarves, I have a question. I've noticed that many of you wrap your purse handles with scarves? Is that to protect the handle? It looks so nice! I'm assuming you don't use your nicer scarves to do this? And how do you get them to stay in place? Thanks for any enlightenment!

Oh my gosh. I am so clumsy at this! I was trying to reply to Meg! Meg, you have an amazing eye for fashion and look fabulous! I hope your knee heals quickly and without surgery. It seems as I am aging I manage to injure myself without even trying. Ack! Lately it's been my back bothering me. I've been going to the chiropractor and am thinking I need to give yoga a whirl when I return from traveling.

Thank you so much. I love fashion and color.

Thank you Meg. I know that, unfortunately,
you're not a stranger to this, going through this yourself with your two handsome boys recently. It's just so damn unfair and hurts so badly!!!!!!!!! :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:
It is unfair. It never gets any easier.
Meg. I must say that you are looking fabulous and fit (although I thought that before you lost weight!) Missed you here....glad you're back!
Thank you. I am going to try and get here more often. Life is busy and with the holidays coming up I don't have a lot of time but this one thread I should be able to keep up with. I miss you ladies when I am not here.
Looking lovely, Meg!
Since I retired I've put on 20 lbs. How the hell did that happen? :shocked: I stopped eating "crap" at night and have lost 12 lbs...8 lbs to go. I've never had to diet so this has come as a shock and not easy to do. On the bright side...a nice excuse to buy new clothes! :happydance:
Congratulations on the weight loss. It is so much harder after menopause. It's harder for me too when I can't be very active. I tend to eat out of boredom. I was in the habit of taking the boys for a nice long walk after dinner while my family ate dessert. It kept me from the mindless eating that I have become accustomed to at night. Hopefully, for the dogs sake and mine I will be back out there in a couple more weeks.

Reactions: oreo713
Oh, ugh. That really is bad news. I hope PT helps you. Do torn ligaments ever heal themselves? I know that partially-torn rotator cuffs in the shoulder can heal themselves with time (mine did) but I'm less familiar with knees.
Are you going to mall-walk? That could be dangerous, unless you were to wear a pair of blinders, or walk super-fast! :angel:
I don't think that a torn ligament can heal itself. I think I will need to strengthen the muscles around the ligaments. I am not going to walk the mall except for this past Tuesday. I am not walking fast enough to stay out of danger.

View attachment 3477908
Opinions please. What do you think of these shoes? My daughters (20 & 23) think they are hideous. I can't decide if they're ugly or so ugly they're kinda cute. I was wondering if they could take the place of my black Nikes on my trip. I bought them years ago thinking I'd use them as travel shoes (saw something similar in Europe years ago) and have never worn them. Maybe that's a sign. Ha ha! I won't be offended if you say they're ugly, trust me, I've already heard it from my girls. Don't know why the shoe decision is always the hardest when it comes to packing...
So ugly that they are cute. As Elaine said, make sure that they are comfortable. I just got a pair of black Brooks walking shoes from Zappos. They are truly hideous looking but if they help keep me stable and comfortable when walking I don't care that much.

View attachment 3478542
Very cute outfit!