Yellow Gold Wedding Jewelry

Yanno, I wear mostly silver jewelry but I do like the warmth of gold in my wedding set...
Thanks ladies, you made me confident that I didn't make a mistake in choosing what I did in the past...

And, I just had the thought - nothing wrong with one's jewelry indicating when one was married - it's romantic - especially if it indicates many years:tender:

I like what you said about nothing being wrong with jewelry indicating when you were married. I don't think I'll ever change my wedding band/e ring if I can help it. I think it's very romantic. That being said, I don't think that your rings really date you. I, myself, have a platinum set, but I have friends who have yg around my same age. I was once someone who had "only" silver toned metals but now am finding myself drawn to yellow gold for its warmth and now am finding that I may prefer it. It doesn't mean that I like my wedding set any less.....but it does mean I have to tolerate it not matching my current everyday necklace. I think your set is beautiful and you should only change it if that is what will really make you happy.

guess what? I just noticed last night that sarah jessica parker's wedding set is in YG. she's considered to be a style icon, so you see, YG is fantastic!!!

I also loved what you said about your thoughts on wedding jewelry being romantic. great sentiment, & ITA!

Hi,

I really like your current setting and I don't think it's "dated" looking either. I actually think it looks pretty modern with the wave to it.
I also agree that even if an engagement/wedding set has a dated look, that has a charm to it.

I've been married 10 years and my rings are yellow gold. I have always like yellow gold and felt it looked better on my skin tone. Yet, I have had moments when I wished I selected plantinum or white gold because so much of jewelry today is white metals. Ultimately though, I still love my yg rings and I wear both color metals frequently. I tell myself (not sure how accurate this is) that if I wear one mixed metal piece that it works as a transition between the wg and yg. :smile:

I like what you said about nothing being wrong with jewelry indicating when you were married. I don't think I'll ever change my wedding band/e ring if I can help it. I think it's very romantic. That being said, I don't think that your rings really date you. I, myself, have a platinum set, but I have friends who have yg around my same age. I was once someone who had "only" silver toned metals but now am finding myself drawn to yellow gold for its warmth and now am finding that I may prefer it. It doesn't mean that I like my wedding set any less.....but it does mean I have to tolerate it not matching my current everyday necklace. I think your set is beautiful and you should only change it if that is what will really make you happy.

-yes, it was a htought that came to me in a flash just as I was writing that post; DH actually gave me the e-ring on a plain generic band "so" I could pick a setting to put it in (he knows he has no idea of my tatste, even now after 30 years, he knows not to buy me jewelry LOL). I never liked what he picked, though I don't come right out and say it! Now he leaves it to me to buy what I want:graucho:

Last edited:
Hi,

I really like your current setting and I don't think it's "dated" looking either. I actually think it looks pretty modern with the wave to it.
I also agree that even if an engagement/wedding set has a dated look, that has a charm to it.

I've been married 10 years and my rings are yellow gold. I have always like yellow gold and felt it looked better on my skin tone. Yet, I have had moments when I wished I selected plantinum or white gold because so much of jewelry today is white metals. Ultimately though, I still love my yg rings and I wear both color metals frequently. I tell myself (not sure how accurate this is) that if I wear one mixed metal piece that it works as a transition between the wg and yg. :smile:

-Thanks, MM2. That's why I picked a two-toned setting - somehow I hate when I have a ring on in one metal and other jewelry on in the other color. Something compulsive about that!

guess what? I just noticed last night that sarah jessica parker's wedding set is in YG. she's considered to be a style icon, so you see, YG is fantastic!!!

I also loved what you said about your thoughts on wedding jewelry being romantic. great sentiment, & ITA!

-Cool! I am surprised, like I said, I went through the celebrity thread, and other than one or two yellow diamonds in gold setting, I saw very few in YG - I forget which ones in particular.

My mother was married in 1949, and her sister in 1961 - they have platinum settings. Any other correlations out there about when your mom was married and what color metal?

My mother was married in 1949, and her sister in 1961 - they have platinum settings. Any other correlations out there about when your mom was married and what color metal?

my grandma (mom's mom) was married in 1948 & had a platinum set. I think that's what everyone had then. my mom was married in 1968, & she has yellow gold (but YG looks best on her skin tone anyway). all of her 3 sisters also have YG...married in the 70s & 80s. my dad's sisters have mostly YG as I recall...married in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. my dad's mom was married in the 40s, & she has a YG set. I was married in 1991, & I chose platinum b/c white metals look best on me...no one had white metals then. my sisters were both married in the 2000s, & they both have YG b/c that color looks best on them. however, I think the white metals trend started in the late 90s. as I said, YG is coming back in a big way.

as far as I've observed, white metals were more popular in the first half of the 1900s, then it switched to YG. white metals came back in the late 90s, but the trend is moving toward YG again.

I'd love to hear what others have observed.

Last edited:
Its funny I read this, I actually logged on to TPF today to ask a similar question as I haven't been on in a while.
My bridal set is white gold and so is a lot of my jewelry. I had a baby in March and asked DH for something in Yellow Gold, I am going to change my bridal set into Yellow Gold also.

I have no idea why, I always said I would never wear yellow gold but i'm leaning towards it these days. I always thought Yellow Gold didn't suit me but now I really don't care! lol. I also see White gold as more as a investment to pass on to my kids.... i have no idea why I think that, I have great white gold jewelry!

Its funny I read this, I actually logged on to TPF today to ask a similar question as I haven't been on in a while.
My bridal set is white gold and so is a lot of my jewelry. I had a baby in March and asked DH for something in Yellow Gold, I am going to change my bridal set into Yellow Gold also.

I have no idea why, I always said I would never wear yellow gold but i'm leaning towards it these days. I always thought Yellow Gold didn't suit me but now I really don't care! lol. I also see White gold as more as a investment to pass on to my kids.... i have no idea why I think that, I have great white gold jewelry!

-put a pic in the reference thread when you get it:smile:

Interesting, we had the same question in mind recently. I wondered if I was weird or it was a silly question - but, instead, Great Minds think alike!

-That's my thinking, too.

I think you're right about the white metals coming back sometime in the late '90s - I got mine before that trend, and so I was feeling it was a little old fashioned. Instead, I was way ahead of the curve, LOL, if YG is coming back:smile:

waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the curve!!! all the girls who picked white metals to be trendy will be switching to YG. you have 2-tone anyway which is the ultimate cool!!! ;)

My mom got married in 1969, and had yellow gold. She has yellow gold for her second marriage, as well, in 2002. :smile: I can't remember exactly, but I think my grandmother's set was platinum -- but I was given other rings of hers, and pendants and a bracelet, and all of these are yellow gold.

I have a yellow gold set -- a three-stone ring with YG shank and platinum prongs (for strength), and YG band. I just like yellow gold, though skin-tone wise both YG and white metals look equally good on me. This may sound silly, but I think that as a child I saw gold -- and by gold, meaning the yellow color -- as the grown-up, expensive jewelry. Like, gifts of jewelry for special occasions from my parents were always gold, but costume jewelry that I could afford as a teenager was only silver. Which doesn't account for platinum and white gold, and my mom had some white gold and platinum pieces so I knew that not all of the expensive stuff was yellow only, but it's funny the things that stick with you as a kid. And as you can see from the Cartier Love and Tiffany collection threads, it definitely stuck with me!