Wool Sweater Dress Shrunk :(

Apr 22, 2018
I took my 100% wool sweater dress to dry cleaning. The sweater dress's label says "dry cleaning" only, and I was too lazy to hand wash on my own (which proved to be a mistake). Fast forward a week, I went to pick up my sweater dress and didn't get home until late. By the time I was ready to hang my sweater dress, the dry cleaner was closed - I noticed my wool sweater dress shrunk! There is no way that the long sleeves are the same length as the dress itself! I was so mad! This is my only white sweater dress and it is my favourite.

I am glad I don't spend that much on my clothing. The sweater dress is not luxury price point, but $200 is still a lot of money.

Would you go back to the dry cleaner and question them? But, then I thought - what's the point? They are not going to admit any wrongdoings. I certainly won't go to them for dry cleaning ever again.

Do you hand wash all your clothing made with wool?

• Angry
Reactions: A bottle of Red
I am sorry this happened to you. I don’t hand wash all my wool clothing. I would still go back to see what the dry cleaner says. If they are reputable they may at least compensate you some.

I know this may sound odd but I think that sometimes you can stretch a wool sweater. If you Google it directions in doing this will come up. I have never done this myself though, just thought I would mention it.

I am sorry this happened to you. I don’t hand wash all my wool clothing. I would still go back to see what the dry cleaner says. If they are reputable they may at least compensate you some.

I know this may sound odd but I think that sometimes you can stretch a wool sweater. If you Google it directions in doing this will come up. I have never done this myself though, just thought I would mention it.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile:! I'll keep that in mind for next time. I am guessing it would only work if I stretch it while the sweater dress is still wet? Of course, by the time I picked it up from the dry cleaner, it was all dry and folded up nicely - so, I didn't even realize it has shrunk until I got home. Lesson learned - if too lazy to wash delicate clothing by hand, maybe I shouldn't have bought it. Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile:! I'll keep that in mind for next time. I am guessing it would only work if I stretch it while the sweater dress is still wet? Of course, by the time I picked it up from the dry cleaner, it was all dry and folded up nicely - so, I didn't even realize it has shrunk until I got home. Lesson learned - if too lazy to wash delicate clothing by hand, maybe I shouldn't have bought it. Sigh.
I think this method is for a sweater that is already dry. I do not have any experience with this method but before you discard or throw your dress away I thought it might be worth a try!

Reactions: PineappleMinnie
Your story is exactly why I check every piece of clothing before leaving the building. I brought in brand new with tags a dress to be cleaned. The dry cleaner left some type of spots on the dress. They wasn't expecting me to examine the dress and I said pull your video showing me cutting off the tags on the dress because I didn't buy it with spots on it. Of course they tried to tell me that's how I brought it in.

I think this method is for a sweater that is already dry. I do not have any experience with this method but before you discard or throw your dress away I thought it might be worth a try!

Thank you! I’ll give it a try! My husband said I should just wear it as a sweater :oh:.

Reactions: Mimmy
Your story is exactly why I check every piece of clothing before leaving the building. I brought in brand new with tags a dress to be cleaned. The dry cleaner left some type of spots on the dress. They wasn't expecting me to examine the dress and I said pull your video showing me cutting off the tags on the dress because I didn't buy it with spots on it. Of course they tried to tell me that's how I brought it in.

I brought in a total of 6 items, and the sweater dress was one of them. I should have checked each item, one by one, before leaving the store.

Yes, that’s exactly my thought. They would likely say - that’s how it was when you dropped it off.

$200 sweater dress that I only have worn once, ruined :sad:.

• Sad
Reactions: mzbaglady1
Thank you! I’ll give it a try! My husband said I should just wear it as a sweater :oh:.
I really could sympathize with what happened. It might be worth a try.

I had something similar happen. After picking several items up from being dry cleaned I went home and had what looked like a cigarette burn in a favorite romper! I don’t smoke and no one in my household does either!

I took it back and as you suspect your dry cleaner would say, they took no responsibility for it. They lost me as a customer which was bad for both of us. Previously they were my favorite dry cleaner and I always took them a lot of clothing.

I still don’t check my dry cleaning when I pick it up but I probably should.

Reactions: mzbaglady1
I really could sympathize with what happened. It might be worth a try.

I had something similar happen. After picking several items up from being dry cleaned I went home and had what looked like a cigarette burn in a favorite romper! I don’t smoke and no one in my household does either!

I took it back and as you suspect your dry cleaner would say, they took no responsibility for it. They lost me as a customer which was bad for both of us. Previously they were my favorite dry cleaner and I always took them a lot of clothing.

I still don’t check my dry cleaning when I pick it up but I probably should.

Exactly! I had taken my clothes to them for dry cleaning several times. But, not anymore. They lost me as a customer.

You should check all your items before leaving the store... at least, that’s the lesson I learned. Sigh.

I have since re-purchased my sweater dress.

I have not bought a single handbag this year so far. Instead, I spent a bit more money on clothing. And bought 2 rings.

I want the Garden Party 36 in black, but I figured, I have to slow down my spending.

Reactions: Mimmy