Will Temporary Hair Dye Ruin My Hair?

ambrosia

Mar 19, 2006
I feel like a little change, so I was thinking of dying my hair with the temporary (6-12 washes) sort of hair dye.

Will this ruin my hair? I haven't dyed it in about 2 years and have been working very hard to make it healthy again and it is doing well (I bleached for about 5 years before that and it was all fried). I'd really like a quick change, but I don't want to do it if it is going to ruin all of the hard work I have put into my hair.

Anyone have any experiences with this?

Thanks!

I use Clairol Natural Instincts a few times during the winter to make my hair a bit darker and it has never hurt it. The conditioning cream they give works pretty well IMO. I've only gone a shade or two darker so I don't know if going more than that or a drastic change would do more damage.

no.adding color doesnt ruin your hair.......bleaching or lightening DOES.However.i would ONLY use a professional to dye my hair....also ask for a clear glaze after color..It adds a TON of shie and protects your hair further.

Nope, you'll be fine ;) Bleaching is really the only thing that will seriously damage your hair. If you dye your hair even with permanent dye, it will be okay. You just need to give it a break of a few months before dyeing it again.

Temporary color only sits on top of the hair shaft...it doesn't really penetrate I don't think. They're better if you want to go darker because they don't really have that much of a "lift" to them. And most have no ammonia or peroxide so they're really gentle.

I don't think it'll make any damage. I think those semi-permanent dyes contain no ammonia or peroxide which are the things that will wreak havoc on your hair if used too much or too often. You're good to go! And remember to show us how it turns out!