Why pay so much for anything other then leather?

IMO they are. Most of the bags are around $2,000 and climbing, and while they're decently made, you're REALLY paying for the name. The jewelry, in particular, is nothing but average, and if it went down the runway, triple or quadruple the price. 90% of their revenues come from the accenssories, fragrances and cosmetics, and they'll price them quite high. It strikes me as funny that the company started out pushing clothes, and now they're a very minor part of the whole enterprise.

I agree...I think Chanel bags are the most overrated out of them all....

The material and workmanship, to me, is not worth the price. I do think that it is 100% brand pushing rather than quality...I have seen many a Chanel bag get damaged too quickly...although I do think that they are pretty...

Goyard canvas is made of cotton/linen/hemp coated with gummi arabicum. no plastic ;)

:yes: Absolutely not plastic. They are light (I hate it when you pick up a leather bag and it's so heavy even when it's empty:lol: ) and very good quality. They have been around a loooong time and have the best customer service in their SF store. :flowers:

I also love LV canvas because it is so durable and always looks good. Canvas and leather are just two types of material. I bet in the case of Goyard or other companies who go through many steps to make their canvas it's actually more expensive than cowhide.

Ok girlies let's get it straight! :yes: The classic Louis Vuitton monogram is NOT made of canvas. It is made of vinyl and that's why it's so durable. Louis Vuitton does make other leathers, epi and vernis, which are both water resistant. Goyard is made of cotton and linen and is then glazed over with a light plasic, which also makes it waterproof and durable.

Ok girlies let's get it straight! :yes: The classic Louis Vuitton monogram is NOT made of canvas. It is made of vinyl and that's why it's so durable. Louis Vuitton does make other leathers, epi and vernis, which are both water resistant. Goyard is made of cotton and linen and is then glazed over with a light plasic, which also makes it waterproof and durable.

their website calls it monogram canvas (which i believe is coated):shrugs:

Part of the price defintely goes to name, but I do think these bags are much better quality and have better resale than say a Guess bag.

I think there's always a place for the LV mono canvas... (or Goyard, if you like that pattern) I've had some of my LV pieces for 4-5 years and they still look great, with minimal wear even after regular use. You can go out in the rain, put in down on the floor, and just wipe clean! Much lower maintenance than leather, and you still get the pleasure of carrying a designer bag, rather than a vinyl/PVC Guess bag.

When I sold the line, a woman came in one day to get the special red bag she'd special ordered. The next day she was at the mall with her friends, and the red was rubbing off on her white skirt. We took it back and put her things in one of the store's bags. Even then, that little thing was about $1,200, and it was a total waste of money.

I agree...I think Chanel bags are the most overrated out of them all....

The material and workmanship, to me, is not worth the price. I do think that it is 100% brand pushing rather than quality...I have seen many a Chanel bag get damaged too quickly...although I do think that they are pretty...