why do we splurge on bags that will go out of style?

"Fashion is for those who have no understanding of style".
I don't think things go out of style, they go out of fashion. Fashion and trends dictate availability.
Great quote!
AND don't forget marketing...I've seen the damnedest bags (JMHO) marketed in such a way they become a "hit"! Go figure..................

Some bags do go out of style and eventually expire, , they will always be a reminder of the time they were popular in, they don't have the ability to adapt with changing styles and preferences, for example the fendi baguette and spy bags, they will always look like they should be worn with handkerchief tops and platforms from the the early noughties
Fashion does a full circle, but not everything comes back in fashion, out of all the 80s hits only a few trends have been adapted and modified to fit modern times,
Even Chanel bags from that era looks blingy and OTTD compared to the ones made in the later 90s and beyond,

Great quote!
AND don't forget marketing...I've seen the damnedest bags (JMHO) marketed in such a way they become a "hit"! Go figure..................

:ty:
You're SO right on the marketing point - looking back, I can't believe the kind of things that have been in fashion/trendy in the past years. Not trying to insult anyone/hoping noone will take it to themselves, but the Spy is one of them. I just don't get it. A very odd bag indeed. :weird:

Although I love the look of the Chanel bags with irridescent hardware.. I'm thinking it's just one of those trendy bags. My sa sent me a pic of it, very catchy to the eyes...

Attachments

• 1448771932344.jpg
    1448771932344.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 242
:ty:
You're SO right on the marketing point - looking back, I can't believe the kind of things that have been in fashion/trendy in the past years. Not trying to insult anyone/hoping noone will take it to themselves, but the Spy is one of them. I just don't get it. A very odd bag indeed. :weird:
LOL! I have a few more on my list!

I splurge on items I love that are my style. They may go in and out of fashion, so I like to have something that lasts during those time periods where everything doesn't suit my tastes. I buy things for the long term and don't view apparel and accessories as investments.

I never can buy bags as a "investment" where I am hoping it will retain it value or "increase" over time. Not even for a "iconic" or "classic" bags.
I always look at luxury bags as cars. Once you bought it at the store and use it-the value of the products depreciate.

I could never spend on a used bag at current retail price or above when I can get the same bag in the store brand new. Unless the bag is discontinued, I sure will spend what ever amount-becasue I want it and be the one to get it before others get their chance. :cray:
Unless the condition is not worth it at what ever price, or if I cannot get the seller to lower it to where I feel it should be worth at...Forget it.

thank you! exactly. im not a lv person myself and chanel flaps are out of my reach and not exactly my style but it feels nerve-wracking a bit that the bag you like will be considered unwanted and not current one day whereas lv, chanel and bottega bags remain current always. so what's the point of buying other brands since you will be forced to sell them one day not because you consider them an investment no just because you will look weird rocking them

Why would you look weird rocking an old bag? I sometimes carry my Fendi Chameleon or Miu Miu Vitello Lux, never feel weird and if I see someone carrying Chloe Paddington or Fendi Silvana, they don't look dated to me. The bags themselves might look dated but it's how you style yourself. If you carry Chloe Paddington and dress up like those chicks in Justin Bieber's 'I'm Sorry' song then yes, you'll look dated.

hey dear fellow purse lovers !!
Ive been thinking for a great while and this's really weighing on me... Is it that savvy in the long run to invest into bags that are being sold only for a limited amount of time meaning itll be easy to date them and they are likely to be dated in severeal years' time. Say, I currently hold YSL Cabas Chyc, YSL Roady in white, Tod's Shade to name but a few. I love them to bits but what with having a family and buying a home i don't think ill be willing to splurge on a designer high-end piece and Ill stick with these bags. So ive been thinking that maybe it is wiser to invest only into bottega veneta and chanel bags since they are constantly there. What are you thoughts? hm
i really love my bags and don't want to part with them but not sure ill be able to sell them in 4 years(((

It's a real dilemma for sure. I once thought about this, I would love for my bags purchases to be timeless and classic after all that $$$ that I paid for them. But I'm easily bored and sometimes am taken with seasonal or interesting bags styles/designs, in fact the minimalistic trend disagrees with my personality.

I think premier designers generally hold their value very well, better than contemporary ones, and with their price increases, as long as you take care of the bags, you can probably even make a profit should you ever need to sell, as they will always command a good market. Use the bags lightly and rotate them very rigorously to delay wear and wear. Good luck with solving the dilemma!

Why would you look weird rocking an old bag? I sometimes carry my Fendi Chameleon or Miu Miu Vitello Lux, never feel weird and if I see someone carrying Chloe Paddington or Fendi Silvana, they don't look dated to me. The bags themselves might look dated but it's how you style yourself. If you carry Chloe Paddington and dress up like those chicks in Justin Bieber's 'I'm Sorry' song then yes, you'll look dated.

I agree with you! Plus the fact that of I spend a LOT of money on a bag I want to be able to use it for years. I only recognize a bag as trendy because it would be one I see everywhere. I don't want to be like everyone else.

But seriously some bags do look dated, no matter how you dress, it doesn't change it, it works for some bags, if you want to achieve the "this bag belonged to my mum in the 90s and I'm cool enough to make it work" but it doesn't work for the majority,

No matter how it gets styled or teamed up with a fendi spy or vanity will always be dated,

But seriously some bags do look dated, no matter how you dress, it doesn't change it, it works for some bags, if you want to achieve the "this bag belonged to my mum in the 90s and I'm cool enough to make it work" but it doesn't work for the majority,

No matter how it gets styled or teamed up with a fendi spy or vanity will always be dated,

Only to the fashion savvy people. Most don't even know what bags are trendy and which ones aren't. And there are more people who don't care than those who do.

I don't plan on selling my bags so I buy what I will use and love regardless of whether it will go out of style. If I love it and it fits with my personal style, I will never be "over" it, regardless of what is or isn't currently trendy.