why do we splurge on bags that will go out of style?

I think the spending lots of money on bags in general that may go out of style is something else. The structured boxy tote is really popular now judging by my commute, slouchy, more casual satchels less so. If everyone had their own style it wouldn't matter but yes there is a bigger trend picture. However, things move cyclicly and shapes, sizes and colours make a return after a few years' absence.

For that reason spending not too much money on trends for now or occasional wear, and more on classic styles and colours seems like a good plan. That's not what I do BTW, but I think it's most sensible.

I feel if you keep trying to buy a handbag to keep up with fashion you will never be satisfied. Seems as if you're buying the handbag for others and not yourself. Others who care less about what you carry

I agree....I hate the feeling that my bag looks outdated...one reason I never buy Gucci... I think you should look at ur collection with practical eye and determine which bags u feel may become dated and u want to rid itself of... Then send to the major consignments online to see what they are willing to buy them from u for. Also make a list of ur classics that u will need to replace and go from there. 1 out 1 in from your list

I actually love Gucci exactly for the opposite. It's classic and timeless.

Me too

No brand has the monopoly on classic or trendy

Funny how some people think that a brand denotes a style :shrugs:

I think you need to really drill down the problem. Is it the style of your current bags or what they'll be worth in 4 years?

If having a family and buying a house is relatively new territory for you, you may be having a bit of an identity crisis. I don't say this in judgement, just that big life changes can cause us to redefine who we are and then, what we wear/how we present ourselves to the world.

I think your current bags are pretty classic. At the very least, they are understated and therefore not trendy. I doubt anyone will be looking at you wearing them and thinking how horribly out of date you are (and if they are, they really need to examine their own priorities!).

If the bags just don't feel like "you" anymore, and you no longer want to carry them, then sell and buy something that is a better fit. But if you are worried about finances, hang on to what you have -- they are lovely bags -- and start a rainy day fund for a new bag to buy "someday." But worrying about what will be in style in 4 years is a waste of time, imho. There are lots of trendy Chanels out there that will look dated in 4 years. Plus, who knows what your bag needs will be in that time?

If you want to be totally safe, save up for one of the ultimate classics (Hermes Birkin or Kelly, Chanel classic flap, Gucci hobo, Louis Vuitton Speedy, etc.) But be sure the style works for you. Those bags don't always recoup full value either depending on the condition of the bag and the saturation of the market.

At the end of the day, I guess my advice would be to keep what you have and really look at what works for you. If you're in transition in your life, don't make any big (expensive) or irreversible (selling a discontinued bag that you won't be able to get back) handbag decisions until you are through the transition and in a more stable place. HTH.

Very wise words

I don't really see any bags as "dated"... I just see bags I love or don't love :smile:

I say buy what you love, regardless of fashion, trends or "investment", and you will always enjoy it.

+1 Perfectly put & I fully agree [emoji4] I wouldn't worry whether or not if anyone cares what you're carrying as long as you love them! If you love them to bits as you say...carry away!!

I adore Hermes, Chanel, BV, but I'd say my heart is probably with Balenciaga as they feel like "home" to me. There's always a debate on whether or not the Motorcycle Line is "dated" circa 04-08 etc. Nicole Richie & Paris Hilton, but if I love them. To me, it doesn't make a difference if it's dated or not :smile: I always go back to them even though I will carry other brands [emoji259]

+1 Again

I think you need to really drill down the problem. Is it the style of your current bags or what they'll be worth in 4 years?

If having a family and buying a house is relatively new territory for you, you may be having a bit of an identity crisis. I don't say this in judgement, just that big life changes can cause us to redefine who we are and then, what we wear/how we present ourselves to the world.

I think your current bags are pretty classic. At the very least, they are understated and therefore not trendy. I doubt anyone will be looking at you wearing them and thinking how horribly out of date you are (and if they are, they really need to examine their own priorities!).

If the bags just don't feel like "you" anymore, and you no longer want to carry them, then sell and buy something that is a better fit. But if you are worried about finances, hang on to what you have -- they are lovely bags -- and start a rainy day fund for a new bag to buy "someday." But worrying about what will be in style in 4 years is a waste of time, imho. There are lots of trendy Chanels out there that will look dated in 4 years. Plus, who knows what your bag needs will be in that time?

If you want to be totally safe, save up for one of the ultimate classics (Hermes Birkin or Kelly, Chanel classic flap, Gucci hobo, Louis Vuitton Speedy, etc.) But be sure the style works for you. Those bags don't always recoup full value either depending on the condition of the bag and the saturation of the market.

At the end of the day, I guess my advice would be to keep what you have and really look at what works for you. If you're in transition in your life, don't make any big (expensive) or irreversible (selling a discontinued bag that you won't be able to get back) handbag decisions until you are through the transition and in a more stable place. HTH.

Beautifully put and really does point out the important issues. You absolutely have beautiful & classic bags and as stated above, an Hermes Kelly or Birkin is another timeless option, although, the price could be a turnoff, especially when a family, house, life is the main focus ;)

Again, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks. Just carry what you love and if you're concerned...stick to the classics!

Last edited:
I agree that trends are cyclical and in my view- even the Chanel classic can look outdated. In the 70's or early 80's who wanted to be seen with Chanel? It was just for old uncool people with too much money and no style. In any case if you buy a bag and then actually use it, after 4 years it will be too 'used' to be worth much anyway. Does this make sense?

I don't really see any bags as "dated"... I just see bags I love or don't love :smile:

I say buy what you love, regardless of fashion, trends or "investment", and you will always enjoy it.

Agreed. I wonder who or what actually decides when a bag is dated, if at all.

If a bag I want is designer and expensive, I take my time deciding if I really want it. Never do I consider it becoming dated or what I can sell it for. Any item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

Agreed. I wonder who or what actually decides when a bag is dated, if at all.

If a bag I want is designer and expensive, I take my time deciding if I really want it. Never do I consider it becoming dated or what I can sell it for. Any item is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

People in the fashion industry decide these things. How else could they combine you to part with more money?
I don't think true classics go out of style. Some styles come and go in popularity.
A nicely made bag looks great for years.
Copies/knockoffs not so much.
I think those really date.

"Fashion is for those who have no understanding of style".
I don't think things go out of style, they go out of fashion. Fashion and trends dictate availability.
Whether something fits in one's personal style after a while, is another question. The answer's in everyone's own sense of style and preferences. I splurge on bags I like, fashion is something to avoid IMO. But that's just my opinion, not saying it should dictate anyone else's way of thinking. :smile:

I agree that trends are cyclical and in my view- even the Chanel classic can look outdated. In the 70's or early 80's who wanted to be seen with Chanel? It was just for old uncool people with too much money and no style. In any case if you buy a bag and then actually use it, after 4 years it will be too 'used' to be worth much anyway. Does this make sense?

Perfectly!

There are people who 'play the market' don't use anything and stockpile bags (same with property) meanwhile they have nothing nice to carry (and add to a housing crisis). TBH, that whole mentality makes me want to :yucky: but apparently these are the people we are supposed to :worthy:

I'd second this. It's a very good advice.

Bottom line = I buy bags because I like the design, the style, the color. I don't buy with the expectation that I will be able to resell the bag later when I've grown tired of it. Bags are NOT an investment purchase.

Bottom line = I buy bags because I like the design, the style, the color. I don't buy with the expectation that I will be able to resell the bag later when I've grown tired of it. Bags are NOT an investment purchase.

So true, I never understood the concept of bags as "investments" like stock shares or properties, even with H bags and Chanel, people still prefer buying from stores, the number of people buying preloved is significantly lower than the bags offered on the secondhand market, and now it's reached a saturated point,

And What happens if you need to liquidate your bag investments ASAP?

Only buy for your own enjoyment and nothing more

Even if the bags aren't "dated" because of trend or fashion, you might still be bored of it. I think that's just humanity. People get bored of stuff, even the people they love sometimes. So maybe you shouldn't look at it like, im buying something that might be dated, but know that you are buying something, and that something you will be bored of one day, and accept it. And, if you're lucky, you might end up buying something/finding someone you love so much and never get bored of it/him/her :smile: