Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?

Please point out which part(s) of what I wrote was expressed in favor of counterfeiters.

I was merely expressing a more macroeconomic view of the entire counterfeit industry and how it affects luxury businesses - because money, distasteful as the subject is, talks.

Like pimpernel of europol said, it costs the EU billions of dollars in lost tax revenue and that fraud is hurting their pockets.

But the mods have warned, we are going off topic by condoning or condemning fakes. The title of this thread is afterall about why people own fakes - not to express a value judgment about those who own them.

Perhaps we can set up a separate thread for that and continue the conversation there?

The thread is regarding why people buy fakes-nothing to do with medicine, etc. You are free to your own opinions on the topic.

Your whole post points it out. You're calling people who are proud not to have any counterfeit bags as being on high horse.
I side eye everyone who carries fakes knowingly they're fake.

I'm calling out people who judge those who own fakes with blanket statements of "they are unethical and disgusting humans who prioritize fakes over others' suffering and terrorism"

That's a rather radical pov, as someone on p59 said, "Perspective, get some".

I do side-eye who own fakes knowingly, because it's dishonest to own one and I personally just feel like crap to even try to pass off something fake as real.

But as many others have chipped in on owners of fakes, there are a variety of reasons ranging from "dgaf about anything as long as getting it cheapest" -which we all roundly and rightly condemn- to plain ignorance of buying a fake, or not wanting to waste a resource once it's a sunk cost - an animal did die to make the skin for that bag, regardless of its label.

It is a disrespect and waste of many animals lives' to trash their skins - which they sacrificed- just because of human folly. But no, radicals are against even repurposing the bag because its origins are fake, and recommend burning all counterfeits (read from around p54)

I'm calling out those who have made those kinds of blanket statements as being on a high horse, and demonstrated much more suffering and terrorist funds come from our consumption of seemingly more innocuous products (fast fashion, diamonds from retail, and gas from Syria/other despot regimes).

I was just saying, they lack perspective. In a globalised world, you should care about the provenance of every single product you consume if you are concerned about human suffering and illegal activities.

In addition to fakes, you really shouldn't buy diamonds from retail if you don't want to fund terrorists. And yet this is a board on materialism, and I can't see the majority being able to give up their bling.

Because this is a board that's ultimately about luxury and displays of wealth, I can see how my perspective is an unpopular one.

And although I've repeatedly stated I'm against fakes, many insist in the belief I'm speaking in support of them. No, I was just pointing out the inadequacies of your moral arguments regarding suffering and terrorism, and offering the economic perspective on how fakes harm nations.

Is it not reason enough to act against fakes when they threaten a few governments' abilities to support and build upon their nation's infrastructure, and threaten the employment of many hundreds of thousands? Of course it is.

And really, that's all I have to say on this matter. I'm unsubscribing from this thread, because everyone who isn't a radical here gets roundly condemned by those who are.

Reactions: Rydori
I'm calling out people who judge those who own fakes with blanket statements of "they are unethical and disgusting humans who prioritize fakes over others' suffering and terrorism"

That's a rather radical pov, as someone on p59 said, "Perspective, get some".

I do side-eye who own fakes knowingly, because it's dishonest to own one and I personally just feel like crap to even try to pass off something fake as real.

But as many others have chipped in on owners of fakes, there are a variety of reasons ranging from "dgaf about anything as long as getting it cheapest" -which we all roundly and rightly condemn- to plain ignorance of buying a fake, or not wanting to waste a resource once it's a sunk cost - an animal did die to make the skin for that bag, regardless of its label.

It is a disrespect and waste of many animals lives' to trash their skins - which they sacrificed- just because of human folly. But no, radicals are against even repurposing the bag because its origins are fake, and recommend burning all counterfeits (read from around p54)

I'm calling out those who have made those kinds of blanket statements as being on a high horse, and demonstrated much more suffering and terrorist funds come from our consumption of seemingly more innocuous products (fast fashion, diamonds from retail, and gas from Syria/other despot regimes).

I was just saying, they lack perspective. In a globalised world, you should care about the provenance of every single product you consume if you are concerned about human suffering and illegal activities.

In addition to fakes, you really shouldn't buy diamonds from retail if you don't want to fund terrorists. And yet this is a board on materialism, and I can't see the majority being able to give up their bling.

Because this is a board that's ultimately about luxury and displays of wealth, I can see how my perspective is an unpopular one.

And although I've repeatedly stated I'm against fakes, many insist in the belief I'm speaking in support of them. No, I was just pointing out the inadequacies of your moral arguments regarding suffering and terrorism, and offering the economic perspective on how fakes harm nations.

Is it not reason enough to act against fakes when they threaten a few governments' abilities to support and build upon their nation's infrastructure, and threaten the employment of many hundreds of thousands? Of course it is.

And really, that's all I have to say on this matter. I'm unsubscribing from this thread, because everyone who isn't a radical here gets roundly condemned by those who are.

Honey, you forgot one thing. The title of this thread is Why People Buy Fake Designer Stuff and not Why Should We All Get Off The High Horse of Judging Those Who Buy Fake Designer Stuff.

I think it's pretty obvious why people buy fake. A lot of people are oblivious and don't know or care, others want the image but can't afford the real thing. That's all there is to it.

Honestly, who cares why? Seems a little passive aggressive of a question to me.

To each his own. JMO

Actually I think it's important to ask questions about anything, at all that we buy, even more so about things that may be illegal. A lot of people who buy fakes (or items made in sweatshops for that matter) simply do not know the horrors behind them and would not buy if they did. Honestly, I was quite shocked when I started researching things.

Actually I think it's important to ask questions about anything, at all that we buy, even more so about things that may be illegal. A lot of people who buy fakes (or items made in sweatshops for that matter) simply do not know the horrors behind them and would not buy if they did. Honestly, I was quite shocked when I started researching things.

Right, they don't know, but the original question was why do people buy fakes. And I think the reason why is pretty obvious, regardless if they know the repercussions or not.

Right, they don't know, but the original question was why do people buy fakes. And I think the reason why is pretty obvious, regardless if they know the repercussions or not.
It may be obvious to you, but it's still important to spread awareness about the horrific implications of the counterfeit trade. (and anything else made in poor conditions. That's how things change you know. Of course there are always people who prefer to turn a blind eye and find excuses.

It may be obvious to you, but it's still important to spread awareness about the horrific implications of the counterfeit trade. (and anything else made in poor conditions. That's how things change you know. Of course there are always people who prefer to turn a blind eye and find excuses.

I get it, but the thread wasn't about the effects of fakes and counterfeit goods. I understand how it eventually leads to that, but to me it sounds like the OP just wants to know why people buy fakes, and for that question alone, I feel is a pretty obvious answer. The effects of buying and producing fakes are not as obvious, but that is a different question.

And I don't condone fakes, and I've been trying to buy clothing made in countries with decent labor laws or are transparent about their manufacturing (Everlane is an example). I just think the answer to the original question is clear.

I get it, but the thread wasn't about the effects of fakes and counterfeit goods. I understand how it eventually leads to that, but to me it sounds like the OP just wants to know why people buy fakes, and for that question alone, I feel is a pretty obvious answer. The effects of buying and producing fakes are not as obvious, but that is a different question.

And I don't condone fakes, and I've been trying to buy clothing made in countries with decent labor laws or are transparent about their manufacturing (Everlane is an example). I just think the answer to the original question is clear.

The initial question asked by the thread starter was only the first question of a longer discussion. This thread is almost 70 pages long, so it's obviously a very interesting topic to a lot of people. If threads on an internet forum were solely about responding to the initial post, we'd have a lot of very boring echo chambers, but instead we get people asking follow up questions, posting answers, disagreements and explanations that eventually develop and turn into very interesting and informative discussions, like this one. It's pretty neat!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Because they like it! When I was 12, I once had a fake Coach shoulder bag that my dad bought me from Chinatown. Surprisingly, back then, fakes, like all other things, were really well made. I LOVED that bag!! I bought the exact same one but authentic a few years later because it was only $60 on eBay. By that time I had seen a few fakes on Canal Street and the quality of fakes has really gone downhill.

I also once bought a fake LV Mini Pleaty from China. The quality was pretty bad but I still loved it! I have such fond memories of carrying it around. Years later I saw and purchased that exact same bag on eBay, but now I can afford the real one AND it cost like a fourth of the retail price since years had passed. I think it's funny that the same bags that give me butterflies are the ones I used to have fakes of...even though those fakes were pretty randomly purchased/gifted to me.