Who else is utterly confused about Hermes selling policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm confused too... if you get obtain a croc from your husband's office why not do the same for a non-exotic?

There's actually an explanation! Basically, my husband works in a private office that belongs to a certain set of individuals who constantly order bags for their wives and families. Therefore, they have a direct contact inside. My husband is an employee... because he's been there for years, he can ask for favour here and there but he's not the one in charge at all! So I figured that if I had the chance to order a one-off, I made it a big purchase! I can't keep asking them regularly for favours because the person in the office who took care of it would actually end up getting in trouble.

I'm confused about the Harrods comments here. I've always found them to be extremely accomodating and generous.

My sister and I (we're both fairly modest and unassuming types) were browsing in Harrods H last month, I bought a single 90cm silk and had lots of freebees thrown in. My sister made it clear she wasn't buying, but the male SA told her that didn't matter and she could see and handle whatever she liked (she declined to go and see bags with him, and just admired a bolduc jersey scarf instead) whilst I had an embarrassingly big fuss made of me by the female SA, who for some reason seemed to love my vintage BBK and well-worn KenC shawl.

It's all very strange.

There's actually an explanation! Basically, my husband works in a private office that belongs to a certain set of individuals who constantly order bags for their wives and families. Therefore, they have a direct contact inside. My husband is an employee... because he's been there for years, he can ask for favour here and there but he's not the one in charge at all! So I figured that if I had the chance to order a one-off, I made it a big purchase! I can't keep asking them regularly for favours because the person in the office who took care of it would actually end up getting in trouble.

Just trying to understand what you've written...in prevous posts, you've said you are on the verge of getting your first birkin. And in this thread, you say you HAVE a croc birkin. And frankly, the way Hermes tends to work, if you could get an exotic, I really don't understand why you are having a hard time obtaining a leather bag.

I'm confused about the Harrods comments here. I've always found them to be extremely accomodating and generous.

My sister and I (we're both fairly modest and unassuming types) were browsing in Harrods H last month, I bought a single 90cm silk and had lots of freebees thrown in. My sister made it clear she wasn't buying, but the male SA told her that didn't matter and she could see and handle whatever she liked (she declined to go and see bags with him, and just admired a bolduc jersey scarf instead) whilst I had an embarrassingly big fuss made of me by the female SA, who for some reason seemed to love my vintage BBK and well-worn KenC shawl.

It's all very strange.

I made a post on page one of the thread saying I was a bit mean in the beginning lol... I have had wonderful experiences with Harrods SA's and Hermes SA's in general... in fact I have loads of friends that I've come known because they are SA's there so it isn't fair to say they were all unpleasant. I was just retelling recent experiences that happened to me and had really upset me. I thought it was relevant to the Hermes forum because actually a lot of mine friends have been complaining of experiencing similar situations recently. Today alone I spoke to a friend in LA and another in Paris who experienced something similar so I made the post.

But like I said, I've shopped in Harrods for years and have had great SA's help me out there. Its just that there seems to be something changing in the company policy and way they are dealing with Birkin requests.

Just trying to understand what you've written...in prevous posts, you've said you are on the verge of getting your first birkin. And in this thread, you say you HAVE a croc birkin. And frankly, the way Hermes tends to work, if you could get an exotic, I really don't understand why you are having a hard time obtaining a leather bag.

I didn't say I was on the verge of getting my first Birkin... I said I wanted a starter work bag because I just got a new job and need a work bag that's discreet! also, I said that my croc Birkin hasn't arrived yet! =)

"I still haven't received the croc... but I don't mind the wait at all! I'm just happy to have one on its way! =)"

I posted that on page 1 ! I said right above, I didn't get it through the Hermes store directly... I had it ordered through a private office and pulling favours! It does all actually make sense if you put the whole story together! lol... I'm looking for two bags: a work one that is not too obvious and a Birkin in Togo 35... One is for social and the other is for work! I'm waiting on my Croc and they do know me in store because I buy other items from Hermes lol confusion sorted?

I didn't say I was on the verge of getting my first Birkin... I said I wanted a starter work bag because I just got a new job and need a work bag that's discreet! also, I said that my croc Birkin hasn't arrived yet! =)

You did, actually....on Jan 21:

I'm in my early twenties... I'm just getting my first Birkin but I'm glad I waited a bit longer than most friends! When you've done everything and bought everything by the age of 25, there's not much left for the rest of your shopping life! I think its fun to enjoy every age and everything you can get away with! When I was 18... I was all about the pouchette's with cute flats and mini skirts. Then, when I got my first job I became all about the functional large Prada bags and as my career progressed it seemed time to reward myself with a Birkin.

I would try another store if I were you. I would try other stores in other countries....

So you will cross check all the informations you get from all different Sas in different stores and not get stuck on Harrods.

Then may be you will built your own opinion about H policies and shop accordingly.

Good luck in getting your Birkin asap!

wait you have a ordered a croc, i thought you said you only had scarves??? i am sooo confused LOL

Hello everyone! Until now, I have only been purchasing scarves, small accessories and clothes from Hermes. Things are about to change though because of a "job upgrade" and I feel like I need an elegant new work bag to match! I have seen two very attractive options at my local Hermes store: The Atlas and the Victoria bags! The two are stunning and practical, yet there is a thousand pound difference between the two. If there are other elegant yet discreet options, let me know! I am looking for a bag that will not necessarily steel the attention in the boardroom as I don't want to make others uncomfortable with my shopping addiction lol! Any suggestions?

Also, I did check that both fit my large agenda as well as my daily essentials!

---

edit: i hope everything is ok, because i thought you had a togo on order? what ever happened with that?

.....However, I am getting the Birkin in togo for social use =) I think its the perfect starter for my social Hermes collection its meant to come in 6 months to a year

Last edited:
"I still haven't received the croc... but I don't mind the wait at all! I'm just happy to have one on its way! =)"

I posted that on page 1 ! I said right above, I didn't get it through the Hermes store directly... I had it ordered through a private office and pulling favours! It does all actually make sense if you put the whole story together! lol... I'm looking for two bags: a work one that is not too obvious and a Birkin in Togo 35... One is for social and the other is for work! I'm waiting on my Croc and they do know me in store because I buy other items from Hermes lol confusion sorted?

Even more confused now.... this is what you wrote in the first post in this thread about the croc bag - so it hasn't been delivered to you yet?:

It did take a few months for delivery, but the whole ordeal was done over the phone!

I think the standoffish or rude response to requesting a spot on the waitlist is nothing new. Perhaps you've had more success in getting things in the past because you were looking for scarves or accessories rather than the elusive Birkin. The fact that you are getting a croc Birkin does not necessarily change how an SA responds to you, since a) you are ordering it using your husband's employer rather than your own name, and b) unless you announce it to the store as you walk in, nobody knows you have one...yet. And even so, if you are not a known customer at a given store, they are less inclined to offer you a Birkin in a popular color or even a spot on the waitlist, especially when there's probably a mile long list of people waiting to be called before you even walked in.

I have no clue about shortages in supply and don't know how anyone possibly could know unless they have access to a store's inventory or Birkin allocation. The VIP option at Harrods sounds like the quickest no hassle option if all it takes is the right amount of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.