Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Kelly Elan

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters

fatcat2523

Addicted to H
O.G.
Dec 5, 2009
Which one would get if you can only buy one?
- Kelly Padded 25 in black swift leather and gold hardward
- Kelly elan in black Mysore with silver hardward

Thinking to get padded at 1st as it was more unique and blue box. But then shoulder bag is more the hit at the moment, also didn’t have any similar style. However the size is 28cm wide.

Picture borrowers from IG.

IMG_5508.png

IMG_5507.png

I thought I would love the Elan in real life but in that pic it looks a bit… meh (also it could just be the pic but there looks to be damage or some kind of mark on the top of the flap which would be a deal breaker for me). So if I were set on one or other of those two individual bags I’d go for the padded Kelly. Ginza Xiaoma is pricey as @880 says but the bags are great.

Last edited:
Since OP says these two images are just borrowed (and QL posted multiple bags, I remember this post) I'm assuming the bags aren't the exact same that OP is considering.

I personally would take the padded Kelly but I have a collector mindset. You'd also have to be comfortable with Box calf and either be very careful, or live with the patina.

I don't like the Elan's strap connection (I know, picky picky, but it's off to me) although I like the overall design, and I prefer it in a combo other than black with PHW (I also think this particular black Elan is questionable overall). It also sounds like 28 cm feels really wide to the OP, which suggests to me that this bag won't work.

In this scenario, I would choose the Padded Kelly for two reasons:

1. I am quite utilitarian when it comes to bags in that all of the bags in my collection can serve several purposes or be worn in several ways. As this relates to your bag conundrum, the Padded Kelly will be able to serve more purposes namely due to its size and construction, and therefore I think it would be a better, more practical choice.
2. The Padded Kelly is in Swift leather, and I prefer Swift leather over Chèvre.

Reactions: Hermes Zen
In this scenario, I would choose the Padded Kelly for two reasons:

1. I am quite utilitarian when it comes to bags in that all of the bags in my collection can serve several purposes or be worn in several ways. As this relates to your bag conundrum, the Padded Kelly will be able to serve more purposes namely due to its size and construction, and therefore I think it would be a better, more practical choice.
2. The Padded Kelly is in Swift leather, and I prefer Swift leather over Chèvre.
You’re right the padded is Swift! I don’t know why Box was in my head LOL.
I would still take the padded. I wish the Elan were a bit different in its design.

Reactions: Veritybelle
I personally loved the Kelly Elan when I tried it on. It is a perfect everyday bag, and it fits a lot. I am considering adding the Kelly Elan in chèvre bleu saphir soon.

I really like the padded Kelly when it is closed, but when you open it, it looks off to me. The corners of the padded Kelly also age horribly between it being very soft/cushiony and it being swift leather. I saw a gold one worn recently, and all I could focus on were the squished and wrinkled corners. If you are buying the bag on the secondary market, it resales significantly less than all other special editions (as you can see on Fashionphile).

I would vote for the Kelly Elan, but I also don’t think the two are comparable. The Kelly Elan is an everyday bag to go get groceries and do errands while the Kelly padded is a bit more special and high maintenance.