Which of these would you consider designer?

Right, thanks for all of this information. I know Westwoods husband is the main designer now, but would you say her brand would be classed as premier or contemporary?

There are various categories within the house itself but they are all dependent on the strong (original) designs and conceptual visions of the main line e.g. Drunk Tailor Jacket. This is a characteristic of a premier designer.

Reactions: MaxDexter
Ralph Lauren is a heavily segmented brand. I would place their Purple Label and the now defunct Black Label lines in the premier designer category. Most of the rest are contemporary designer, and something like Jeans or Chaps probably wouldn't be on the forum.

I'm confused by Hugo Boss. Their lines I know of are Hugo Boss, BOSS, and HUGO. I've never heard of their Green label. I stay away from them because I don't understand the brand, but I would assume it's contemporary designer.

Emporio Armani is a solid contemporary designer diffusion brand of Giorgio Armani that makes nice items. Their quartz watches are on par with Burberry, and they make nice clothing you can wash instead of dry clean. They used to make really solid, good quality sterling silver jewelry with semi-precious stones that was IMO on par with what Tiffany and Gucci were putting out in the early 00s.

I'm not familiar with Versace Collection or Alberta Ferretti, so I can't place them. You may mean Versace Jeans, which is a diffusion brand.

The rest would be contemporary, I guess, except Hilfiger, which I consider a streetwear brand a la Nautica, Fila, etc.

EDIT: OK I guess Versace has way more diffusion labels than I ever knew, including Collection, Jeans, Jeans Couture, and Versus. The more you know!

Last edited:
Ralph Lauren is a heavily segmented brand. I would place their Purple Label and the now defunct Black Label lines in the premier designer category. Most of the rest are contemporary designer, and something like Jeans or Chaps probably wouldn't be on the forum.

I'm confused by Hugo Boss. Their lines I know of are Hugo Boss, BOSS, and HUGO. I've never heard of their Green label. I stay away from them because I don't understand the brand, but I would assume it's contemporary designer.

Emporio Armani is a solid contemporary designer diffusion brand of Giorgio Armani that makes nice items. Their quartz watches are on par with Burberry, and they make nice clothing you can wash instead of dry clean. They used to make really solid, good quality sterling silver jewelry with semi-precious stones that was IMO on par with what Tiffany and Gucci were putting out in the early 00s.

I'm not familiar with Versace Collection or Alberta Ferretti, so I can't place them. You may mean Versace Jeans, which is a diffusion brand.

The rest would be contemporary, I guess, except Hilfiger, which I consider a streetwear brand a la Nautica, Fila, etc.

EDIT: OK I guess Versace has way more diffusion labels than I ever knew, including Collection, Jeans, Jeans Couture, and Versus. The more you know!
I really liked your answer.

Green label by Hugo Boss used to be the sportswear range from the brand. Its all just BOSS now.

Yeah, Versace Collection was supposed to be above the jeans line, but below the mainline. Prices are similar to Emporio.

Reactions: amateurjeweler

Why do you think Hugo Boss is a contemporary designer but Tommy Hilfiger is not?

Why do you think Hugo Boss is a contemporary designer but Tommy Hilfiger is not?
I just get the feeling that TH is going for more of a streetwear vibe and HB is going for more of a contemporary vibe. I think some time in the 90s TH was adopted by streetwear aficionados and the brand embraced it. I'm not aware of the same for HB. It's also subjective, like why I feel Supreme is a streetwear brand but Off-White is a contemporary brand. It's just the vibes the brands give off.

I just get the feeling that TH is going for more of a streetwear vibe and HB is going for more of a contemporary vibe. I think some time in the 90s TH was adopted by streetwear aficionados and the brand embraced it. I'm not aware of the same for HB. It's also subjective, like why I feel Supreme is a streetwear brand but Off-White is a contemporary brand. It's just the vibes the brands give off.
You mean like streetwear designers?

Is a gorgeous bag Gianni Versace Couture was the Ready to wear label next to Haute Couture Versace Atelier in the 90s kind of crazy to call the rtw couture and couture Atelier but Gianni Versace rtw was as good as atelier and became more iconic IMO GV Couture is pretty much the line where you saw the supermodels strutting and the celebs rocking . so i will classify any Gianni Versace or Gianni Versace Couture the top line. Just like Giorgio Armani Prive and Giorgio Armani just that one is made to measures and fully handmade and the other is semi handmade machine-stitched with universal sizings and ready to buy at boutiques.