Where to start? Personal project or get a professional?

Snowmin

Sep 18, 2015
Hello to the Bag Restorers on here,

My mum has had these two bags at the back of the closet for many years. She doesn’t know how to look after leather bags.
The brown leather one was bought in 1982 and reminds me a bit of some of the popular styles out at the moment with the 3-compartment split.
She loves the beige/fabric one, which used to have a thin layer of leather inside, but is now breaking apart. It is over 30 years old.

It looks quite degraded and I assume it’s a case of getting it professionally assessed?
I am based in the UK so if you know of UK restorers, please share their details. Thanks!

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpegIMG_2407.jpegIMG_2408.jpeg

IMG_2410.jpegIMG_2419.jpegIMG_2411.jpegIMG_2413.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

Are you sure the brown one is leather? It looks like it might be vinyl. The other one, the Ganson, is worth about $16-30 today. It just doesn't make sense to invest any funds in either of these bags, which were inexpensive new and have essentially no value now. The money could instead be used to find Mom a nice new bag she'd enjoy.

Definitely get a restorer's quote but I agree with @jellyv , the quote will be more than the current market value of the bag.

Personally, I don't believe a handbag restoration should cost more than 8-10% of the current value of the bag depending on the complexity.

Still, sentimental value is immeasurable so do what your heart tells you.

Hello to the Bag Restorers on here,

My mum has had these two bags at the back of the closet for many years. She doesn’t know how to look after leather bags.
The brown leather one was bought in 1982 and reminds me a bit of some of the popular styles out at the moment with the 3-compartment split.
She loves the beige/fabric one, which used to have a thin layer of leather inside, but is now breaking apart. It is over 30 years old.

It looks quite degraded and I assume it’s a case of getting it professionally assessed?
I am based in the UK so if you know of UK restorers, please share their details. Thanks!

View attachment 5821794

View attachment 5821795View attachment 5821796View attachment 5821797

View attachment 5821798View attachment 5821799View attachment 5821800View attachment 5821801

View attachment 5821802
For reliable restoration in the UK I would recommend
The handbag clinic (handbag clinic.co.uk)
or Bag Spa (bag-spa.co.uk)
Or theres another company called The Restory.
However as previously mentioned by others the cost of restoration would almost certainly be more than the value of the bags pictured.
I is certainly worth reaching out to the companies to get a quote if your mother loves the bags or it may be worth looking on ebay for similar replacements.
good luck

The price might not be worth it but I got ink stains on a leather jacket taken out professionally and for me it was worth every penny - but only because I knew I'd never find another one like it.

Reactions: Snowmin