when do you justify, it's the right time to buy a B or K?

Happy birthday! It seems to me the crux of the matter in your situation is dealing with the guilt of luxury spending. You’ve taken responsible financial steps in your life, when would it be reasonable to allow yourself to indulge if that’s what you want?

I really like what Dave Ramsey said about wealth. It’s not just all about saving and growing your assets. You should use it to enjoy life as well as charity giving.

Think about it this way, your friend already took care of the Prespend for you so you’re already at least getting it 50% off it not 66%. If it soothes your conscience you could donate the prespend.
yes.. i alr do charity giving - $, effort and time. plus, as part of my work, i raised big sum for the society.

im conscious to be whole rounded conscious human being.

the pre spend amts are mostly gifts for business instead on the person's personal use.

Reactions: addiCCted
Happy birthday! Just a personal anecdote, and apparently very different opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, and please dont judge my humble upbringings (but with a big spending habit) :smile:

Right when I was out of college, I saw this person from a VC that used to come out to help out at the start up that I was working at. She would always carry, I thought at the time was the most gorgeous Prada handbag, and I said to myself (and to my then-boyfriend, now husband, so he could hold me accountable) that I would buy that same bag once I started making over $100k. Then in just a few years, I did (this is with stocks because that im living that SF tech life) :smile: so then I was like ok, I have a lot of other things I need to spend money on, so I'll buy it once I make over $100k in just base salary. And that only took a couple years after that. So in my mid-20s, I had hit my goal. I didnt get the Prada (because tastes change) but I did get a YSL, which at the time was the most expensive handbag I had purchased all on my own (i.e. not with parents money or monetary gifts received from family, lol). A discretion that I grew up in a practical household, in which rolex was the most expensive luxury good purchased (excluding real estate).

The thing is, there's always going to be an area where money is "better spent", whether that's investments, saving for down payment, student loans, travel, etc. But I personally believe if you think that way, the right time is never going to come.

As long as you meet a specific goal (e.g. when student loan is 100% paid off; have enough for a down payment on a house; saved 100k in 401k; have 6 mo salary saved up as emergency funds, etc) i think its OK to splurge and reward yourself.

As long as you meet a specific goal (e.g. when student loan is 100% paid off; have enough for a down payment on a house; saved 100k in 401k; have 6 mo salary saved up as emergency funds, etc) i think its OK to splurge and reward yourself.
thanks for the bday wish :smile:

your point is exactly why i posted here :smile: i used to think that once i met more goals ( all those), i would..
but i still couldn't spend the $..
that's why i sought for more opinion on h lovers :smile:

• Love
Reactions: Fixxi
I think your question shows that now is not the right time for you.
Possibly the 'right time' might never come.
The question brings into focus your doubts about whether you really want a B or K.
You might like the idea of having one, but deep down you don't want one that much, so cannot justify the spend. As others have written, don't feel obligated.

The 'right' time will be when you want a B or K and are fortunate enough to be in the position to get one. For some people giving themselves a present like this is their reward for some milestone of achievement. It must be pretty clear to most of us that you do not need that kind of incentive; you know what you want to achieve and accomplishing those things is reward in itself for you.

Use your material success to facilitate what you really want, not what you think you should have.

Congratulations on your success and happy birthday!
I think it's ok to indulge but it's also ok not to buy the h bag, either because deep down you don't think it's really worth it, or because you choose to buy bespoke instead, or just splurge on something else that you feel is more worthwhile to yourself.
Don't feel pressured by the H status symbol
thanks for the wish and congratulations, and for comforting my choice atm :smile:

Happy birthday!

I have wrestled with much of this myself. You'll know when it feels comfortable for you. No one needs a bag, of course, beyond a simple sack. What matters is what makes you happy.

If a donation to a charity feels better than buying a bag, that is wonderful. Do it!

If an amazing trip holds more value in its experience than a bag, that is wonderful also. Do it!

If you need to think about your personal life philosophy, and how you want to spend your time here, and reconcile big "frivolous" spends with those thoughts, you are far from alone.

It's more than OK to reward yourself for hard work with something you have wanted for a long time, but the only thing that matters there is what fits within your life, philosophy, beliefs. If the pressure for the bag is external...those people don't matter. You've proven whatever there is to "prove" ...it's now 1000% fine to say no if you aren't ok with it.

Happy Birthday! With what you posted, it seems like money is not the problem why you are not buying the bag. That said, you don't have to force yourself to buy something you don't wholeheartedly want. It's okay not to like something even if a lot of people like it. If you have the funds yet still have to justify that purchase in your mind, maybe you don't really love the item. You can wait until you are certain that that is what you truly like.
Today is my birthday ...

I'd my "offer" in my 20s, post graduation.
I turned it down because I felt, with Bachelor degree attained is insufficient reason to "earn" me a B (although the money, from allowances, was more than sufficient).

I then got a good job, built decent savings & portfolio, by now.
But, I can never shell out the $ for a B or a K.

In my ears, I keep listening to my family on how hard they made it.

In my head,
I know how (extremely) hard I got here independently
B or K isn't a need

Question:
When do you tell yourself, it's OK to buy a B or a K?
I have access to buy w/o pre-spend, thru a H's vip client.

TIA

Reactions: Bereal and P4d1
Happy birthday!

I have wrestled with much of this myself. You'll know when it feels comfortable for you. No one needs a bag, of course, beyond a simple sack. What matters is what makes you happy.

If a donation to a charity feels better than buying a bag, that is wonderful. Do it!

If an amazing trip holds more value in its experience than a bag, that is wonderful also. Do it!

If you need to think about your personal life philosophy, and how you want to spend your time here, and reconcile big "frivolous" spends with those thoughts, you are far from alone.

It's more than OK to reward yourself for hard work with something you have wanted for a long time, but the only thing that matters there is what fits within your life, philosophy, beliefs. If the pressure for the bag is external...those people don't matter. You've proven whatever there is to "prove" ...it's now 1000% fine to say no if you aren't ok with it.
thanks for the wish :smile:
and glad to "find" someone w similar (past, yours) struggle :smile:.

what you said about those people don't matter... that's so so so true.
i keep considering it, primarily because of those people.
i cannot justify spending 5 figures on a bag, altho can hold its value or increase along inflation (if proper) but it doesn't yield dividend or liquid! whereby in the past, my fam and i did go thru a lot, in order to arrive where we are.

Reactions: Bereal
Happy Birthday! With what you posted, it seems like money is not the problem why you are not buying the bag. That said, you don't have to force yourself to buy something you don't wholeheartedly want. It's okay not to like something even if a lot of people like it. If you have the funds yet still have to justify that purchase in your mind, maybe you don't really love the item. You can wait until you are certain that that is what you truly like.
thanks, i reckon, i'll wait :smile: