What would you do?

handtasche

Jun 2, 2011
Dear all, I am absolutely torn, what to do. I bought this fantastic bag in like new condition but for my taste, the straps are too short. It is mend to be a top handle bag . I am thinking of a cobbler who can add two d ring, so that I am able to wear it crossbody. On the other hand, it’s such a great bag and the change will decrease its beauty? What would you do?

IMG_9429.jpeg

Dear all, I am absolutely torn, what to do. I bought this fantastic bag in like new condition but for my taste, the straps are too short. It is mend to be a top handle bag . I am thinking of a cobbler who can add two d ring, so that I am able to wear it crossbody. On the other hand, it’s such a great bag and the change will decrease its beauty? What would you do?

View attachment 5830278
Well, you wrote it best - it is meant to be a top-handle bag, hand-held.

You could try something like the strap for the Lindy first (Etsy)...? Don't know if it would work because of the weird angel of the straps then?
If any, I only would have the d-ring inside the bag, so it can't be seen.

Reactions: etudes and indiaink

View attachment 5830278
There were some BV accessory straps, here is an example:
1690470621202.png
1690470663477.png
I use the strap on other bags by clipping on to existing strap rings. You may find the straps at outlets, second line retailers, or resellers.
Your bag is beautiful!

Reactions: jbags07 and etudes
I hate compromising a bag's integrity so it would be a no for me.
I’m with @papertiger. I’d leave the bag as is...sometimes although a bag is in perfect condition and beautiful it just doesn’t work. It’s pained me to return some bags because I loved the idea of it but it just didn’t work for me. 0 regrets on not keeping a bag that wasn’t perfect for my lifestyle

I talked to the best cobbler in town and he will not touch it. Therefore I will keep is as it is, there will be times, when I can use it the way it’s has been designed. I just saw 2 persons with handheld bags by coincidence and it looked good. On the other hand, maybe I have to get used to that kind of bag. It’s beautiful and a keeper. But not for everyday:smile: thanks everybody who contributed to this .

I talked to the best cobbler in town and he will not touch it. Therefore I will keep is as it is, there will be times, when I can use it the way it’s has been designed. I just saw 2 persons with handheld bags by coincidence and it looked good. On the other hand, maybe I have to get used to that kind of bag. It’s beautiful and a keeper. But not for everyday:smile: thanks everybody who contributed to this .

I'm glad to hear this (you also have an honest confer) wise decision. :tup:

Interestingly, my 3 BV totes (2 just called Totes and Large Roma) have adjustable handles that go from shortest handheld, though hand-held/over bare shoulder/just tee/shirt or longest over the shoulder (incl. coat). I bought new, but these (all TM era) but pre-loved would not be expensive at all and would make a great pairing with your beautiful hand-held for when you really need a shoulder bag.

Reactions: jbags07
I will offer what my mom told me yesterday, regarding a bag I adore, but never wear, regarding my reluctance to sell it.
“A bag is not a bag if it stays in the closet. Sell what you don’t wear and buy what you will actually use and enjoy.”

Love this :clap:
Right?
I never thought of it that way! That led me to immediately list a bag I have had in my closet for over 20 years, and carried once.
I never reached for it, because I don’t have anything in my wardrobe to match it. The bag is gorgeous, and an unusual color, and I would take it out, admire it, and put it back. She made me realize how silly that was. Especially since I was going on and on about a bag I really need, but didn’t want to spend the funds to buy.
She said the funds were there, and I should do something to get them.
She’s 87, and sharp as a tack. :love:

Last edited:
@handtasche , this is a beautiful tote bag. I agree with those who said leave as is. It looks as if the handles have enough drop to slip on your arm? So it can be very functional if you need to be somewhat hands free. Enjoy this wonderful TM bag :heart:

@Rose100 , your mother gives sage advice. I need to listen to her too, its hard to let go of beautiful but rarely carried bags tho!

@handtasche , this is a beautiful tote bag. I agree with those who said leave as is. It looks as if the handles have enough drop to slip on your arm? So it can be very functional if you need to be somewhat hands free. Enjoy this wonderful TM bag :heart:

@Rose100 , your mother gives sage advice. I need to listen to her too, its hard to let go of beautiful but rarely carried bags tho!
Thank you. ♥️yes, I am able to slip it on my arm. So I made peace with this beauty and will wear it right away tomorrow. Perfect Saturday bag . I love TM BV bags.

• Love
Reactions: jbags07