What to do with heirloom jewelry?

I would maybe hold onto one of the pieces that your father bought from the estate as they must have meant something to him and maybe try to rework it so you could/ would wear it. The rest I would try and sell on eBay or Bonanza (like eBay, but no listing fees, so it cannot hurt to try; they do have final value fees though). But wait (with eBay, because of the listing fees) until at least mid to late November or even early December, think Christmas :smile: Good Luck!

Thanks! I hadn't thought about ebay but that might be a good option. I really don't want to hold onto it, I don't think the pieces had any particular value to him and even if they did, they don't to me. If I thought I could rework it and make it work I would, but the pieces and stones just aren't my deal.

First, establish their market value. You can do this at least roughly by looking at recent completed auctions on eBay. It is not the same as your appraisal--and there are several kinds of appraisal prices anyway. It's their fair market value you want to establish in order to get going on selling or trading them.

Once you know this, trot to an antiques show/festival and speak with the vendors who deal in vintage jewelry. See if they're buying. Most people are not eager to add to their inventory now, but on the other hand it's the holiday season coming up and sellers do need inventory.

Be prepared to sell your stuff for 1/3-1/2 of the market value. You will not get more than that, but you will liquidate these pieces at least. So therefore, if a bracelet sells for about $1000, if you can get $500 you're doing fine. You might get $350. This is the hard fact of life when selling jewelry, especially if it's not particularly in demand.