What to do with gifted solitaire diamond ring?

I am so glad you posted this. I was just given my grandmothers (who passed away)wedding and engagement ring by my dad on my birthday last month and I was torn on what to do as well. It is set in yellow gold and is lovely, about .5 carat diamond as well. I am married and already have a beautiful 1 carat ring from my husband so I dont want to replace it, but I was torn on what to do with my grandmothers ring. I feel guilty turning it into a necklace, but I know that is probably the only way I will really get to enjoy wearing it.

Wear the ring as-is as a pendant? Best of both worlds - you'll get to wear it and keep it intact.

I like the idea of a DBTY solitaire. Down the road you could always have the diamond reset as an e-ring, but you could enjoy it now as a necklace.
The ring is lovely!

Thanks ladies. I didn't quote everyone, but all your opinions are appreciated.
Happy new years to you all.

surfergirljen said:
Wow it really is lovely!!! I love the setting... it looks like something my grandmother would have had too (in a good way!)... I prefer feminine settings and watches etc. like this and with this stone size it really sets it off beautifully!

But yes - it screams "e-ring, I'm engaged!" to me! LOL... now that I've seen it, I'd keep the setting and have a jeweller put something else in it like a semi-precious stone (like a light blue sparkly aquamarine or amethest or topaz?) and put the diamond into a classic every day pendant.
It's a very simple delicate setting that shows off the stone. But yes, very engagement-y.

mangowife said:
Wear the ring as-is as a pendant? Best of both worlds - you'll get to wear it and keep it intact.
My friend also suggested this. But I don't think I like this look. Maybe with a plain ring. But I feel like you can't really appreciate the stone and it's sparkle when you wear it as a ring on a chain.

Miss Kris said:
This gets my vote!
This may end up happening until I can commit to doing something else. I still need to get it sized first before I can wear it on any finger.

skyqueen said:
I like the idea of a DBTY solitaire. Down the road you could always have the diamond reset as an e-ring, but you could enjoy it now as a necklace.
The ring is lovely!
Thanks SK. I keep opening the jewelry box to look at it.

As I see it there are a couple of options:

1. Leave diamond/setting as-is.
2. Use diamond differently.

If you leave it as-is but you're worried about it looking engagement-y you could wear it...
  • On a different finger
  • On your right hand
  • In a stack/with other rings so it's more obvious it's not a stand-alone
  • On a necklace (or maybe bracelet but I've never seen this)
If you want to change it there are almost endless options. Reset stone...
  • As ring
  • As pendant
  • As bracelet
  • Add other gems
  • In very different ring setting
  • In custom-made whatever you want!
What kinds of jewelry do you like to wear? For example I almost never wear earrings but I wear lots of bangles so might incorporate it there.

P.S.: Can you swap the platinum-set amethyst and the silver-set diamond? :cool: (jk)

The same situation happened to me a few years ago and I opted to reset the diamond ring into a solitaire necklace. I went to a local jeweler and they worked with me to reset the stone. I wear the necklace quite often and always think of my grandparents when I have it on.

I think it's fine to wear as is. On your right hand would be fine and if anyone asks just tell them. If you wear necklaces then that is ok too but I think she got you the ring because she wanted you to have it....so its embodiment may be special to her?

I talked to my grandmother about why she gave me the ring and her reason is that she wanted to give me something with intrinsic value. She purposely picked a less expensive silver setting knowing I probably wouldn't wear it or would want to reset it. She wanted to give the diamond.

I still haven't decided what to do with it. But at least I know she won't be upset if I do reset it.

So many great ideas, though I am biased toward the pendant option rather than saving it for a future engagement ring. What if who ever you marry gives you a ring that had been in his family, or gives you a bigger stone?

It depends. Does it fit your finger as is or would it need resizing?
I would wear it and enjoy it as a right hand ring if it fits, or get it reset in gold if you find the silver tarnishes easily.
My dad has my grandmothers wedding band and it fits my middle finger perfectly. It was supposed to be for me to use as a wedding band if I wanted when and if I ever get married, but it doesn't fit that finger and I can't get it re-sized because it has intricate detailing that won't match up. I may ask for it someday to just wear as a right hand ring.

I would vote for the halo idea. Maybe with no diamonds on the band. Maybe a satin finished band to create an elegant and understated look? If you have the halo hand-fabricated, sometimes the jeweler can use the existing shank (band portion) of the ring, remove the crown, and create a new top to the ring.