What to do with gifted solitaire diamond ring?

My husband took some old rings I'd been given by family over the years but never wore (not my style) and had them redesigned as right hand rings for my birthday this year. I wear them all the time now, so it was worth doing.

Obviously make sure your grandmother wouldn't be upset that you were resetting it, but I'd be tempted to get it set into some sort of gold and a halo added maybe in a brightly coloured stone so it won't look too engagementy

Well i am very sentimental and if i had something like this from my grandmother i would hang onto it and turn it into my e-ring. BUT for the e-ring i would ask my boyfriend to create a 3 stone ring for me using her diamond as the center or i would do a double halo. Then it is a mix of my grandma's ring and one from my fiance. I think that would be the most special to me. Are you sure it is set in silver and not platinum? Platinum patinas wih age, similar to a silver tarnish.

P.S. A friend of mine's fiance made her a 3 stone e-ring out of a diamond that was her mother's, a second that was her grandmother's and a 3rd that was his grandmother's. The diamonds aren't perfectly matched but you would never know unless examining it super close. It is beautiful inside and out.

How about a gemstone halo instead of diamonds? Won't look engagmenty at all. Or a pendant would be lovely. I just reset a half carat diamond into a halo pendant and I love it. So many beautiful options!
That does sounds beautiful. I did just buy a peridote ring with diamond halo this year, so I need to consider that maybe I have already filled the "halo right-hand ring" need in my jewelry closet.

My husband took some old rings I'd been given by family over the years but never wore (not my style) and had them redesigned as right hand rings for my birthday this year. I wear them all the time now, so it was worth doing.
That was very sweet of him :smile: I only have one ring to work with, and really only the diamond part of the ring. So any material (gold, gemstone) I add to the ring will need to be paid for in addition to the labor. So I may need to be conservative in what I can realistically design. The bezel set necklace would probably be the simplest.

Obviously make sure your grandmother wouldn't be upset that you were resetting it, but I'd be tempted to get it set into some sort of gold and a halo added maybe in a brightly coloured stone so it won't look too engagementy

Good point. I assume that she'll be ok with it. But maybe she was trying to send me and the boyfriend a not-so-subtle hint.

Well i am very sentimental and if i had something like this from my grandmother i would hang onto it and turn it into my e-ring. BUT for the e-ring i would ask my boyfriend to create a 3 stone ring for me using her diamond as the center or i would do a double halo. Then it is a mix of my grandma's ring and one from my fiance. I think that would be the most special to me. Are you sure it is set in silver and not platinum? Platinum patinas wih age, similar to a silver tarnish.

That's a wonderful thought! That's why even though I want to make it into a necklace so I can use it everyday immediately, I posted to ask for some advice. It would be really special to save it as part of my engagement ring. But I don't know when I'll get engaged and I'm being impatient and wanting to use it now....

Pretty sure it's silver. The mark (and this is from memory) says "ST 925" or maybe "S 925". There's currently no tarnish on the ring, very highly polished at the moment. But I expect that if I wear it, it will start to tarnish.

That's a wonderful thought! That's why even though I want to make it into a necklace so I can use it everyday immediately, I posted to ask for some advice. It would be really special to save it as part of my engagement ring. But I don't know when I'll get engaged and I'm being impatient and wanting to use it now....

Pretty sure it's silver. The mark (and this is from memory) says "ST 925" or maybe "S 925". There's currently no tarnish on the ring, very highly polished at the moment. But I expect that if I wear it, it will start to tarnish.

Well if you do decide you want to save it for engagement but really want to wear it now, why not wear it on your right hand or put it on a chain as is and wear it that way? I would have a hard time waiting too but if you do decide to go that route, it will just make it that much more exciting and special.

What a wonderful grandmother! Definitely necklace! I have a .5 carat tiffanys DBTY solitaire necklace and it's the perfect size.

I was going to suggest exactly that! I have a .45 one and it's the perfect size - it would make a LOVELY necklace!

I'd want to start fresh with my DF when we got engaged... and as this is a gift from your grandmother, I don't know - I'd love to wear it and say my grandmother gave me THIS and my DH (one day) gave me THIS! :smile: Unless it's something that's been in his family forever... in which case I kind of like the idea of an heirloom ring (think William and Kate)... I think you/your family shouldn't be providing it.

I totally agree too about it looking like an e-ring and being in that couple of years place where people might start to wonder when you are getting engaged - who needs the questions? Plus as it's silver you really should have it reset anyway. I think a pendant would be perfect! :smile: Lucky girl!!!

Just wanted to share a photo of it so you know what I'm working with.

View attachment 1553277

Wow it really is lovely!!! I love the setting... it looks like something my grandmother would have had too (in a good way!)... I prefer feminine settings and watches etc. like this and with this stone size it really sets it off beautifully!

But yes - it screams "e-ring, I'm engaged!" to me! LOL... now that I've seen it, I'd keep the setting and have a jeweller put something else in it like a semi-precious stone (like a light blue sparkly aquamarine or amethest or topaz?) and put the diamond into a classic every day pendant.

When my Mom passed away I inherited her 1 carat engagement ring. I waited 3 years, and one day in my jewelers was looking in case and saw a setting I loved and it was marked down to $500. I had her ring reset and I wear it as a right hand ring. I love it, I feel like she is with me every day. I thought about a necklace, but I have lost necklaces before, I'm tough on jewelry. Anyway, very glad I had the ring reset. Good luck with whatever you choose.