What to do MK?

Chanelandco

Mar 23, 2018
Need some different perspective if I may ask for help:
I bought a MK more than 2 years ago and used it I believe 3 to 4 times.
I want to let it go , maybe because I feel overwhelmed now but I feel like It makes no sense to keep it , while using it so rarely. And I have enough other bags.
Whenever I try to use it, I choose another bag in the end. It is beautiful but tiny.
My friend is trying her best to convinced me to keep it , but I feel , it is exactly what FOMO looks like: keeping it because it will be difficult to get back if tomorrow I want a MK, or later for my daughters.
I am struggling because FOMO is to me a big part of this Hermes equation and it is something I want to get rid of..
I would be interested to here your opinion.
Thanks

Last edited:
I want to let it go , maybe because I feel overwhelmed now but I feel like It makes no sense to keep it , while using it so rarely. And I have enough other bags.
Whenever I try to use it, I choose another bag in the end. It is beautiful but tiny.
My friend is trying her best to convinced me to keep it , but I feel , it is exactly what FOMO looks like: keeping it because it will be difficult to get back if tomorrow I want a MK, or later for my daughters.
I am struggling because FOMO is to me a big part of this Hermes equation and it is something I want to get rid of..
Thanks
If you can afford to keep it, keep it..until you are 100% sure that you don't like it.

Thanks
I was in a similar situation like yours, not with an MK, but with an epsom HAC. There were no MK's that time but it was the hottest bag for guys when I got it. I got it via PO, and most HACs were (and are) still made with togo or clemence, and it was in bleu de prusse epsom, so it was quite rare. I've only used it a very few times because it was too big for everyday, and then it stayed in my closet for a few years.

The reason it stayed there is because people were telling me not to sell it. It was a rare bag and I might not have the opportunity to get one again because bleu de prusse epsom was a seasonal color (H brought it back more than a decade later). That it was an iconic H bag, etc etc.

But I sold it anyway to fund a long time off, and what a relief. I hated the feeling of having a very expensive bag just sitting in my closet, unused not because I'm saving it for later, but because I don't like using it. It gave me a sort of guilt ("you bought it and you're not gonna use it?"). I felt like I wasted something when it was in my closet.

Don't save it for your daughters. You don't even know if they would like carrying your bags when the time comes. What matters is how you feel, here and now.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I don't miss that bag, to be honest. It was from a time when big bags were in, which I thought would last for a long time. Now we are in the mini bag cycle. We don't know how long this trend is going to last. Mini Kellys might not be in demand in the near future as people are realizing they want that Goldilocks-size: not too big, not too small, just big enough to carry what I need for the time I would need a bag.

Last edited:
Thanks
I was in the same situation and I sold my MK. I don’t regret it, that bag was just not for me.

Thanks
@Chanelandco, take a step back & pause
I have used MK 3 to 4 times over the last 2 years
I want to let it go.. maybe because I feel overwhelmed, I have enough bags
It's beautiful but "tiny" so it doesn't real serve a purpose
FOMO because of what tomorrow may bring .. have your daughters expressed interest in the bag

While many of us appreciate the beauty of craftsmanship in Hermes, if it doesn't fit into our
lifestyles, rare or iconic, what's the point?

I was in a similar situation like yours, not with an MK, but with an epsom HAC. There were no MK's that time but it was the hottest bag for guys when I got it. I got it via PO, and most HACs were (and are) still made with togo or clemence, and it was in bleu de prusse epsom, so it was quite rare. I've only used it a very few times because it was too big for everyday, and then it stayed in my closet for a few years.

The reason it stayed there is because people were telling me not to sell it. It was a rare bag and I might not have the opportunity to get one again because bleu de prusse epsom was a seasonal color (H brought it back more than a decade later). That it was an iconic H bag, etc etc.

But I sold it anyway to fund a long time off, and what a relief. I hated the feeling of having a very expensive bag just sitting in my closet, unused not because I'm saving it for later, but because I don't like using it. It gave me a sort of guilt ("you bought it and you're not gonna use it?"). I felt like I wasted something when it was in my closet.

Don't save it for your daughters. You don't even know if they would like carrying your bags when the time comes. What matters is how you feel, here and now.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I don't miss that bag, to be honest. It was from a time when big bags were in, which I thought would last for a long time. Now we are in the mini bag cycle. We don't know how long this trend is going to last. Mini Kellys might not be in demand in the near future as people are realizing they want that Goldilocks-size: not too big, not too small, just big enough to carry what I need for the time I would need a bag.
Thank you @allanrvj !
I totally agree. It does not make any sense to keep it.

@Chanelandco, take a step back & pause
I have used MK 3 to 4 times over the last 2 years
I want to let it go.. maybe because I feel overwhelmed, I have enough bags
It's beautiful but "tiny" so it doesn't real serve a purpose
FOMO because of what tomorrow may bring .. have your daughters expressed interest in the bag

While many of us appreciate the beauty of craftsmanship in Hermes, if it doesn't fit into our
lifestyles, rare or iconic, what's the point?
Thank you @Love Of My Life .
I am quite clear on what make sense, meaning letting it go.
But as this thread is for discussion the H dilema of slowing down, taking a break etc.. I thought it was interesting to discuss this here because FOMO plays a big role on our Hermès shopping habits.
I think many people will hang on the bag because it is difficult to get ( Myself included as I kept it until now )
I also believe that’s the exact reason why one will accept an offer not exactly corresponding to what one likes.
And that for me is the key point to manage if we want to take the decision to slow down or even take a break.
Ps :
English is not my native langage, sorry if not clear.

Last edited:
Thank you @Love Of My Life .
I am quite clear on what make sense, meaning letting it go.
But as this thread is for discussion the H dilema of slowing down, taking a break etc.. I thought it was interesting to discuss this here because FOMO plays a big role on our Hermès shopping habits.
fu
I also believe that’s the exact reason why one will accept an offer not exactly corresponding to what one likes.
And that for me is the key point to manage if we want to take the decision to slow down or even take a break.
Ps :
English is not my native langage, so It might not be always clear for native speaker.
Many of us are being much more "realistic" about our shopping habits at Hermes due to price increases,
pre-spend, not feeling it's fun or pleasurable to shop at H & the list goes on including
"FOMO". So it is up to us to decide for ourselves. Are we so desperate, addicted & obsessed with
Hermes that we can't have a reality check or slow down?
Really, what are we missing out on? A bag that we could find on the secondary market that
for many of us might turn out to be less costly in the long run than the pre-spend to get it
or a SA that has to get approval from her SM so you the client can feel "worthy" of a QB?
We all can take a time out to re-evalute our needs , how we are being treated & how are
loyalty is appreciated & valued
Clients feeling the need or obligation to spend on items that they really don't need or like
in order to get a QB seems getting more tired than it should perhaps be.
Under no circumstances would I consider making a purchase for a bag that doesn't have the
specs I requested.. What purpose does that serve? Am I solely there for the SA to dangle
that Hermes karat under my nose or am I there to make a purchase that will fit into my lifestyle?
& what Hermes hoops does the client have to jump through to get that bag?

Last edited:
What are we supposed to do if we dont like a bag anymore?

I have rehomed bags that I was sure I would never wear, only to regret this decision, sometimes decades later. If I am positive a bag is not for me ( jpg shoulder birkin) and can clarify why, then I have no regrets. I do sometimes slightly regret rehoming things like a Fauve barenia trim but not regret releasing a Fauve barenia 32 HAC ( bc of the ghw).

But, there are some bags that I keep as placeholders. It’s possible that sometime in the future, I might find the perfect replacement, so that bag will simply hold a place until then (Chanel so black mini chevron reissue that I almost never wear ) . I find this placeholder idea helps me to avoid impulse purchases and encourages a slower, more deliberate pace.

I don’t feel pressured to prespend and I have never had a wishlist. My SAs know to contact me if something comes in that I might love. My FSH spend is relatively minimal, and my Madison one is slowing bc I have quite a bit already. My Hermes SAs are familiar with what I have ( and my budget and space constraints :smile:

ETA: I go back and forth on the mini K dilemma myself. So far I’ve been happy using my box kelly longue wallet as a clutch. lol. It’s an SAs job to ply clients with options. All SAs realize that their clients don’t need anything. It’s a matter of desire. No one has ever taken my polite no as problematic. I sometimes simply tell the truth which is that the SA has already sold me something more fabulous in a prior season.

ETA: only buy what you absolutely adore, that you can easily afford, and will use. That naturally slows most of us down :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks
I a big believer in rehoming items you are not using, and which don't bring you joy, to finance items you will use and which do bring you joy. I rehomed a K35 retourne in Blue Nuit several years ago, then used the funds to purchase a K28 sellier in Noir epsom with GHW. It was a brilliant move for me because I use the K28 constantly, and love the Noir.

Reactions: Chanelandco and loh
l like the idea mentioned by @880 of a placekeeper. Keep it until you find one that really makes your heart sing. I remember reading somewhere someone limited themselves to 10 bags, and when one was acquired, another was let go. So I've been practicing the "one in, one out" of late and find it really works for me. I haven't limited myself to 10, but I still practice the policy.

As for FOMO, I think you'll get over it if you do end up letting it go. Just put things in perspective, there are many other things in life to fret over other than a bag.