What is the BEST Base & Top Coat Polish?

I was going to post this as well. I started off using the restore, but found that the professional size refill worked better. I use the restore as a thinner for polishes instead.

ETA - I find SV works better if you apply it like a third coat before the polish is fully dry. I no longer experience shrinkage when I do that.

I always apply SV immediately after my last coat of color, while the color is still basically fully wet. I thought that's what the instructions said to do, but maybe I'm wrong. :lol: I have no shrinkage issues with SV.

I've used Seche Vite exclusively for several years. I've never had any issues with shrinkage. I'm typically using it over OPI or China Glaze polishes. I've heard different polishes react differently with SV.

I just placed a big Nordstrom order, and bought the Butter London PD Quick Hardwear top coat (heard nothing but rave reviews on that one), Guerlain gel top coat and Dior gel top coat. I'm anxious to see how they all rate against one another.

Update: So far I have tried the Butter London Hardwear & the Dior gel coat.

FYI/Disclaimer: "Good" wear for me is 2 days. Anything beyond that without major chips or severe tip wear is phenomenal.

Butter London - I love it. It isn't a thick gel-like topcoat, but it is pretty shiny, dries fast, and no shrinkage. I went a full 2 days without any chips or tip wear; I only removed it because I wanted to change colors. For me, that is impressive. It is a much thinner formula than Seche Vite. Does not dry quite as quickly as SV, but I do think it is shinier.

Dior - I am sorry to say: meh. The finish is beautiful - very thick/cushiony and gel-like, and incredibly shiny. But I literally have chips within 12 hours of application. I did my nails last night around 7 PM and I had 3 chips before I left the house this morning at 8 - and I hadn't even done any chip-inducing chores like dishwashing. I've also noticed at least 1 additional chip that has happened since arriving to work. Not pleased. I will give it a few more tries, but so far I am disappointed, especially for the price. :nogood:

I will probably try the Guerlain this weekend. The reviews I have read say it is very long wearing & gel-like, but takes a while to dry.

Last edited:
Update: So far I have tried the Butter London Hardwear & the Dior gel coat.

FYI/Disclaimer: "Good" wear for me is 2 days. Anything beyond that without major chips or severe tip wear is phenomenal.

Butter London - I love it. It isn't a thick gel-like topcoat, but it is pretty shiny, dries fast, and no shrinkage. I went a full 2 days without any chips or tip wear; I only removed it because I wanted to change colors. For me, that is impressive. It is a much thinner formula than Seche Vite. Does not dry quite as quickly as SV, but I do think it is shinier.

Dior - I am sorry to say: meh. The finish is beautiful - very thick/cushiony and gel-like, and incredibly shiny. But I literally have chips within 12 hours of application. I did my nails last night around 7 PM and I had 3 chips before I left the house this morning at 8 - and I hadn't even done any chip-inducing chores like dishwashing. I've also noticed at least 1 additional chip that has happened since arriving to work. Not pleased. I will give it a few more tries, but so far I am disappointed, especially for the price. :nogood:

I will probably try the Guerlain this weekend. The reviews I have read say it is very long wearing & gel-like, but takes a while to dry.

Great details - thanks for these reviews! Disappointing on the Dior, so many people seem to really like it, I guess for reasons of the finish that you described. That does sound drool-worthy to me but it's such a shame that it did not last. Did you try Dior on Dior or on another brand?

The BL one sounds similar to my CND one.

Did you take pics of any? I know that that can be a real production but I'm so curious to see how these experiments play out!!! :smile:

I've tried a lot of brands so far what worked for me were Poshe's base followed by Nubar's Diamont Seal and shine topcoat then topped by Poshe's fast dry top coat. Unfortunately Poshe causes polish shrinkage, so I tried Essie's Good To Go which is also ok but still lacks the shine I'm looking for. Cult Nail Wicked Fast is also good and do make my polish last longer. Color Club (from pre-base to the fast dry top coat) is also ok especially if use together but polish wear is just so-so.

China Glaze Strong Adhesion base coat followed by No Chip top coat then Fast Forward top coat is a good system to follow. I got good polish wear using these three together. But lately I've discovered Dazzle Dry (3 step system) and my polish last for a week with minimal tip wear and very high shine finish. So if you could get your hands on it, go try it out.
Is DAzzle dry working well with your regular nail polishes or are you using their brand polish with the base & top coat?