What is the BEST Base & Top Coat Polish?

Yeah not a big SV fan either. I am loving both the Nails Inc. Kensington Caviar Top Coats. ONe is a 45 second quick dry and the other is a Gel Effect Plumping top coat. Love Love Love. I use the quick dry when I do the mani and then the Gel tc for touch up and the wear has been great.

I've used Seche Vite exclusively for several years. I've never had any issues with shrinkage. I'm typically using it over OPI or China Glaze polishes. I've heard different polishes react differently with SV.

I just placed a big Nordstrom order, and bought the Butter London PD Quick Hardwear top coat (heard nothing but rave reviews on that one), Guerlain gel top coat and Dior gel top coat. I'm anxious to see how they all rate against one another.

Please report back!

I have a question. I have asked this on several polish pages but nobody seems to know wth I am talking about. Does anyone ever get a sort of valley affect on the sides of their nails with top coats? I don't notice it right away but usually the next day and its not on all nails. I suppose its some sort of shrinkage but not at the tips. My polish looks like I have a sort of crevice on the sides and around the base of my nail. Doesn't go all the way around either. Makes me crazy. You cannot see it unless you are looking very close but being a nut job, it irks me.

It IS shrinkage and it can happen if you don't cover entire nail (or at least the entire painted portion of the nail) with top coat.

It IS shrinkage and it can happen if you don't cover entire nail (or at least the entire painted portion of the nail) with top coat.

I'm usually pretty diligent on putting my tc to the ends and sides. Ugh.........so you know the "valley's" I am referring too? LOL Could it be that I am putting TC on too thick? Its quite annoying. BTW, looked at your blog.....gorgeous nails. What country are you in? (never mind, sorry I read your little picture on the post).

I'm usually pretty diligent on putting my tc to the ends and sides. Ugh.........so you know the "valley's" I am referring too? LOL Could it be that I am putting TC on too thick? Its quite annoying.

I certainly know what you are talking about. I have experienced it with several top coats when I don't top my polish off well. I can't remember if thickness of applied layer played part, but thickness of formula definitely can be a reason.

BTW, looked at your blog.....gorgeous nails. What country are you in? (never mind, sorry I read your little picture on the post).

Thank you very much :hugs:

I love Wicked Fast but stopped using it since it got gloopy and it is expensive. I used to use Seche Vite, but it is gets gloopy and causes shrinkage. I picked up an Orly UV top coat which is quick drying, but not really shiny and doesn't prevent chipping. I used to use Poshe and just picked it up again. I think it was good, but can't remember.

I use Seche Vite exclusively, but I also have the gigantic refill size so once the working bottle starts getting a little thick I top it off and it's back to business. Never had issues with shrinkage once I started doing that.

I also love Cult Nails Wicked Fast, but it does turn thick and gloopy about halfway through the bottle. I Looked into reordering more, but it's sold out on every single site that carries it. I've also tried contacting Maria to see if when it'll be back in stock, but I haven't received a reply, yet. That was a week ago. I have an inkling that she may be finished with the nail polish business....

I also love Cult Nails Wicked Fast, but it does turn thick and gloopy about halfway through the bottle. I Looked into reordering more, but it's sold out on every single site that carries it. I've also tried contacting Maria to see if when it'll be back in stock, but I haven't received a reply, yet. That was a week ago. I have an inkling that she may be finished with the nail polish business....

You know, I haven't heard too much about Cult Nails lately. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just done. BUT, she should get back in touch with you. That's just rude. I liked her stuff but not the wide round top. I had a hard time applying my polish with that.

I'm also going to be watching this thread and I already appreciate the recommendations - I think Nails Inc is going on my list as a start. Right now I'm using CND Super Shiney, surprised it wasn't mentioned yet. Have not had any problems with it and I love how much it extends the wear time - and yes it's shiny!

I have been especially curious about these "gel effect" claims and pmburke, it sounds like you are going to be a great resource as you play with your big haul! Did you also get a bunch of colors from the same brands so you can test out if they work best with their own polish or if they're the type that can "play the field"?;)

I use Seche Vite exclusively, but I also have the gigantic refill size so once the working bottle starts getting a little thick I top it off and it's back to business. Never had issues with shrinkage once I started doing that.

I was going to post this as well. I started off using the restore, but found that the professional size refill worked better. I use the restore as a thinner for polishes instead.

ETA - I find SV works better if you apply it like a third coat before the polish is fully dry. I no longer experience shrinkage when I do that.