What brands/artisans use full grain leather?

Random Walks

Dec 19, 2018
Fall in love with full grain leather. I love the leather smell and thickness. Currently I know Hermes, Polene (most of its bags?) and fount. Maybe Moynat (I haven't see the bags in person)? Portland leather goods (hmmm, not a fan of the rustic style).

I like the minimalism design of Valextra, but the leather is like saffiano/hermes epsom.

What other brands still use full grain leather? It doesn't need to be a luxury brand. I'm no longer interested in them due to the price increase and lack of quality control.

Many thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ceeline
Urban Southern is more finished. Think ‘upscale’ full grain leather within reach of most. I love the half moon crossbody bag.

To be honest, you’re not going to find full grain on any of the ‘popular’ brands, luxury or otherwise. Full grain is now somehow a rarity and I’m pretty sure it became a cost-saving move to allow big brands to produce more and more yet save money. But I digress…

Last edited:
Fall in love with full grain leather. I love the leather smell and thickness. Currently I know Hermes, Polene (most of its bags?) and fount. Maybe Moynat (I haven't see the bags in person)? Portland leather goods (hmmm, not a fan of the rustic style).

I like the minimalism design of Valextra, but the leather is like saffiano/hermes epsom.

What other brands still use full grain leather? It doesn't need to be a luxury brand. I'm no longer interested in them due to the price increase and lack of quality control.

Many thanks for sharing.

Valextra does use a stamped leather on most of their bags but not all. You can ask, because they will also do made to order.

Reactions: Random Walks
a lot of brands use full grain leather, but it's not always the best, there are also more expensive and exquisite leathers like cordovan which are not full grain... also there are huge differences in quality within this group...
I wouldn't base my choices solely on leather being full grain :smartass:

Valextra signature leather is not like Epsom, it's softer, nicer to touch and more malleable...