What are your thoughts on kids/teens with designer bags

It's hard enough being a kid/teen.
Why on earth would anyone add, "Don't get your birkin scratched or stolen!" to the frustrating labyrinth of growing into adulthood?
Save that agony for later. ;)

I go to a private school in New York and I've seen 7th graders carry around Louis Vuitton bags😅.

wow, i am doubtful most kids that age would even understand nor appreciate it. Past it's an LV.

I do get it's an economic situation to a point, i know many who had the means and did not take this direction, for some i think it's buying kids affection and to show off.. see my kids have _____________.

Of coarse not all do they just take pleasure in having JR participate in what floats their boats ..

All this said, i only got my children higher value items when they were old enough to appreciate the value and treat it accordingly.

wow, i am doubtful most kids that age would even understand nor appreciate it. Past it's an LV.

I do get it's an economic situation to a point, i know many who had the means and did not take this direction, for some i think it's buying kids affection and to show off.. see my kids have _____________.

Of coarse not all do they just take pleasure in having JR participate in what floats their boats ..

All this said, i only got my children higher value items when they were old enough to appreciate the value and treat it accordingly.

It all really depends on perspective…I remember while growing up, my best friend was into the skate-boarding scene and his mom was buying him dolce & gahanna ready to wear for school because she thought it was a "grungy" brand.

I went to college in orange county (grew up in san diego county) and although many people at my school had really nice, expensive cars (well there was a range, from inexpensive to over $100k... this was also late 90s), I never noticed fellow students with designer bags. Now of course that could be different now but at least at that time, big name brands weren't something I saw.

And if their parents want to buy them whatever or pass down whatever, that is up to them.

I was 18 when I bought my first designer bag (Dior) with my own money. I still believe that designer bags are not too young girls (say under 14 to 16). I would only ever buy one for them* if they had already shown real interest by buying one for themselves with their own money.

*that is, if I had kids

If I have kids, I would prefer they not know and not care about designer brands when growing up. I was blissfully unaware of brands as a teen. I judged people based on what they accomplished - in my small universe at the time, that was mostly academic or sports related - not on what they were wearing or carrying.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted that something that looked good/cute, but I didn't attach any importance to the brand name. I think it really helped me have a great experience in high school as that was one less thing to worry about. I didn't participate in that particular rat race.

It's probably almost impossible to do this now.

Remember that living in a high end area comes with a lot of pressure to conform. The parents are under a lot of pressure to have the fancy house and the expensive cars and expensive lifestyle and no doubt the kids are under a lot of pressure at school to carry name brand stuff and drive expensive cars. Kids are cruel if you don't conform. I bet that a good percentage of those parents would agree with you all on principle, but in reality, it's too painful to live by those principles, for them and their kids.

In the book Millionaire Next Door, Thomas Stanley cites this kind of pressure as one of the biggest reasons that high end areas actually have a lower percentage of millionaires than less expensive areas. There's so much pressure to engage in conspicuous consumption that families are really living right at or above their means to try to keep up.

Remember that living in a high end area comes with a lot of pressure to conform. The parents are under a lot of pressure to have the fancy house and the expensive cars and expensive lifestyle and no doubt the kids are under a lot of pressure at school to carry name brand stuff and drive expensive cars. Kids are cruel if you don't conform. I bet that a good percentage of those parents would agree with you all on principle, but in reality, it's too painful to live by those principles, for them and their kids.

In the book Millionaire Next Door, Thomas Stanley cites this kind of pressure as one of the biggest reasons that high end areas actually have a lower percentage of millionaires than less expensive areas. There's so much pressure to engage in conspicuous consumption that families are really living right at or above their means to try to keep up.

I agree that peer pressure is difficult.
But, it's a stretch for me to view those who've consciously chosen appearance-based lifestyles as pitiable victims.
They can choose to leave the 10, 000 square foot house & gated community, if peer pressure doesn't mesh with their inner beliefs. As, indeed, your book suggestion states.

That's a bit dramatic. I grew up and still live in the aforementioned high end area. I was one of 3 kids in my graduating class who did not get a car for their sixteenth birthday. Would I have liked a car? Yes, as just about any suburban teen would. However, it wasn't the end of the earth. As an adult, I'm glad my parents said no to things I wanted. Besides, conformity breeds mediocrity.

I agree that peer pressure is difficult.
But, it's a stretch for me to view those who've consciously chosen appearance-based lifestyles as pitiable victims.
They can choose to leave the 10, 000 square foot house & gated community, if peer pressure doesn't mesh with their inner beliefs. As, indeed, your book suggestion states.

Well said! :tup: :tup:

My thought (plebeian as it may be) is simply this... what are these parents preparing their children for? If it's a life of wealth and privilege that they can absolutely guarantee then so be it. But what if life throws a wrench in the works? Will these serene entitled scions of conspicuous consumption be prepared to roll with the punches life so often throws?

Just my two cents (and probably worth as much...)

:shrugs:

I personally don't think teens with 1K + handbags is a good idea, unless you're in a very exclusive socio-economic circle where it's the norm. I would be worried about the purse being stolen (this happens a lot in big cities).