What are your jewelry myths and superstitions?

well, since they are pampered house cats i'm sure they cross our paths all the time. but they were both rescues so that should cancel out the bad luck, don't you think?

I always heard that black cats are good luck as long as you are the owner, otherwise they are bad luck--especially if they cross your path. lol

Here are my nuggets :biggrin:

Horse-shoe charms should be worn U

I remember that one... the U has to be up or the luck spills out.

Is that the same reason I wonder with elephant jewelry? I had heard the trunk has to be curled up and tip pointed out (lucky), not down and under toward the toes (unlucky)

edit: here's something from Hawaii. If you get a lei, don't throw it away. Lei is symbolic of love and welcome. Returning the lei (assuming plant material) to where it was gathered or back to nature is better.

Last edited:
I always wear an "evil eye" for protection and good luck. My birthday is in October so I am covered as far as opals go. My family always had/has the superstition that it is bad luck to buy pearls for someone so whenever my father would return from Hong Kong with pearls he would always ask the recipient for a penny. The same superstition goes for shoes because if you buy someone shoes, they will walk away from you. Again, a penny solves that problem :smile:

It works with knifes too: they cut friendship as a gift, but a penny solves it ;)

Can we add accessories? Whenever gifting a wallet or coin purse, always send it with money already in it--usually a dollar or a penny. To attract more money, I think?

I've heard a lot of these!

My Irish grandmother warned me about opals, too... saying that they should only be worn if they are your birthstone OR if they were given to you on a special occasion; she would say that buying an opal for yourself would bring bad luck.
(Sad for me... I absolutely LOVE opals, but no one has ever gifted me one!!)

I've heard about not wearing pearls until you're married - and I've warned my teenage sister about this because she wears pearl earrings every day - but she argues that it goes against everything that a "Southern girl" believes and wears them, anyway.

I've heard about the horseshoe jewelry needing to be worn as: U ...and not upside-down, because the shoe should form a "bowl" to hold good luck, and if turned upside-down the luck will spill out.

I've heard that elephant jewelry should always feature an elephant whose trunk is lifted up, because this is lucky. Elephant jewelry that features an elephant with the trunk pointed downward should be avoided.

I've also heard from Italian relatives that Evil Eye jewelry should only be worn if it was gifted to you, as the love in the gift protects you. They said that if you purchase the eye jewelry for yourself, it backfires and turns the evil eye on you instead of protecting you... something about selfishness?

I've also heard that heirloom wedding or engagement rings should not be handed down to new brides/grooms if the marriage was not a happy one, or if the past wearers divorced, as that would bring the negativity from the failed marriage into the new marriage... thereby dooming the new union.

And yes, I've heard that gifting wallets or handbags should include a penny or a dollar inside of the wallet or purse... something about gifting an empty wallet will mean that it will always be empty, but gifting a wallet with money means that it will always contain money.

I'm sure there are so many more that I'm forgetting.... but my family (Irish/Italian/Polish) was always very superstitious!

Wow! All 3 of my long term relationships I had bought each of then watches... one was a pocket watch. THAT'S why they're all exes then :P

:lol: Same here! I purchased a watch for my (now-EX) husband every single year on our anniversary... because he loves watches. After almost 10 years, he had a huge collection of nice watches. Guess I doomed that marriage from the start!
:lol:

Opals are considered bad luck by some of the more superstitious in some countries (mine being one) unless it is your birth stone.
I am not overly superstitious however this has prevented me considering any stone with an opal at all.
One exception being once I fell in love with the prettiest pink opal ring, bought it, tried to convince myself to keep it by researching and finding it is actually considered lucky in some countries. But a long held belief won out and I returned it.
Deep down I know it's probably phooey but............

Would you let a superstition get in the way of a stunning stone?.....

I always heard that black cats are good luck as long as you are the owner, otherwise they are bad luck--especially if they cross your path. lol

I remember that one... the U has to be up or the luck spills out.

Is that the same reason I wonder with elephant jewelry? I had heard the trunk has to be curled up and tip pointed out (lucky), not down and under toward the toes (unlucky)

edit: here's something from Hawaii. If you get a lei, don't throw it away. Lei is symbolic of love and welcome. Returning the lei (assuming plant material) to where it was gathered or back to nature is better.
You see in the UK, black cats are considered lucky especially if one crosses your path

A few of mine:

1. have never bought opals for myself or worn them. They are not my birthstone and, therefore, would be bad luck.

2. A penny in return for jewelry with a sharp edge (for example a brooch).

3. I wear a tiny red pin hidden on my bra or undergarments. This prevents a witch from putting a curse on me. (this from my Mom who was of Slovenian/Croatian descent). :smile: