Wedding/engagement ring etiquette?

i take it off if im doing lifting at the gym, cleaning at home, or going in a chlorine pool, or the beach. i use a sterling silver stand in ring for the pool and beach. otherwise, my full wedding set it on for work, sleep, showers, travel!

I have worn my rings every day since I got engaged, back in 1999. I only just started taking them off when I shower, and that's only because my new color maintenance shampoo stains everything, so I have to clean the ring after if I wear it when washing my hair. Back in the days when I lifted some free weights I would wear lifting gloves rather than take off the rings.

My husband is an electrician so he never wears his to work or any jewelry to work. Only when we go out. I barely wear my wedding rings because I lost my original set. And the ones I replaced it with don't have the same emotional value as the original. [emoji20]

My niece became a surgeon and snaps rubber gloves on and off all day long and washes her hands constantly. So she is not going to wear an engagement ring when she is working or on call, and when she gets home she has small children and washes her hands a hundred times an hour. She wasn't a doctor when she got the ring.

There are a lot of reasons women might not want to wear the ring. I don't see any need to be judgmental about it.

Agreed! I know plenty of people who ask about why I don't wear mine. I lost my set a few years back and I cried about it. I replaced it and it doesn't hold the same emotional value to me so I don't wear them as much. But that doesn't change the love I have for my husband. Or the strength of my marriage.

Reactions: JenW and leechiyong
I love wearing mine and I only take them off when I put on lotion, shower and do chores. Other than that I try to wear them as much as possible, since I absolutely love my wedding set. My husband on the other hand never takes his off, not even at the gym. I'm happy that his stays on 24/7.

Reactions: Dynasty
Found this thread and wanted to add on -

My engagement ring is a 0.32ct ring. My husband had just completed grad studies when we got engaged and it was what he could afford at that time. I loved it to death, and I wear it every time I leave the house.
My 'upgraded' ring is a 2ct solitaire that my husband gifted me on our 5th wedding anniversary last year. I wear it on special occasions when I dress a little bit fancy - date nights, events, etc.
My wedding ring is a plain band with 4 small diamonds that I stack up with my engagement ring and wear every time I leave the house.

My husband has mentioned a couple of times that he wants me to wear my 2ct solitaire on a daily basis but I'm careless and I would not want to knock it loose off the setting. I do occasionally take it to work to make him happy.

His is a Cartier platinum comfort band that he wears only on special occasions but only because he is an engineer and gets his hands dirty every day at work.

I only remove my rings towards the end of pregnancy and when I first bring my baby home. I also change my nails to short overlays that are rounded so as not to scratch my child. I'm due in a few weeks so my rings aren't being worn at the moment.

I never take mine off. Ever.
A quick scary story. My bff growing up married a jeweler so she had a magnificent 5 carat emerald cut stunner as an ER. She summers at the Jersey Shore and has lots of kids. She regularly took off the ring to smear sunscreen on the kids because it got her ring gunked up. She always carefully laid it on the towel and always replaced it after she finished with the kids. One time she looked down and the ring was gone! Long story short...they looked for days, scoured the shoreline, hired professional metal-detector guys, everything. She still thinks to this day that a seagull picked it up and simply flew away with it.
I'm just sharing because she told me to never ever take my ER off....she said lotion can be cleaned, settings can be remounted but the heartache of knowing SHE lost the diamond was too painful.

I take mine off the minute I get home. So I don't wash anything, shower or sleep with any rings on. I actually don't wear any jewelry when I'm home with the exception of my diamond pendants. They only come off when I switch out necklaces.

I also don't wear anything but a plain band when I don't feel it's appropriate to show-up wearing diamonds.

i never wear it at home, only put it on when i leave the house. if i'm just running to the store or going to the gym i don't put it on but if i'm going to work or out than i put it on.

I take mine off the minute I get home. So I don't wash anything, shower or sleep with any rings on. I actually don't wear any jewelry when I'm home with the exception of my diamond pendants. They only come off when I switch out necklaces.

I also don't wear anything but a plain band when I don't feel it's appropriate to show-up wearing diamonds.
Just curious, when don't you think it's appropriate to show up wearing diamonds?

Just curious, when don't you think it's appropriate to show up wearing diamonds?
My old company had us do volunteer work at non-profits a couple of times a year. Nothing major but things like take inventory in food banks, various tasks in soup kitchens, even help with HUD in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Don't think it's appropriate to wear expensive jewelry and handbags in those circumstances. But that's me, I'm sure others disagree.

Reactions: JenW
My old company had us do volunteer work at non-profits a couple of times a year. Nothing major but things like take inventory in food banks, various tasks in soup kitchens, even help with HUD in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Don't think it's appropriate to wear expensive jewelry and handbags in those circumstances. But that's me, I'm sure others disagree.
Oh ok, I can definitely see that. Kind of like when volunteering in shelters because it's almost like throwing your wealth in the faces of the less fortunate, right?

Oh ok, I can definitely see that. Kind of like when volunteering in shelters because it's almost like throwing your wealth in the faces of the less fortunate, right?

Yeah I guess.
Just feels out of place to have something so expensive on when doing work with non-profits, and the people who use their services.
I've still worn my wedding band, but that's it.