Wavy/Curly Hair

a couple of weeks ago, I watched a show on HBO about hair products...they focused heavily on the Deva problem. They had influencers on who had represented the products and then complained they were losing their hair. one woman claimed to have gotten cancer from using them.
I had a bottle of the Deva cowash and returned it. I was afraid to use it after seeing that.

Now I'm wanting another cowash. I tried Hair One and liked it. then tried As I Am, which is highly rated but didn't do it for me.
Any recommendations? I have wavy/curly hair (3a maybe) which tends to be dry.
I have 3a/3b hair (fine and thin) and I use a combination of products. I was using the Curl Smith CoWash, but found it wasn't working well for my hair. I love their styling products though. I use the weightless air dry cream, hydro style Flexi gel, and hold me softly style balm. I love the tea tree lavender mint CoWash. It's the only thing that helped with my dry scalp, and I've tried so many products! I also use the tea tree shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair. I color my hair about every 6 weeks so I find the tea tree is also the best at retaining my color. I use the Matrix A Curl Can Dream CoWash and Manuka honey rich mask by Matrix also. I even use Paul Mitchell flexible style and extra volume foam. I air dry my hair. I never diffuse it. I rotate these products throughout the week so my hair won't get tired of one product. Ulta basically takes all of my money, well besides handbags. :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks @PurseAddict728, I just bought the Matrix Manuka honey mask. Looking forward to trying it.

I have long 3B curly hair and with the sudden cold, windy weather here it’s turned into frizzy straw, I’ve never seen it like this. So I took my own advice and started using the Briogeo cowash - saw immediate improvement with smoother curls after the first wash.

Every so often I used to apply a hot oil treatment at home with oils from my kitchen and medicine cabinet (eg. coconut, almond, olive oil) and my hair loved it. I might try that again.

Can’t stand wasting money on hair products that don’t work for me so I’m super cautious about what I purchase.

Thanks @PurseAddict728, I just bought the Matrix Manuka honey mask. Looking forward to trying it.

I have long 3B curly hair and with the sudden cold, windy weather here it’s turned into frizzy straw, I’ve never seen it like this. So I took my own advice and started using the Briogeo cowash - saw immediate improvement with smoother curls after the first wash.

Every so often I used to apply a hot oil treatment at home with oils from my kitchen and medicine cabinet (eg. coconut, almond, olive oil) and my hair loved it. I might try that again.

Can’t stand wasting money on hair products that don’t work for me so I’m super cautious about what I purchase.
I tried coconut oil. I think what I did was apply to dry hair and wash out later. don't think it did much. last weekend I was experiencing dry hair, lack of curl formation. I used some Loreal "ever" product - heavy cream treatment. washed my hair and left that stuff in with a shower cap, applied heat. It did help. I should do that more often.

how did you use coconut oil?

I tried coconut oil. I think what I did was apply to dry hair and wash out later. don't think it did much. last weekend I was experiencing dry hair, lack of curl formation. I used some Loreal "ever" product - heavy cream treatment. washed my hair and left that stuff in with a shower cap, applied heat. It did help. I should do that more often.

how did you use coconut oil?
It’s been a while since I did it, but I used to melt a mix of coconut oil and maybe almond oil in a pot on the stove top (gentle stove top supposedly better for the oils than microwave, who knows) then apply the warm oil mix to fresh washed hair that’s only been lightly mopped dry. Wrap hair in plastic and sit for 30 minutes, then shampoo (or cowash as I would do now) and dry as usual, which for me is mop and air dry.
Took a while to work out the best routine and oil mix, but it left my hair soft and smoothed the frizz in my curls.

Not sure why I stopped doing it but I guess I thought my hair was in good shape so I didn’t need it anymore.

It’s been a while since I did it, but I used to melt a mix of coconut oil and maybe almond oil in a pot on the stove top (gentle stove top supposedly better for the oils than microwave, who knows) then apply the warm oil mix to fresh washed hair that’s only been lightly mopped dry. Wrap hair in plastic and sit for 30 minutes, then shampoo (or cowash as I would do now) and dry as usual, which for me is mop and air dry.
Took a while to work out the best routine and oil mix, but it left my hair soft and smoothed the frizz in my curls.

Not sure why I stopped doing it but I guess I thought my hair was in good shape so I didn’t need it anymore.
so pretty much same as I did with the treatment product....I used a shower cap rather than wrapping in plastic. I do have a jar of coconut oil. maybe I'll try this
Seems like you could emulsify the coconut oil in your hands and might not have to heat it and melt it?

so pretty much same as I did with the treatment product....I used a shower cap rather than wrapping in plastic. I do have a jar of coconut oil. maybe I'll try this
Seems like you could emulsify the coconut oil in your hands and might not have to heat it and melt it?
Supposedly the heated liquid oil penetrates the hair more deeply but it may work just as well with softened, hand warmed coconut oil and being somewhere warm while under the plastic wrap ? Less fussy option