watches that retain most value?

Actually, it's Patek men's watches which hold their value the best among collectors....

I would agree with this as well. If you are smart and shop around you can actually resell a watch used for more than you paid new. My husband did this with a Patek and IWC a few years ago.

I think men's watches retain value better than woman's watches. I am not sure why this is, but perhaps women want new watches while men are willing to compromise? Also woman's watches are usually more trendy than men's.

If you walk along pawn shops in Macao, you'll see lots of Rolexes....it means something.

OK we'll play Freud. Possibilities answers that mean something. Throw in any other suggestions anyone. We can't draw a conclusion without possibilities. And other insights. There are many.

Macao is gambling like LV. So maybe its that Rolex buyers are worse at gambling?

Or they don't care & pawn their Rolex, the better (Cartier) watches are at home?

Or maybe they spend way out ot their league & shouldn't even own a Rolex, if they have to pawn it?

We also don't know the pricing for the rolex in the pawn shop to know if they are holding their value.

So Macao is ony one location in Asia. Like Vegas is one city in the US.

Fine precious metal watches, limited editions, made by the houses of haute horlogerie in Switzerland will retain their value and appreciate over time. These include Patek Phillippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Girard-Perregaux, etc.

A lot of the entry-level steel pieces with quartz movement, while beautiful and reliable, simply won't retain as much value in the long run. Cartier, Tiffany & Co., and others shouldn't lose any more than 50% of their value because of the design and brand strength. Tag Heuer, Movado, etc. simply will not hold their value.

Not everyone is meant to walk around with $30,000 to $1,000,000+ on their wrist. Such is life.

Last edited:
Fine precious metal watches, limited editions, made by the houses of haute horlogerie in Switzerland will retain their value and appreciate over time. These include Patek Phillippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Girard-Perregaux, etc.

A lot of the entry-level steel pieces with quartz movement, while beautiful and reliable, simply won't retain as much value in the long run. Cartier, Tiffany & Co., and others shouldn't lose any more than 50% of their value because of the design and brand strength. Tag Heuer, Movado, etc. simply will not hold their value.

Not everyone is meant to walk around with $30,000 to $1,000,000+ on their wrist. Such is life.

I like the way you put it!!

^^^ If you paid $1300 & it'll now sell for $600.00? I think that is a good deal for you.
Of course selling old watches we don't want hasn't worked out for us. lol

oh, i agree, however that's just what ebay sellers are selling it for, doesn't mean they're getting it. believe me, i would sell it in a heartbeat if i found my dream rolex air king, but it's like $1,500+ used right now (i have researched this) and even if i did sell it for $600, i would still need to come up with quite a bit more and right now i have other priorities on my mind. :graucho: