Von Holzhausen bags - opinions from those who already own

I bought the Mini Duffel back in September last year, and as soon as I got it, I noticed that there was some glue residue in the inside pocket that was sticking to the things I put in there. I contacted their customer service, and they were so quick to respond! They told me that typically they would send me a new bag, but I had purchased the last one they had in stock at the moment, so the only option at the time was to send it in for repairs. That was fine. they sent me a shipping label to their repair services in New York. It took them a month for the back and forth shipping and the repairs, so I got it back in October.

Then in December, I noticed the glazing cracking on all of the handles. I attached a photo of one of the handles to show you guys, but it was both sides of all 4 handle attachments. They were, once again, happy to replace the handles for me, and sent me a complimentary shipping label to the same repair guy in New York. It took them nearly 2 months to get the repairs done (granted, this was over Christmas and New Years holiday, so I don't blame them too much for the delay).

Overall, it's been a good bag. Very carefree and good capacity for such a small profile. I'm not sure how I feel about the quality any more, since I've owned the bag for about 7 months, and only really been able to use it for half, since the other half, it's been in repair. i see the glazing on one of the handles beginning to crack again, but I don't think I'll be sending it back unless all four show cracks again. I'm pretty sure this is just a result of the way that the handles are knotted (maybe?) that causes a lot of strain on the glazing. As much as I do love the bag, and like the idea that the teknik leather stands behind, I don't think I'll be purchasing another bag from them.
so I am always curious about what makes brands ultimately retire their styles - whether it's purely due to lack of customer enthusiasm, or also due to some underlying issues that plague a particular model (akin to electronic gadgets). Your mini duffel is no longer being made, so I wonder if you are not alone with having issues with it. I've had my shopper for a long time now, and it does have some edge paint cracks on the top (developed in its 2nd year maybe), but they told me it just happens and it is, indeed, very minor. Sorry you are having a hard time with their product.

Came across this thread and I've not heard of Von Holzhausen so I had to have a look. I really like the designs: clean lines and soft 'leathers', the knot which seems to be their signature adds a nice touch. I've been on the lookout for a pouch/clutch in my bag. Any experiences with theirs? I'm keen to know much can they hold.

Clutch: https://vonholzhausen.com/collections/the-clutches/products/the-clutch-taupe
Pouch: https://vonholzhausen.com/products/the-pouch-taupe

Their taupe is such a lovely shade of brown.

Last edited:
Came across this thread and I've not heard of Von Holzhausen so I had to have a look. I really like the designs: clean lines and soft 'leathers', the knot which seems to be their signature adds a nice touch. I've been on the lookout for a pouch/clutch in my bag. Any experiences with theirs? I'm keen to know much can they hold.

Clutch: https://vonholzhausen.com/collections/the-clutches/products/the-clutch-taupe

I believe @southernbelle43 had the clutch for a little bit, so she may have insights into what it fits. My Mom got one but returned it - she didn't like the style that much in person. As for the pouch - your link doesn't seem to work, do you mean this design of a pouch?
Pouch_Taupe_Front2_1024x1024.jpg

I have one and it's a good size for essentials, like lipstick, sanitizer etc, but not much else. The con of it is the closure design - unless your purse is very structured and organized, it always has a danger of coming open due to the flap slipping from under the cord that keeps it in place. The big pro is that it's nigh indestructible - I've had mine for almost 2 years now and (ab)used it every day (excl last weeks due to quarantine) - throwing it in carelessly with gym/swim bag stuff etc, and it still looks basically brand new. :smile:

I believe @southernbelle43 had the clutch for a little bit, so she may have insights into what it fits. My Mom got one but returned it - she didn't like the style that much in person. As for the pouch - your link doesn't seem to work, do you mean this design of a pouch?
Pouch_Taupe_Front2_1024x1024.jpg

I have one and it's a good size for essentials, like lipstick, sanitizer etc, but not much else. The con of it is the closure design - unless your purse is very structured and organized, it always has a danger of coming open due to the flap slipping from under the cord that keeps it in place. The big pro is that it's nigh indestructible - I've had mine for almost 2 years now and (ab)used it every day (excl last weeks due to quarantine) - throwing it in carelessly with gym/swim bag stuff etc, and it still looks basically brand new. :smile:

I did buy the clutch twice!! The first time I thought it was WAY too small to hold anything at all. The bag itself looks big and is pretty big, but the opening is small and not much will fit in it. Then a year went by and I downsized what I carry quite a bit, so I tried it again. Nope. It still does not hold as much as i want, so I gifted it to my niece. I am a slow learner. It looks great, wears great and is, as TotinScience says, almost indestructible as far as the material. If you only carry a small amount, it may work for you. I love my other VH bags!

I have the clutch in taupe. I like it - when I carry a clutch I don't carry a lot though.

Reactions: southernbelle43
Been eyeing this brand for a new work bag. Does anyone know/feel like whether the shopper versus the market would be good? I put several folders, few pouches and would want to try and bring my 13" macbook air as well. Thanks!

Been eyeing this brand for a new work bag. Does anyone know/feel like whether the shopper versus the market would be good? I put several folders, few pouches and would want to try and bring my 13" macbook air as well. Thanks!
Both models are great for work tbh and would fit what you have listed. The tote is a tiny bit smaller by an inch-ish both height and width than the large shopper (I’m assuming that’s the size you’re looking at). Page 3-4 on this thread has pics and reviews that might help you! I personally like the large shopper more because it has two internal slip pockets whereas the tote only has one outside slip pocket :smile: it honestly comes to aesthetics and price point as I would say volume wise they’re incredibly similar.

Reactions: mooncakes
I have had both and think either would work for you. If you want to have lots of extra room to slip in a sweater, etc., you may want the bigger shopper. Both are so light weight!

Having had owned both, I personally prefer the shopper more. The price difference is quite large, but the shopper is all around a more versatile bag. That being said, however, the tote is very classy and more structured, so if you work in a more formal environment and carry primarily flatter items you've described, it might be a great fit for you :smile:. The good thing is that they allow returns, so you can always try the bags out before committing to one versus the other.

My VH bag arrives tomorrow. I have alway loved the shopper but even the midi size was too big for me. When she came out with the little one, I immediately ordered one in blush. I like VH's sustainability ethos and the products are very nice for the money. I will post some shots when it gets here.