VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

OK… I need help.

I only have budget for one piece this year. I was pretty set on getting the TE 10 motif. Why? I love TE, I love the 5 motif bracelet and the rabbit clip, plus I think the 10 or 20 motif is a staple VCA item.

Then there is the Frivole pave pendant. They are about the same price (pendant is a little more because it would be in WG). I love pave Frivole and I do eventually want to start a WG collection. Last year’s HP made me fall in love with WG.

I have been wearing pendants a lot lately (almost daily) and this Frivole piece is less “VCA!!!!!” since it is not as recognizable. But I do have a few pendants already (though only one in WG so far, so I do think one more pendant in WG would complete my pendant family).

If you were me, would you get the more expensive item first (but the price difference is not too substantial) or get the 10 motif this year?
agree with Nicole above that you should get the TE first since it's one of the stones that's hard to come by. and even if you find one, you might not like the chatoyancy, or the dominance of blackness over the gold stripes, etc.

I've been looking at the TE bracelet on the European website and I think I've only seen it available once, back in Sept-Oct, and never again.

OK… I need help.

I only have budget for one piece this year. I was pretty set on getting the TE 10 motif. Why? I love TE, I love the 5 motif bracelet and the rabbit clip, plus I think the 10 or 20 motif is a staple VCA item.

Then there is the Frivole pave pendant. They are about the same price (pendant is a little more because it would be in WG). I love pave Frivole and I do eventually want to start a WG collection. Last year’s HP made me fall in love with WG.

I have been wearing pendants a lot lately (almost daily) and this Frivole piece is less “VCA!!!!!” since it is not as recognizable. But I do have a few pendants already (though only one in WG so far, so I do think one more pendant in WG would complete my pendant family).

If you were me, would you get the more expensive item first (but the price difference is not too substantial) or get the 10 motif this year?
Hi! I agree with the others TE is harder to get vs. Frivole pave, so based on that criteria alone, I would get TE.

That said...
I do want to mention wearing a 10 motif is very different than wearing a pendant.
I am not sure if you already have 10 motif necklaces or wear other choker-length necklaces vs. pendants.
If not, before you dive into a 10, I would think about what tops you would wear with it.

I personally find 10s hard to wear as they compete with my tops. I love it on others, but it's not for me, so just think about your wardrobe and how often you will wear a 10. You may already have other 10s and love that look which is great!

Since you mentioned the 20, it seems you are open to this length. TE in a 20 would be so gorgeous as you can see so many unique TE motifs. Between the 10 and 20, I vote the 20. Maybe try on any 20 to see if you like this look. I love the look of a 20.

Either way, I agree to finish up your TE set and then move to Frivole WG pave.

By the way, I am so excited for you on Frivole! I think Frivole WG pave is beautiful. It is gorgeous design and super blingy in WG. It's my favorite VCA collection. A Frivole pave pendant will be so beautiful on your neckline.

Congratulations on your soon to be new piece!

Hi everyone. I just got my 5 motif vintage alhambra in hammered yellow gold version. I noticed a few issues after I unbox it and is wondering if it is expected.

1) The clasp have a gap where I can slot a normal A4 printout through it. I don’t have this issue for my other alhambra pieces. The OCD in me is curious if this is expected.

2) Bracelet is less than 18.5cm instead of the usual 19cm. Thought I had gained weight when it was a bit tighter than the ones I tried in store before (not hammered gold versions). I haven’t remove any links on the bracelet yet.

3) Yellow gold shade looks a bit different from my 2 yr old hammered gold pendant. Small issue and I can live with it if the first issue is expected.

Maybe the quality of VCA pieces have dropped. Have anyone have similar issues and can share more?

OK… I need help.

I would get TE 10 motif and finish out YG set before moving on to WG. I

OK… I need help.

I agree with the others about finishing your TE set first. I love the Frivole pave pendant (actually just got it in the rose gold with pink sapphire!), but you'll be able to get it eventually when you are ready. TE can vary more than diamonds would (with pave, they are all pretty and consistent at VCA), so seeing your piece in person and knowing you like it would be important.

@snnysmm I was in the same position as yourself but rather my stone is MOP. I ended up getting the 10 motifs vs the Frivole WG pendant first to complete my set. I would get the TE 10 motifs and then add the WG pieces after.

I would get the TE 10 motif first, because this stone is sometimes hard to find, especially if you have a preferred color tone or striation pattern. It would be unfortunate if the perfect piece suddenly became available and you had already spent the yearly budget on a pendant that looks the same from one to the next.

agree with Nicole above that you should get the TE first since it's one of the stones that's hard to come by. and even if you find one, you might not like the chatoyancy, or the dominance of blackness over the gold stripes, etc.

I've been looking at the TE bracelet on the European website and I think I've only seen it available once, back in Sept-Oct, and never again.

Hi! I agree with the others TE is harder to get vs. Frivole pave, so based on that criteria alone, I would get TE.

That said...
I do want to mention wearing a 10 motif is very different than wearing a pendant.
I am not sure if you already have 10 motif necklaces or wear other choker-length necklaces vs. pendants.
If not, before you dive into a 10, I would think about what tops you would wear with it.

I personally find 10s hard to wear as they compete with my tops. I love it on others, but it's not for me, so just think about your wardrobe and how often you will wear a 10. You may already have other 10s and love that look which is great!

Since you mentioned the 20, it seems you are open to this length. TE in a 20 would be so gorgeous as you can see so many unique TE motifs. Between the 10 and 20, I vote the 20. Maybe try on any 20 to see if you like this look. I love the look of a 20.

Either way, I agree to finish up your TE set and then move to Frivole WG pave.

By the way, I am so excited for you on Frivole! I think Frivole WG pave is beautiful. It is gorgeous design and super blingy in WG. It's my favorite VCA collection. A Frivole pave pendant will be so beautiful on your neckline.

Congratulations on your soon to be new piece!

I would get TE 10 motif and finish out YG set before moving on to WG. I

I agree with the others about finishing your TE set first. I love the Frivole pave pendant (actually just got it in the rose gold with pink sapphire!), but you'll be able to get it eventually when you are ready. TE can vary more than diamonds would (with pave, they are all pretty and consistent at VCA), so seeing your piece in person and knowing you like it would be important.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Ironically, even though the unique chatoyancy and striations are the reasons why I love TE so much, what all of you said about my perfect TE coming along vs. pave Frivole being more or less the same each year, is not something I had considered before.

@BigAkoya I am interested to hear your thoughts about necklines and 10 motifs. I had assumed 10 motif would be easier to wear… but now you got me thinking…

TE it is! I can’t wait to have it in my hands!

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Ironically, even though the unique chatoyancy and striations are the reasons why I love TE so much, what all of you said about my perfect TE coming along vs. pave Frivole being more or less the same each year, is not something I had considered before.

@BigAkoya I am interested to hear your thoughts about necklines and 10 motifs. I had assumed 10 motif would be easier to wear… but now you got me thinking…

TE it is! I can’t wait to have it in my hands!
Hi! If you do not already have a 10 or a choker length necklace (not a pendant), I would definitely suggest you look at the type of tops you wear to see if you would wear a 10 regularly.

Depending on your style, I think choker length necklaces (the 10) can be tough to wear regularly.
I wear a lot of round neck tops, and in my opinion, a 10 competes with that neckline. A 10 never lands correctly againts a round neckline. It's almost always "just overlapping" the neckline which it then competes and looks messy. It may not matter to some people, but it does to me.

I think the 10 looks beautiful lying against skin (not lying on a shirt) and an open collar top.

Definitely try a 10 and see how you like the look. Also, depending on a person's neck, a 10 can look heavy and make a neck look thicker. When you try it on, be sure to wear a top you regularly wear so you can see how it looks on the usual you. Don't dress up with that one button down blouse you have to try on the 10 is my point here. You may wear a lot of tops that compliment the 10 and your neck is perfect for it though.

There are tons of people who love 10s, so this is all preference. It's lot of money to spend on a necklace if this look and length doesn't really work for your style. As I mentioned earlier, wearing a short pendant is very different than wearing a 10. A short pendant is almost an accent piece whereas the 10 is a choker length necklace. The two looks are very different.

That said... when you try on the 10, try on the 20 too! :nuts: :heart:
For me, I love long necklaces, so I love love love the 20. The 20 is super versatile, and I can throw it on with anything. It also works with round necklines, open collars, turtlenecks, etc. It is a bold piece, yet the swing of the necklace gives it a soft flow.

Just my two cents. I think once you try these pieces on, you will know. Jewelry is 100% preference, but more importantly, it's also if the piece suits your style and if you will wear it regularly.

Good luck to you! I'm so excited for you!

Last edited:
Hi! If you do not already have a 10 or a choker length necklace (not a pendant), I would definitely suggest you look at the type of tops you wear to see if you would wear a 10 regularly.

Depending on your style, I think choker length necklaces (the 10) can be tough to wear regularly.
I wear a lot of round neck tops, and in my opinion, a 10 competes with that neckline. A 10 never lands correctly againts a round neckline. It's almost always "just overlapping" the neckline which it then competes and looks messy. It may not matter to some people, but it does to me.

I think the 10 looks beautiful lying against skin (not lying on a shirt) and an open collar top.

Definitely try a 10 and see how you like the look. Also, depending on a person's neck, a 10 can look heavy and make a neck look thicker. When you try it on, be sure to wear a top you regularly wear so you can see how it looks on the usual you. Don't dress up with that one button down blouse you have to try on the 10 is my point here. You may wear a lot of tops that compliment the 10 and your neck is perfect for it though.

There are tons of people who love 10s, so this is all preference. It's lot of money to spend on a necklace if this look and length doesn't really work for your style. As I mentioned earlier, wearing a short pendant is very different than wearing a 10. A short pendant is almost an accent piece whereas the 10 is a choker length necklace. The two looks are very different.

That said... when you try on the 10, try on the 20 too! :nuts: :heart:
For me, I love long necklaces, so I love love love the 20. The 20 is super versatile, and I can throw it on with anything. It also works with round necklines, open collars, turtlenecks, etc. It is a bold piece, yet the swing of the necklace gives it a soft flow.

Just my two cents. I think once you try these pieces on, you will know. Jewelry is 100% preference, but more importantly, it's also if the piece suits your style and if you will wear it regularly.

Good luck to you! I'm so excited for you!

I actually did try on the 20 motif in TE, but it didn’t WOW me. It was beautiful, definitely, but not in the way my 5 motif or rabbit clip did, anyway. It was not love at first sight and I like to buy jewelry that I fall in love with the moment I see it/try them on, hehe. I usually wear v necks/lower neckline (but no cleavage lol) tops. Low enough for my pendants to show, so I do wonder if a 10 motif would be better for me.

Then again, if the 20 motif didn’t wow me, will a 10 motif? The 20 motif is so quintessentially VCA!

I actually did try on the 20 motif in TE, but it didn’t WOW me. It was beautiful, definitely, but not in the way my 5 motif or rabbit clip did, anyway. It was not love at first sight and I like to buy jewelry that I fall in love with the moment I see it/try them on, hehe. I usually wear v necks/lower neckline (but no cleavage lol) tops. Low enough for my pendants to show, so I do wonder if a 10 motif would be better for me.

Then again, if the 20 motif didn’t wow me, will a 10 motif? The 20 motif is so quintessentially VCA!
That's great, and you might love the 10 then! As you said, you will know immediately if it works for you and your style.

Reactions: hhw and snnysmm
How do you feel about the 16 motif rose gold sweet necklace as compared to the 20 motif rose gold vintage necklace? I like the idea of the 16, but am worried that it might not age well. I find my sweet pendant too small as compared to the vintage. But, I really like the 16 motif doubled up for daily wear. Your opinions are welcomed.

Reactions: hhw
How do you feel about the 16 motif rose gold sweet necklace as compared to the 20 motif rose gold vintage necklace? I like the idea of the 16, but am worried that it might not age well. I find my sweet pendant too small as compared to the vintage. But, I really like the 16 motif doubled up for daily wear. Your opinions are welcomed.
Personally I feel the 16 is good for for a casual simple look, but the 20 will stand the test of time and can be dressed up or down. The 16 is only good for dressed down in my opinion

I'm based in the US, and visiting Paris in a couple months. I'm working with a Paris-vendome SA who allows me to put a 30% deposit on items I would like to purchase, however the deposit needs to be a bank/wire transfer. Can anyone else verify this is legit? :smile: thank you!

How do you feel about the 16 motif rose gold sweet necklace as compared to the 20 motif rose gold vintage necklace? I like the idea of the 16, but am worried that it might not age well. I find my sweet pendant too small as compared to the vintage. But, I really like the 16 motif doubled up for daily wear. Your opinions are welcome.

I like the 16 sweet motifs more compared to the 10 or 20 motifs. If you foresee your lifestyle will be very casual when you get older, I think Sweet 16 is a good choice. I think your choice is really depends on your lifestyle. Personally I think the vintage 10 or 20 motifs are much more dressier. In my case, my lifestyle is very casual so I don't feel like I can ever use vintage 10 or 20.

Haven’t taken my bracelet off in a month or so, because I can’t get it off lol without DH help. I like to keep it on. Shower in it etc. I clean it every day while wearing it with a soft toothbrush and Dawn dish soap. You can scrub the onyx and it looks new after each cleaning. The onyx looks gunked up so fast, though. Only downside
I hope you aee this. I cleaned my carnelian with dawn dishsoap I had it only few secs and then runningvwatter and pat dry and now it looks patchy. What did I do wrong?