VCA ~ Van Cleef Arpels Discussion thread!

Question about how the earings fit. I got a pair of pave vintage Alhambra for last Christmas. They never snapped shut and when I put them on I always had to gently squeeze them closed, over the day I would check them and they felt lose and I would gently squeeze them closed again. I’ve had them repaired twice since Christmas, both times the SA admitted yeah they aren’t right. I just got them back for the second time and they are better repaired than the last time as they now snap shut. Can someone tell me over say a 6month period and wearing them say 3 times a week do they still snap shut? Frankly, I’m irritated with myself that in the first week I didn’t just return them but as it was my first VCA piece I didn’t really know how they should close. Please let me know your thoughts as I’m questioning the quality. Also does anyone know the warranty period? Also, any tips for putting then on ans taking them off - I know that sounds basic;)

Question about how the earings fit. I got a pair of pave vintage Alhambra for last Christmas. They never snapped shut and when I put them on I always had to gently squeeze them closed, over the day I would check them and they felt lose and I would gently squeeze them closed again. I’ve had them repaired twice since Christmas, both times the SA admitted yeah they aren’t right. I just got them back for the second time and they are better repaired than the last time as they now snap shut. Can someone tell me over say a 6month period and wearing them say 3 times a week do they still snap shut? Frankly, I’m irritated with myself that in the first week I didn’t just return them but as it was my first VCA piece I didn’t really know how they should close. Please let me know your thoughts as I’m questioning the quality. Also does anyone know the warranty period? Also, any tips for putting then on ans taking them off - I know that sounds basic;)
Hi! You should not have to snap them shut. The clip should be adjusted to hug your ears gently when you close them. For me, the VA Alhambra clips are a tiny bit too tight for me, and the post is a tiny bit too thick. In this case, VCA can adjust them looser and swap then out for a thinner post. So it may be a tightness issue for you.

In your case, could it be your clips are adjusted too loose and then you feel you have to press them to close them? If they are too loose, VCA can tightened them for you. But no... you should not have to squeeze them to close. If adjusted correctly, the clip mechanism will gently snap close and hug your ear.

It may be you have super thin ear lobes and need them tightened further? Or maybe this second adjustment is now just right.

And don't be shy in adjusting your earrings. If needed, you can keep adjusting them forever. My SA told me VCA realizes earrings are not one size fit all... they have different posts in thickness and length, they can tighten or loosen them because people's body changes. Here is a link to make you feel better sending them back in if needed. You can see in their service page, earclips can be adjusted forever: Jewelry services - Van Cleef & Arpels (vancleefarpels.com)

Putting clips on... no.. it's not a basic question, and even after years... I still have to "guess" at finding my ear hole! I am clumsy, so I literally hold my earlob one hand, hold the earring in the other hand, and kind of feel where my ear hole should be, jab my earlobe a few times and finally, it goes in. If you find yourself doing that... you are not alone! I have never been the type that can put on clips in the first shot or with one hand. :biggrin:

Congratulations on your earrings! I am sure they are beautiful on you!

Thank you Yoshi1296! I got the hammered gold and I love it :smile:
I can’t believe how well it catches the light. The single motif pendant is sparkly but there’s something about the 5 motifs together in the bracelet which is extra special :love:

Yay congrats! Enjoy the bracelet! It is so lovely and easy to wear! I never take mine off, so special to me :heart:

• Love
Reactions: 880
Hi,
I tried MOP 2 motif recently and I returned it since it didn’t work out for me. I don’t know if it was the color or style itself. I wanted to try the other 2 motif options before I make a decision on this style. Grey MOP/pave 2 motif is not an option since I don’t grey MOP on my tan skintone. My SA is shipping me these two options. Does anybody have these? What do you think is a better choice between the two? Thanks :heart:

View attachment 5084467View attachment 5084468
I think the two-motif carnelian/TE is stunning. I am olive-complected. I tried these years ago and they were very flattering. I like the combination, the carnelian enhances the TE, the TE enhances the carnelian, and both enhance the gold and vice versa.

I personally do not care for the MOP/TE Butterfly motif. First, I would never pair these two stones together. Second, I'm not enamored with the flat butterfly. Third, I don't understand these earrings at all--they're neither alhambra nor fauna--to me they're a bizarre and unappealing-as if someone at VCA had the stones left over and said, "hey, let's do something with these". I'm expect some people love them, but I'm not a fan . . .

HOWEVER, this is my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt . . .

Hi,
I tried MOP 2 motif recently and I returned it since it didn’t work out for me. I don’t know if it was the color or style itself. I wanted to try the other 2 motif options before I make a decision on this style. Grey MOP/pave 2 motif is not an option since I don’t grey MOP on my tan skintone. My SA is shipping me these two options. Does anybody have these? What do you think is a better choice between the two? Thanks :heart:

I prefer carnelian and TE. I haven’t tried them on because they’ve never been in stock when I’m in store ... but one day.

Hi,

I know these are WG, 2082046.png.transform.vca-w820-2x.pngbut I think they are gorgeous!

Yay congrats! Enjoy the bracelet! It is so lovely and easy to wear! I never take mine off, so special to me :heart:
Thanks, I love it! Quick question- do you sleep with your bracelet on? I never take off my Cartier Love or JUC even to sleep but because of the chain and (maybe?) more fragile nature of the Alhambra I’m wondering whether or not it’s ok to keep it on 24/7...?

Thanks, I love it! Quick question- do you sleep with your bracelet on? I never take off my Cartier Love or JUC even to sleep but because of the chain and (maybe?) more fragile nature of the Alhambra I’m wondering whether or not it’s ok to keep it on 24/7...?

Hi! I don't take mine off to sleep, but only because I have a thin chain bracelet paired with it, so there isn't anything that may cause damage to my VCA. Although, these bracelets are quite sturdy. I pretty much never take mine off unless when I'm moving something heavy or doing heavy cleaning.

I even shower or do the dishes with it on and it has held up just fine.

Reactions: lilpikachu and hhw
Hi! I don't take mine off to sleep, but only because I have a thin chain bracelet paired with it, so there isn't anything that may cause damage to my VCA. Although, these bracelets are quite sturdy. I pretty much never take mine off unless when I'm moving something heavy or doing heavy cleaning.

I even shower or do the dishes with it on and it has held up just fine.
Ok thanks :smile:

I like the one with the tiger eye and carnelian Alhambra! I tried it in the magic Alhambra 6 motif necklace and it’s a beautiful combo in person.
+1 for the same reason :biggrin: Also agree with @Happyish re the colors and the butterfly mixed with clover. And with @911snowball re the singular appeal of this two motif
Congratulations @lulu-47 on your new bracelet!
@BigAkoya, thank goodness; I thought I was the only one who took some time and effort into finding the ear piercing and getting the earring in place :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yodabest

Years ago (10 to be exact) I bought the RG Sweet Alhambra bracelet and repurposed it to wear as an anklet. I've worn it every day since (just like the Love and the JUC). I shower, sleep and work-out in it. I never take it off. I can't believe how sturdy this is (watch, I'll probably lose it tomorrow [please no!!!!]).
With that being said, I would never wear it this way if it were made with one of the stones: e.g., MOP, carnelian, turquoise, etc. as all are fragile and would show signs of wear if not irreparable damage from this kind of daily use. Remember, stones are porous and hot water, chlorine, soap or whatever, will all take their toll--the stones can become brittle and crack, the color can fade and the shiny surface will dull over time. I don't know what your bracelet is made of, but you may want to keep this in mind when deciding whether to wear it or take it off for certain activities.

Years ago (10 to be exact) I bought the RG Sweet Alhambra bracelet and repurposed it to wear as an anklet. I've worn it every day since. I shower, sleep and work-out in it. I never take it off. I can't believe how sturdy this is (watch, I'll probably lose it tomorrow) [please no!!!!]. With that being said, I would never wear it this way if it were made with one of the stones: e.g., MOP, carnelian, turquoise, etc. as all are fragile and would probably show signs of wear if not damage from this kind of daily use. Remember, stones are porous and hot water, chlorine, soap or whatever, will all take their toll--the stones can become brittle and crack, the color can fade and the polished surface will dull over time. I don't know what your bracelet is made of, but you may want to keep this in mind when deciding whether to take it off for certain activities.
What a totally cute idea! I have not worn an anklet in years. Sweet is the perfect size. Love this idea.