US Customs discussion - airports, importing

Depends on what airport you use, and how much you ( or your spouse) hates to wait in line. After waiting an hour to get through immigration at SFO, we applied. Next trip we got to a kiosk immediately and made it to baggage carousel before any bags from our flight. I thought it was worth it! Also, we get guaranteed precheck on all domestic flights- that was really a time saver at both SFO and EWR(Newark) for us, multiple times in the last few years.
Totally worth it based on the above. Always get domestic precheck when we travel after having Global Entry. Some CC's offer to reimburse the cost. Amex did for me. Might want to check that out.

Depends on what airport you use, and how much you ( or your spouse) hates to wait in line. After waiting an hour to get through immigration at SFO, we applied. Next trip we got to a kiosk immediately and made it to baggage carousel before any bags from our flight. I thought it was worth it! Also, we get guaranteed precheck on all domestic flights- that was really a time saver at both SFO and EWR(Newark) for us, multiple times in the last few years.

Totally worth it based on the above. Always get domestic precheck when we travel after having Global Entry. Some CC's offer to reimburse the cost. Amex did for me. Might want to check that out.

Once you apply, how long does it last? Must we renew?

Once you apply, how long does it last? Must we renew?
It lasts five years. As @Txoceangirl says, many CCs, including AmexPlatinum and Chase Sapphire, reimburse the fee.
Personally I could not live without Global Entry and Precheck, because I travel all the time, but even occasionally - isn't it worth it just to not have to take off your shoes and take out your liquids at security? It also saves you SO much time in immigration. I don't check bags, so I am usually through immigration AND customs within 15 minutes or less after landing.
(I am figuring this is on topic, as it affects how you declare items and to whom, and definitively affects your customs experience.... :biggrin: )

Regarding global entry---only my husband has it, and I'm traveling with my parents along with my daughter, can we go in the same line (global entry line)as my husband or we have to go in a separate line?

I love global entry and precheck. However, I seem to get the same customs agent every time I go through customs(the global entry line). He can be very strict( he said so himself). On my last trip he wanted to know what type of purses I purchased( Hermes, Chanel or Louis Vuitton). He said I don't have to pay this time but next time I will have to pay. I thanked him and practically ran out of the airport.:biggrin:

I love global entry and precheck. However, I seem to get the same customs agent every time I go through customs(the global entry line). He can be very strict( he said so himself). On my last trip he wanted to know what type of purses I purchased( Hermes, Chanel or Louis Vuitton). He said I don't have to pay this time but next time I will have to pay. I thanked him and practically ran out of the airport.:biggrin:
wow he is strict! which airport was this?

jfk. I remembered him from a previous trip. I had shopping bags in my hand so it was obvious I did duty free shopping. He wanted to know what was in my bags and how much I spent in duty free! I hoping next time he is on vacation.

Maybe if the regular line is not too bad, opt for that instead of going through the global entry line, but if you do go through global entry, I hope he will be on vacay as well! Lol

Isn't there a per family value that is higher than $800? I cannot easily find that dollar value on the website for cbp. Thanks

It's $800 per person

You can combine this allowance, so, for instance, I purchased an Evelyne PM in London recently, which is the equivalent of about USD $2175. DH and I came back through Global Entry (into JFK I think), I declared the purchase, the Global Entry agent pointed out we were only about $575 over the combined exemption of $1600 and waived the duty on that.
I don't know how far you can take it, for instance if you come through with an immediate family of ten :P

Reactions: thatsme123 and p3b
You can combine this allowance, so, for instance, I purchased an Evelyne PM in London recently, which is the equivalent of about USD $2175. DH and I came back through Global Entry (into JFK I think), I declared the purchase, the Global Entry agent pointed out we were only about $575 over the combined exemption of $1600 and waived the duty on that.
I don't know how far you can take it, for instance if you come through with an immediate family of ten :P
Sorry I wasn't clear. It's $800 per person traveling together. So 3 people, you get an allowance of $2400

Maybe if the regular line is not too bad, opt for that instead of going through the global entry line, but if you do go through global entry, I hope he will be on vacay as well! Lol
I might try that next time. I don't know if they will redirect me to the global entry line? Well let's hope my flying schedule does not coincide with his working schedule!

Reactions: Nl404