Two 70s/80s made-in-NYC bags, going through baths, documentins pics, as was requested

Ok, so now it's Tuesday. We continue.

Bath was Saturday. Took the last paper towels out Sunday morning, and just let the bag sit, as last stated, since then.

Tuesday afternoon and it was completely dry. Stiff, but dry. (But as I said, it was stiff even before the bath. The bath may have contributed to the stiffness a little, but this leather was dry already when I first bought it.)

I actually did two conditionings today, because it just drank the conditioner in. I did the first conditioning early this afternoon, and the second conditioning just before dinner. I still think I have two conditionings yet to go ... that's my guess.

Ok, pics time ...

First pic ... As the bag looked when I first picked it up today. You can kind of see the stiffness in the "stiff waves" of the leather.

Second pic ... Inside the inner pocket, after bath and drying. That's where the melted candies had been. There's still a mark, but nothing like it started. And it does not feel sticky or anything to the touch. It's more of a color blemish than anything else.

Third pic ... Inside of the main compartment. The one blemish that had been in there is much less visible. You pretty much had to know it was there to begin with, to pick it out now.

Fourth pic ... Starting on the first side with Apple conditioner.

Ok, I know bunny and hyacinth, off the top of my head, use Lexol. I've always stuck with Apple primarily because it seems nice and mild to me, and we're careful about what chemicals we use in our house. We have eight parrots, which I also handle daily. Birds are more sensitive, so we really do watch what chemicals we use. The Apple seems nice and "mild", rubs into the leather well, and I can wash it off of my hands easily with Ivory soap. I use my bare fingers to rub the Apple into the leather, and I've never felt like my hands were being harmed, hence making me think "nice and mild".

So anyway, that's why I've always kept with the Apple conditioner. Note, also, that Apple does have the biggest qualification for leather, and that is that it is silicon-free. Conditioner with silicon, from what I've read, is bad for the leather. So in sticking with Apple, I'm at least covering the "biggest base" for being healthy for the leather.

Ok, sorry for the ramble. Moving on ...

Fifth pic .... partially rubbed in.

Rubbing the conditioner in is really just like rubbing handcream into your own skin. (Or at least it is for me.) And I do use my bare fingers. I know some places have said you can use a cloth. Well to be honest, my hands have never felt any adverse effects from the Apple, so I just use my bare fingers. (If anything, my hands come out 'softer' too.)

And the other reason I use my bare fingers is that it's easier to really massage the conditioner into the leather.

Look at it this way ... leather is fibrous inside. That means that the main mode of transport for the conditioner to move deeper through the fibrous material, is capillary action accelerated by movement/compression. As the fibers move against each other, and are compressed then decompressed, the conditioner moves along, pulled also by the capillary action. Well the movement/compression/decompression, is you doing the rubbing. And that rubbing can be more "textured" ... deeper and more varied ... if I just use my bare fingers.

So yeah, it's bare fingers and Apple for the rest of these pics tonight.

Again, sorry for the ramble, but I'm trying to be thorough.

Attachments

• r22.jpg
    r22.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,336
  • r23.jpg
    r23.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,329
  • r24.jpg
    r24.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,337
  • r25.jpg
    r25.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,347
  • r26.jpg
    r26.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,395
Continuing ...

First pic ... That's a bad pic (but it's hard to take pics while you're doing this ;) ). My point with this pic is that I get even the trimmed edges. Anywhere that there is finished leather, even the trimmed edges, condition it. What you see in this pic is a thin line of conditioner along one edge trimming, that I'm about to rub into the trim.

Second pic ... The creed area of the inner pocket getting conditioned. I pulled the inner pocket out, obviously. And as I said, anywhere that you can get to finished leather (ie, not the suede surfaces, but everywhere else), condition it.

Third pic ... conditioning even the strap. I'm about to rub that cream in on literally every finished leather surface of the strap.

Fourth pic ... coditioning even the inside "finished leather" portion of the loop that holds the strap onto the metal ring. And that's another point I wanted to make ... any loops that hold metal rings are especially massaged with the conditioner, because I want any leather that bears the weight of a metal loop, to be nice and healthy.

And yes, I did the strap too, as well as the hangtag. Like I said, any finished leather surface. And with special attention to any leather that's weightbearing with metal loops. All of them.

------------------

Ok, so I did one round of conditioning in the early afternoon, then another conditioning just before dinner.

What I wanted to show in the Fifth picture, is that the leather is now becoming pliable and more supple. ...... Before this conditioning, the leather really wanted to hold its own shape due to dryness. Stiffness. When it was still stiff, if I would have held one end of the bag, the bag would have stayed relatively straight like a board. (Or at least close to straight.)

What I was trying to show with the Fifth picture, is that now when I hold one side of the bag, the bag bends and sags. (Which in all honesty, is what I personally love. This leather is *to die for* once it's nice and supple and pliable again. And it's starting to get there now.

(And I also discovered later, that a couple of these pics wound up with birds in the background. I couldn't resist circling them. ;) )

Attachments

• r31.jpg
    r31.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,366
  • r30.jpg
    r30.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,346
  • r29.jpg
    r29.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,329
  • r28.jpg
    r28.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,362
  • r27.jpg
    r27.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,341
One more post for tonight ...

First pic ... another shot of the pliable "bending". (And another birdie ;) )

Ok, and now I'm going to let the bag "soak in the conditioner" for tonight and tomorrow. (To reinforce our sense of time, today is Tuesday, and I'll do another conditioning on Thursday.)

I *will*, however, do something to it a few times tomorrow (Wednesday). I'm going to pick it up and just bend it around a little. I'll try to get pics of daughter doing this. .... Why? Because that will help the capillary action move the conditioner along along the fiber matrix within the matrix. Nothing wild, just basically movement of the leather. I'll do that a few times tomorrow, and get a pic of daughter doing it.

Second and Third pics ... as it sits now. Note, also, you can also see the leather becoming more pliable in these pics too. The side that's facing up, is no longer shaped like a stiff board with waves.

Attachments

• r32.jpg
    r32.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,334
  • r33.jpg
    r33.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,345
  • r34.jpg
    r34.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,367
Oh, and I should add one more thing ...

In the pictures from the conditioning, or even the final pictures, if any of the "fine" edges of the leather trim, or any of the lines of stitching, look a little white, it's just a little of the white conditioner that hasn't soaked in and I didn't wipe off. For example, in the very last two pictures above, you can see some white highlighting the stitching in the middle of the bottom of the bag, and also along the lower edge/corner trimming.

Just clarifying. Don't worry about it.

Oh, and I should add one more thing ...

In the pictures from the conditioning, or even the final pictures, if any of the "fine" edges of the leather trim, or any of the lines of stitching, look a little white, it's just a little of the white conditioner that hasn't soaked in and I didn't wipe off. For example, in the very last two pictures above, you can see some white highlighting the stitching in the middle of the bottom of the bag, and also along the lower edge/corner trimming.

Just clarifying. Don't worry about it.

Yeah, I always find buffing out the dried conditioner that didn't absorb with a light gauzy white cloth helps too.

Ok, continuing ...

Yesterday was the "day off", between conditionings. All I did was "fondle" the leather a few times to help make sure the conditioner was distributing well inside. In other words, pick the bag up and bend the leather this way and that (gently of course). I did that a few times, but took no pictures because quite frankly it was a messed up day. We were out of electricity for 8 hours due to the ice storm that socked the east coast. So yeah ... I'll just say that I picked it up a few times and fondled/gently bent the leather.

Today I just did another conditioning. Pretty much the same process as two days ago, but I did take one picture at the end. I wanted to show how "flexible/bendable/supple" the leather is becoming. You can see how I'm supporting the bag from inside, and you can see how the leather is "draping/sagging". Much less stiff.

Tomorrow I'll let it rest again, except for some more "fondling", then I'll probably do one more conditioning the day after.

Attachments

• r35.jpg
    r35.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,373
Ok, well, I think I'm done. :biggrin:

Amen.

It's had another two days to "marinade in its own juices", with my "fondling" it in between to give the leather that extra little movement, and I think I'm happy with it.

It had, essentially, three conditionings, because if you'll recall I did the first two back to back, then waited two days and gave it a third layer of conditioning. Now we're two days after that, and I think I'm happy.

So today, I did *one more thing* ... I took a clean napkin and just gave it a gentle buffing/wipe-down to get off any last remaining conditioner. And I must say, the leather is reeeeeeally nice now. I love it ... thick, supple, rich, and the word that someone around tpf had once used for vintage Coach leather ... "chewy". I just love this leather. :biggrin:

Ok, so I'm attaching three pics to this post, and then in the next post, I just want to do one last comparison.

But for this post ...

First and second pics ... After that last gentle buffing/wipe-down with the napkin. I also re-attached both the strap and the hangtag. Also, I did tie a simple knot in the strap, just like the previous owner of my Brown Basic bag had done. (The double strap would have driven me up the wall, I could tell already.)

Third pic ... just my own preference ... I like black and purple, and attached a plum Coach script to one side, and a plum/lilac hangtag to the other. ... And I actually already did use the finished bag, this evening to take daughter to her kung fu classes. :smile:

Attachments

• r36.jpg
    r36.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,386
  • r37.jpg
    r37.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3,314
  • r39.jpg
    r39.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,425
Reactions: LL777
Ok, and so finally, here is the progress of the leather ...

As it was purchased:

attachment.php

---------------------

After the bath in warm soapy water, brief soak in clear water, and complete air drying ...

attachment.php

------------------------

After two conditionings with Apple, then a day of just getting "flexed/fondled" a little, then another conditioning, and another day of just getting "flexed/fondled" ...

attachment.php

------------------------------

So, hopefully, I have met my goal. And that was to prove, via documentation, that for this vintage Coach leather, a bath and conditioning will *not* hurt it, and will actually improve it dramatically.

(And if you get a vintage bag that doesn't need a bath, or if it's one of your own bags that only needs a little conditioning ----- hey, if you can skip the bath, then skip it. In those cases, the conditioning step alone will also only improve it. )

:smile:

This is such an interesting and informative post! Thank you! Just curious....how did you come across these 2 vintage bags?

In each case, I was browsing local antique marts. At one mart, I got the brown Basic bag, and hubby got a "Wolverine" phone (character from X-men comics). At the other mart, I got the black Basic bag, and hubby got a statue of "Thing" (from Fantastic 4 comics .. see a trend?) I think that's fair. ;)

The brown Basic was tagged at $25, but they were having a 20% off sale, so $20. The black Basic was also tagged at $25, but at the register I discovered it was 10% off, so $22.50. .... And of course, always authenticate older bags on our authentication thread under Coach Shopping. Hyacinth and DemRam are especially good at authenticating vintage. Note, as they've both said, some vintage bags actually *were* faked pretty heavily, and in just the last year, I've seen them catch a few fake vintage bags in that thread. So do get "vintage" authenticated too.

But as you can see, it's really not that hard. And if the NYC bags can handle getting bathed, as some of the oldest Coach bags out there, then other other unlined vintage bags usually can too. The first time you dunk one of these vintage (unlined) leather bags in soapy water, it's pretty terrifying. My goal here was to have a thread I could point to, to allay fears. :smile: