Tote bag question

TofuFa

Aug 15, 2022
I been wondering for a while. That while there are so many types of bags out there that caters for everyone needs whether it is shape, style, colour, or anything else the Tote bag is one of the most general day to day bag I seem to find being used because of it's natural ease of use and plenty of storage.

My question for you lovely ladies is what do you find important as a tote bag? Durability? Space? What things do you wish most brands did more of with their tote bags such as optional different straps?

Just curious to find out what people's opinions are out there :smile:

Hmmm off the top of my head:

1) structure - be able to stand on its own, no slouching or falling over empty or filled. And maintain it’s overall shape over the years.
2) preferably with feet - totes are workhorse bags to me. I will put them on the ground, bottom of my car, on luggage etc., so it’s best if they have feet so they won’t directly touch the ground.
3) Shoulder space in case I need to be hands free. I find a crossbody strap is too bulky and the movement is awkward. So at least give me straps long enough to fit over my shoulder in case I need it. Cannot be handle-held only unless it’s a very small tote or I have a personal butler. :P
4) Durable material. Preferably coated or treated canvas because it’s lightweight. But leather is fine as long as it’s not too heavy. Woven cloth can get stained in case of an accident (drink, makeup, lotion, etc.) but I guess a bag insert can help remedy most issues.

Space, durability, lightweight, and straps that are long enough to comfortably fit over my shoulder. The last one is the biggest and most frequent problem as many totes have straps that have 2-3 inches too little drop to be practical.

Reactions: Random Walks
Let's start off with thank you for the replies thus far before we move onto the elephant in the room.

It seems there is a reoccurring problem as I thought with totes in general. I mean with all the fashion labels out there it would be impossible to not be aware of these problems from a consumer perspective. But why it's still a persisting issue is a big question mark. Is it just down to less visually appealing? Cutting potential costs? or something else. Makes you wonder :oh:

IDK. I prefer satchels for the most part but LV Neverfull is a tote, right? and very popular
Yes, Neverfull is a popular Tote. But I think the popularity surrounding that Tote is generally because it's almost considered as an entry to the world of LV for many. Like the starter bag so it comes as no surprise that many does have it. Even then there is nothing awfully particular about that bag that really sets it apart from other totes aesthetic tastes aside if you know what I mean?