Tiffany’s white gold

Dec 4, 2010
Hi! I tried doing a search but couldn’t find anything so I’m hoping one of you may know, or be able to point me in the right direction. But does anyone know if Tiffany’s white gold is rhodium plated? Is it like Cartier where only diamond pieces are plated? Or is it all plated? Or not plated at all?

Any insight would be appreciated:smile:

Pretty certain all Tiffany's white gold is rhodium plated.... isn't all white gold rhodium plated, or how does it become white??? I vaguely recall being told what you said about Cartier but I don't remember the details on that. When I look up white gold jewelry like this, it says it has a rhodium finish aka rhodium plating? https://www.cartier.com/en-us/jewelry/rings/juste-un-clou-ring-CRB4099200.html

Pretty certain all Tiffany's white gold is rhodium plated.... isn't all white gold rhodium plated, or how does it become white??? I vaguely recall being told what you said about Cartier but I don't remember the details on that. When I look up white gold jewelry like this, it says it has a rhodium finish aka rhodium plating? https://www.cartier.com/en-us/jewelry/rings/juste-un-clou-ring-CRB4099200.html
All white gold isn't rhodium plated... what makes it white / grey are white / grey metals in the alloy (say silver/palladium/nickel/platinum).

As for the OP's question, my suggestion would be to contact Tiffany. I find it strange that they don't mention a replating service on their FAQ / repair tab on their website...which would have been normal to have if they had a plating on the white gold pieces.

That’s a very good question! I have never asked my Tiffany SA that. Though all the WG pieces (with or without diamonds) that I have tried were all rhodium plated.

As for Cartier, my SA said, all non-diamond WG pieces are not rhodium plated but anything with diamonds is. My husband’s WG love ring and my WG JUC ring are both not rhodium plated.

Thanks for the insight. I mostly wear rose gold but have a Cartier non plated white gold bracelet in my stack. I was hoping that Tiffany’s white gold would also not be plated so that one white gold piece wouldn’t be bright white and the other steely gray.

I asked the online chat option on their website, but I’m hesitant to believe them as they told me that they don’t plate any of their jewelry…which may be the case, but idk.

Pretty sure it’s all rhodium plated. I had a white gold bracelet that was repaired because it got a bit deformed, and they replated it too because the bottom had become a bit yellow. And this bracelet was entirely white gold, as opposed to having diamonds. My white gold diamond graffiti love ring is also yellowing at the bottom. It’s not super discernible to outsiders, but I notice the color change… I don’t think I own any other white gold pieces from Tiffany? I really try to stick to platinum, because I can’t stand the plating wearing off.

I think the white gold alloy that Tiffany uses is a warmer, very light yellow color, instead of being gray like Cartier’s. As far as I know, everything white gold at Tiffany is plated to make it more white.

Edit: Actually, I just thought of another white gold piece I own. It’s a ring, but this one is pave all the way around. For that one, I have not noticed any yellowing. Probably because the ring rotates, so the wear and tear is distributed more evenly instead of always being on the bottom of the piece.

it is plated. I have an example of R-Plating worn off on Tiffany's wg ring. You can see original white spot with plating at connection vs gray-ed areas where it worn off.
1665167648472.png
I sent it to Tiffany's for the full service and it's new again (re-polished, re-plated).

Reactions: americanroyal89
Hi! I tried doing a search but couldn’t find anything so I’m hoping one of you may know, or be able to point me in the right direction. But does anyone know if Tiffany’s white gold is rhodium plated? Is it like Cartier where only diamond pieces are plated? Or is it all plated? Or not plated at all?

Any insight would be appreciated:smile:
I am also curious