Tiffany & Co. Jewelry

On a side note... I asked her a few questions about Tiffany diamonds and here's what I learned for what it's worth!

RE: SI clarity diamonds... they said they do not seek out SI1's for their rings, BUT if they procure an AGI certified (or the other house, I something?) VS2 and then take it to their labs and find it's on the cusp, they elect to downgrade it so that the customer is NEVER surprised later on down the road unfavourably.

RE: In House Grading... she said that all diamonds they procure are already certified by GIA or IGA (I THINK it's IGA?) and then put through their own lab for testing. She said that they are more stringent in their grading system... and that any stone over 1 carat should have the GIA or other report in NY and if one were really interested in seeing it, it could be pulled. She said last week they did that with an emerald cut for a woman who just wanted both for insurance purposes.

I know I know... she can say whatever she wants... just passing that on! In other words they never pull ungraded diamonds and just grade them independently - they all have already been graded. Interesting! Would love to test that theory and ask for them to pull my GIA/etc when I buy this one just out of curiosity! But honestly... the reason I don't question it is because ANYONE could take their Tiffany diamond to GIA to have it tested, couldn't they? I mean how many bad reviews would they risk before people really stopped believing in the brand? I just can't see them risking being too willy nilly with their "in house grading system", especially as their claim is that they are MORE stringent and err on the lower side of the system. I'm not saying they'd never be wrong, it IS subjective to some degree... but I personally trust them!

That's good to know! Thank you. :smile:

On a side note... I asked her a few questions about Tiffany diamonds and here's what I learned for what it's worth!

RE: SI clarity diamonds... they said they do not seek out SI1's for their rings, BUT if they procure an AGI certified (or the other house, I something?) VS2 and then take it to their labs and find it's on the cusp, they elect to downgrade it so that the customer is NEVER surprised later on down the road unfavourably.

RE: In House Grading... she said that all diamonds they procure are already certified by GIA or IGA (I THINK it's IGA?) and then put through their own lab for testing. She said that they are more stringent in their grading system... and that any stone over 1 carat should have the GIA or other report in NY and if one were really interested in seeing it, it could be pulled. She said last week they did that with an emerald cut for a woman who just wanted both for insurance purposes.

I know I know... she can say whatever she wants... just passing that on! In other words they never pull ungraded diamonds and just grade them independently - they all have already been graded. Interesting! Would love to test that theory and ask for them to pull my GIA/etc when I buy this one just out of curiosity! But honestly... the reason I don't question it is because ANYONE could take their Tiffany diamond to GIA to have it tested, couldn't they? I mean how many bad reviews would they risk before people really stopped believing in the brand? I just can't see them risking being too willy nilly with their "in house grading system", especially as their claim is that they are MORE stringent and err on the lower side of the system. I'm not saying they'd never be wrong, it IS subjective to some degree... but I personally trust them!

Wow, thanks for asking these questions Jen! And for whatever it's worth, I agree about Tiffany's reputation being on the line with every stone they sell. It's just not worth it to try to con the consumer that way. I mean they already have a fabulous business selling things that most women want, at a price that most women agree is overpriced, and yet they aren't hurting for customers. Why ruin a great gig like that by inflating the stats on a percentage of the 'dog' stones? It just doesn't make sense to me.