The Tiffany Elsa Peretti Bean Thread

Woohoo!

I do my roots every 10-14 days like clockwork. If I can see root, that's not acceptable, but if someone else could see root, EVERYTHING is dropped for a touchup. :lol:

I don't put dye in the ends, I use colored conditioners to stain from about 1" from root down. Usually 3 times a "cycle".

Yep, that sounda about right... That's why your hair looks lovely! :smile: I was just not so great about maintaining it.... :smile:

So the story is this:
2 years ago, I was having a rough time at this certain Starbucks I was working at (I have since transferred and am much happier). My SO secretly bought me a Tiffany bean that I had seen on Bonanza. It was so sweet of him, and he is not a gifty guy; strictly birthday, christmas, and anniversary. So for him to just give me this meant alot to me. When I got it, I didn't realize how huge it was (it's the 20mm in sterling silver). I had it shortened to choker length so that it wouldn't "clunk" against my breastbone. I have a 13" neck, so I had it shortened to 14.5". I am thinking about going to 15" though, I wonder if it is TOO short... But here is a pic of that one:

IMG00783-20120315-0857.jpg

One day I was in the San Francisco Tiffany's and they had all the beans out on display, and I was amazed at how different in shape my bean looked compared to the newer ones. To be honest, I felt that the newer ones looked more like a kidney bean than mine did. I know that mine is real, I had it sent to the Tiffany's in New York to be polished up, but mine must be a failry old one judging from the stamping on the back of it. So now I wanted one that was a newer shape... So I went out and got the 9mm, but it didn't seem to have the right size I was looking for, so I exchanged it for the 12mm, but... then I felt guilty that I had bought a smaller bean also in sterling silver just like the one that my SO bought me... So I ended up selling it after nearly a year. I was angry at myself for doing that, because I HATE making purchases that I don't end up keeping.
But I still wanted a small bean, just not in sterling silver. I looked at the rose gold bean online, and it was very cute, but then my eyes alighted upon the black jade one. I was intrigued. It was 12mm just like the silver one I had gotten rid of, but different.

IMG00798-20120317-1842.jpg

Apparently there is a 12mm and a 20mm in the black jade. I tried on both. The 12mm was $220; compared to the same size bean in sterling silver, which was $175. I asked why a stone bean was more than a sterling silver one, and the SA informed that they hand carve the black jade ones, as opposed to the sterling silver ones being machine made. The 20mm was $375. I did consider that one, but thoughts of it "thunking" against my cheast made me go back to the 12mm.

So there ya go! I am quite happy with the purchase of this bean, and I also feel that it doesn't disrespect the large sterling silver one that my SO gifted me. But I definitely would love some input about the length of my larger bean; should i make it a tad longer?

^^your black bean looks so awesome! That's good for you but bad for me, maybe I will put it on my wishlist since my birthday is in July. They both do look great on you.

I think it looks good at that length but would probably look good a little longer too, it probably depends on what feels more comfortable to you & personal preference. The length it is at now would make it a great layering piece if you ever layer - IMO.

I love a necklace that fits close! Don't lengthen it, it's so unique and custom looking at that length. The new black bean is sooo pretty, I'm very intriqued by it! It's very feminine and unusual, I love it :heart:. Enjoy your new bean!

I love that new black jade bean! You're on quite the Tiffany roll! I love the bean design. In my opinion you should lengthen the larger bean. You have been thinking about it for a little while so it must bug you where it is. Maybe that 1/2 inch will make the difference? Personally I like them to lay just below the hollow of the neck like your black jade one. They're beautiful pieces though. This thread is seriously making me want another bean (I have a 12mm ss one that I will post in here one day). I just got a YG open heart but I am debating exchanging. I hate second guessing myself too!

I would love to see a picture of the beans together. I generally like a longer chain but if youre going to wear that ss bean layered, it's probably best it stays on that shorter chain.

I am going to think it over about the length. I like it being shorter, because the bean was "thunking" against my chest! Does anyone else have a large bean? Does anyone know what the original length chain it came on? Mine was on a 16".
Either I will keep it at this length, or possibly make it longer. I will think it over!
I know I have been buying a lot of Tiffany lately; I can't help that my birthday and my tax refund are right next to each other, lol!

So here is me wearing both beans. Normally, I would not wear both, but for size comparison I thought this would help.
I have a 13" neck, and the 20mm sterling silver bean is on a 14.5" chain, and the 12mm black jade bean is on a 16" chain. I asked my SO last night what he thought, he thought the large bean should be on a longer chain, and that the smaller bean should be shorter! :smile:

IMG00806-20120318-2144.jpg

Reactions: J9Fell4Tiffanys
I agree. I think the larger one needs much longer chain, and the smaller bean can be shorter.

It is a LOT of work, but it's worth it!

I wish I had not gone and gotten it shortened... Now I may have to pay twice, and that makes me frustrated. I am going to wear an extender on the large bean for awhile, and see how I like it. :smile:

Here (finally) is my 12 mm SS bean on a 15" chain (had it shortened). I love it and am trying to decide if I should get one in rose gold too. Anyone know if they make the 12mm in rose gold too? I've only ever seen the mini (9mm) one.

photo-15.jpg

^ 12mm looks great on you!!

I was told that they didn't do the rose gold in 12mm. I would have ideally chosen that size too. I'm happy enough with the 9mm though! It's my everyday necklace now.