The minimalist wardrobe : Support/progress thread

Oh so true. I remember as a teenager, going clothes shopping with my mum, you wouldn’t even expect to take anything home straight from the hanger. SAs were forever pinning hems and backs while you were trying out stuff. Many even carried pin cushions on their arms.

And now it happens less and less that shops offer tayloring even if some still do. That is my trick for finding a good tailor @Etriers , asking a store or boutique I trust for a reference for theirs. The trouble is that they always seem to tend to work with aged tailors who are forever retiring...
Anyway, this Winter I went to Moncler to ask about a repair to a jacket. They told me they don’t do repairs. I asked them for their tailor, as it is such a special fabric, and they said they no longer have one, as they don’t often any alterations or repairs :shocked:. So that’s luxury for you these days.

That's very short-sighted.

I completely agree with you. I was like that at the beginning that's why I set some strict rules and I learned my body - which are the critical parts, what fits me the best. I will never shop anything that doesn't fit my style just because it is cheap or I may wear it one day. I always leave the items in my bag for at least 2-3 days so I can think do I need them. There are exceptions - for example I just got from an outlet shop beige Valentino rockstuds sandals for about $130 - I was looking for such sandals for a while. At the same time there was a LV handbag I really liked but... I don't need it so it was a pass for me. I think meanwhile someone else grabbed it. At the moment I have a leather jacket and leather trousers waiting to decide do I want them or not. Probably will be a NO. So in the past 2 years I haven't returned even 1 single piece and I'm quite happy with everything I got,

About t-shirts, unless they are new (with or without tags), I won't buy them. But I won't buy from H&M either. I prefer Marks' and Spencer - they last me at least 2 years.

Oh I'm learning now, I passed up an Ulla Johnson dress on eBay for £130(!) because it was too short - I am very much a maxi-dress girl, no knee-length or midi for me. I might have kicked myself before but now I can forgive myself for not adding unnecessary clutter to my wardrobe which will never be worn -_-

Good to know about M&S T-shirts, I find them very fast fashion-y these days though unsure what's good and what isn't. I have been very surprised by what Sainsbury's Tu have been offering though, the latest arrivals for Summer very much give me a Sezane vibe at a fraction of the price. I keep an eye out for the cotton pieces those seem to wash quite well (viscose sucks in my opinion).

Reactions: 880 and ElenaAlex
Oh I'm learning now, I passed up an Ulla Johnson dress on eBay for £130(!) because it was too short - I am very much a maxi-dress girl, no knee-length or midi for me. I might have kicked myself before but now I can forgive myself for not adding unnecessary clutter to my wardrobe which will never be worn -_-

Good to know about M&S T-shirts, I find them very fast fashion-y these days though unsure what's good and what isn't. I have been very surprised by what Sainsbury's Tu have been offering though, the latest arrivals for Summer very much give me a Sezane vibe at a fraction of the price. I keep an eye out for the cotton pieces those seem to wash quite well (viscose sucks in my opinion).

Good luck. It worth the effort because online there is more choice. I will give you one example - I'm short and whenever I put 1 kg on, it always go on my upper arms. That's why for items without elastane, I always ask to measure the upper part of the sleeve. I'm also looking for at least 2% elastane in trousers, because I have fairly wide tights compare to my waist - if I get the trousers right for my tights, they are far too big at my waist. I found that time-saving when I tailor them.

About M&S - the quality dropped quite a lot (MHO). Now I mainly buy underwear because it is machine washable. I have bras that are extremely comfortable and I use them now 4 years. I got firming bodysuits last year and after about 3 washed the elastic started to come out. I got the same from Dunnes stores for 1/3rd of the price and they are fine so far.

Fast fashion for me is not a particular brand but items I can wear only 1 season and they are basically unusable after that - change shape, color, get holes, etc. It creates so much waste, that's why I don't like it and avoid it. M&S does fit for certain items, especially in the last years. That's why I learned to look also at the quality. If I can see trough the t-shirt fabric - a big NO.

Reactions: 880 and Etriers
Good luck. It worth the effort because online there is more choice. I will give you one example - I'm short and whenever I put 1 kg on, it always go on my upper arms. That's why for items without elastane, I always ask to measure the upper part of the sleeve. I'm also looking for at least 2% elastane in trousers, because I have fairly wide tights compare to my waist - if I get the trousers right for my tights, they are far too big at my waist. I found that time-saving when I tailor them.

About M&S - the quality dropped quite a lot (MHO). Now I mainly buy underwear because it is machine washable. I have bras that are extremely comfortable and I use them now 4 years. I got firming bodysuits last year and after about 3 washed the elastic started to come out. I got the same from Dunnes stores for 1/3rd of the price and they are fine so far.

Fast fashion for me is not a particular brand but items I can wear only 1 season and they are basically unusable after that - change shape, color, get holes, etc. It creates so much waste, that's why I don't like it and avoid it. M&S does fit for certain items, especially in the last years. That's why I learned to look also at the quality. If I can see trough the t-shirt fabric - a big NO.

Oh yeah I totally relate to the big thigh, small waist conundrum. It can be a pain when buying dresses too as they have to flare out quite a bit to accomodate my hips and be fitted on the top half.

It's a real shame M&S has declined, I've had a few vintage pieces from St Michael that were quite good. Seems like everything they make is polyester/viscose now.

Just read through much of this thread again. Such great inspiration you all, thank you! :heart: I have been thinking about what I really want to wear and how to minimal-ize my closet. One thing I did last weekend was to style my closet like a boutique. Inspired by some Instagrams and YouTubers. I love the look of an all-neutral closet but I didn’t achieve that because I have some color that I love when I travel to the tropics. What I thought I might do though is buy some plain white cloth garment bags and put my tropical clothes together since they don’t really need to be in the mix anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice white cotton bags that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

Also, have been reading a lot of capsule wardrobe websites. I like the idea but the thing is, I just don’t buy clothes like that. I tend to buy pieces when I see them that are interesting or exceptional in some way. Probably somewhat theatrical. Fringed suede jacket, black tuxedo, leather moto jacket, that sort of thing. I like a contrast—cashmere sweater with leather pants, jeans with pearls, Squash-blossom necklace with an evening gown. So probably keeping everything neutral would allow me to have a much smaller wardrobe.

I got rid of a ton of uncomfortable lingerie. I get how we’re supposed to look fabulous under our clothes and most things I had were pretty but crazy-uncomfortable. I read a magazine article where one woman says she buys the same brand of sleek bra and underwear in black and nude and stocks up once a year. Done. I’m loving this idea.

Last edited:
Also, have been reading a lot of capsule wardrobe websites. I like the idea but the thing is, I just don’t buy clothes like that. I tend to buy pieces when I see them that are interesting or exceptional in some way. Probably somewhat theatrical. Fringed suede jacket, black tuxedo, leather moto jacket, that sort of thing. I like a contrast—cashmere sweater with leather pants, jeans with pearls, Squash-blossom necklace with an evening gown. So probably keeping everything neutral would allow me to have a much smaller wardrobe.

I got rid of a ton of uncomfortable lingerie. I get how we’re supposed to look fabulous under our clothes and most things I had were pretty but crazy-uncomfortable. I read a magazine article where one woman says she buys the same brand of sleek bra and underwear in black and nude and stocks up once a year. Done. I’m loving this idea.

I think 90% of the "capsule wardrobe experts" have it wrong! A capsule wardrobe is a collection of staples that you can mix and match with other things. Your staples. They don't have to be neutral or basic. Everything you mentioned sound like awesome staples to build your wardrobe around. Pick the shapes, colors, and textures that you love and make that the base of your closet!

I think 90% of the "capsule wardrobe experts" have it wrong! A capsule wardrobe is a collection of staples that you can mix and match with other things. Your staples. They don't have to be neutral or basic. Everything you mentioned sound like awesome staples to build your wardrobe around. Pick the shapes, colors, and textures that you love and make that the base of your closet!
I wholeheartedly agree with this, and with @Etriers ’s “exceptional in some way” view. What one wears should be a reflection of your tastes, ideals and expression.
Even when seeking to minimize, we shouldn’t forget that our tastes evolve throughout our lives and that today’s staples could be tomorrow’s unwanted tat. The tightrope exercise IMHO is deciding what is temporary fatigue with an item and what is permanently surplus to requirements — without taking forever to decide or using it as an excuse to stockpile items!

Well said! When I look at most capsule wardrobe plans I find them depressing. I agree that the intent sometimes gets lost and it’s about finding your own basics that go with everything. Thinking about this... the things I buy are all pretty much classics in one way or another. So (in my mind) they go together. A basic wardrobe of jackets for me would be: Moto jacket, fringe trapper jacket, beat-up bomber jacket, Balmacaan trench coat, Max Mara camel coat, 40’s style down ski jacket in black with a belt. I could wear any one of those with a cocktail dress, a pair of jeans, leggings, a ball skirt or a pencil skirt. In some ways, I buy wardrobe pieces like I decorate my house, everything has to be able to stand on its own and be beautiful or cool or interesting in its own right. When that is the case, it seems that things go together. Ornate gilt mirror+cowhide rug+ Fortuny silk cushion covers etc. Somehow they all find interesting things to say to each other.

What would help me a lot though is to cut out the excess, stop online shopping so I’m not ending up with pieces that I don’t like or don’t fit. One blogger says she only shops when she travels. That way it is fun to do and she tries everything on.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, and with @Etriers ’s “exceptional in some way” view. What one wears should be a reflection of your tastes, ideals and expression.
Even when seeking to minimize, we shouldn’t forget that our tastes evolve throughout our lives and that today’s staples could be tomorrow’s unwanted tat. The tightrope exercise IMHO is deciding what is temporary fatigue with an item and what is permanently surplus to requirements — without taking forever to decide or using it as an excuse to stockpile items!

Totally agree! Lol! Like Seinfeld’s puffy shirt.

Can anyone suggest some good brands for flattering trousers/skirts etc for bottom-heavy women?

If you're pear-shaped like me, for skirts, I would recommend the A-line silhouette. Almost all of my skirts happen to be A-line as it's the most flattering for our body type. For trousers, you could wear skinny or straight leg with a looser fitting top to balance the proportions.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and mellecyn
Just read through much of this thread again. Such great inspiration you all, thank you! :heart: I have been thinking about what I really want to wear and how to minimal-ize my closet. One thing I did last weekend was to style my closet like a boutique. Inspired by some Instagrams and YouTubers. I love the look of an all-neutral closet but I didn’t achieve that because I have some color that I love when I travel to the tropics. What I thought I might do though is buy some plain white cloth garment bags and put my tropical clothes together since they don’t really need to be in the mix anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice white cotton bags that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

Aw thank you, I’m glad this thread is a good read and yes I like it too!
For the garment bags I found mine on Amazon. beige With zippers. I put my not-in-season clothes in there.
I know what you mean in terms of colors and tropical clothes. My summer wardrobe is split between “city/work summer” and “beach holiday summer” (bring on colors, florals and summer dresses!)
Also, I like more and more the idea of buying second hand but I find it’s good for special one off piece “coup de cœur” we call it in French, like at first sight.
But when I’m trying to build my capsule wardrobe with a list of specific classic versatile items, it doesn’t work… I have put several alerts many months ago on Vestiaire collective!
So I have decided to buy brand new these items but no fast fashion, spend more and be really happy about it at every wear. I just got a denim jumpsuit I could have bought for 150$ but spent double for a brand with better fabric feel, shape and simple style.
There many types of minimalist wardrobes and an Australian Youtuber listed them. I’ll try to find it.

Last edited:
Aw thank you, I’m glad this thread is a good read and yes I like it too!
For the garment bags I found mine on Amazon. beige With zippers. I put my not-in-season clothes in there.
I know what you mean in terms of colors and tropical clothes. My summer wardrobe is split between “city/work summer” and “beach holiday summer” (bring on colors, florals and summer dresses!)
Also, I like more and more the idea of buying second hand but I find it’s good for special one off piece “coup de cœur” we call it in French, like at first sight.
But when I’m trying to build my capsule wardrobe with a list of specific classic versatile items, it doesn’t work… I have put several alerts many months ago on Vestiaire collective!
So I have decided to buy brand new these items but no fast fashion, spend more and be really happy about it at every wear. I just got a denim jumpsuit I could have bought for 150$ but spent double for a brand with better fabric feel, shape and simple style.
There many types of minimalist wardrobes and an Australian Youtuber listed them. I’ll try to find it.

Loved that! I think I am 80% classic/20% avant-garde. I do like that she delineates the archetypes because she’s right there are many forms of minimalist. Hearing from so many people about not buying fast fashion. That makes a small wardrobe so much more pleasing and exciting. I am not above a bargain but I think it would be sad to have a very small wardrobe of only junk clothes. I wonder if people are moving away from that, or just tPFRs.

Loved that! I think I am 80% classic/20% avant-garde. I do like that she delineates the archetypes because she’s right there are many forms of minimalist. Hearing from so many people about not buying fast fashion. That makes a small wardrobe so much more pleasing and exciting. I am not above a bargain but I think it would be sad to have a very small wardrobe of only junk clothes. I wonder if people are moving away from that, or just tPFRs.

It is definitely a trend, specially for younger people. Sustainability is in!

Reactions: Etriers
Dear downsizers, I'm having a bit of a dilemma and would like your support & advice.

I'm trying to cull my wardrobe, esp. shoes and bags, and I'm hitting a wall: there are items that don't feel like donation-box material (say, high heeled sandals or emerging designer bags), but after offering them around to friends AND later listing them on resale sites like Vinted, they still don't go. Should I just toss them (in the donations) and forget about how much I spent on them?

Dear downsizers, I'm having a bit of a dilemma and would like your support & advice.

I'm trying to cull my wardrobe, esp. shoes and bags, and I'm hitting a wall: there are items that don't feel like donation-box material (say, high heeled sandals or emerging designer bags), but after offering them around to friends AND later listing them on resale sites like Vinted, they still don't go. Should I just toss them (in the donations) and forget about how much I spent on them?
Great question! I had quite a few of these kind of items - great quality, but wouldn't get much when I sell it. Honestly, yes, you have to forget about how much you paid for them.
But I wouldn't just toss them into any random donations either. I usually bring these kind of items to my local second-hand boutique as donations. Of course, it always depends what kind of shops you have in your area, but I really enjoy supporting them. I try to bring in things that fit the season, so they can go directly into sale. And I know they take care of the items and get a decent price -their profit go to charity. So it doesn't feel like I wasted my money at all, what I would've made selling them goes to a good cause.
I have these categories (worst to best quality):
1. Trash
2. Animal shelter / Recycle
2. Donation Box
3. Second Hand boutique
4. Sell