The JADE thread!

Hi everyone.

I hope you’re all well.

I am hoping for some help as I am starting my jade bangle journey and I was interested in buying an oval bangle online.

I’ve tried on a couple that belongs to a friend and she has a round bangle that is 50.5mm and an oval bangle that is 53.2x47.7mm. I was able to slide both the round and the oval bangles on relatively easily (no lotion or soap or plastic bag needed).

My friend takes hers on and on depending on her activities but I was hoping to get one that I will never be able to take off so I am hoping for a much snugger/tighter fit as my wrists are very small. Because I am hoping to get something online, I am not sure what to do for sizes especially since I have not tried on anything smaller than the two my friend owns.

From your own experience, how small can your hand go?

Thank you in advance!

hi zhen!

Were the bangles you tried on D shaped or princess shaped? How wide? For me, princess-shape usually goes on/off easier - the bangles in my previous post are princess round. I don't have any ovals in princess or in D, so I can't comment on the fit of those.

Depending on your age and activity level, what fits now might not fit the same when you're older. when I first started my jade collecting, I could get my 51mm D bangle on/off on my left hand without lotion or plastic bag. My princess bangles were slightly smaller, no trouble. Now I'm stuck with a 52mm D bangle on my left because I gained too much weight during the pandemic. I've worn it 2 years straight now. Prior to that, I kept a princess on my right wrist 24/7 by choice for about 5 years. Just because you CAN take it off, doesn't mean you have to.

Also, you would need to consider how wide and how thick you want your bangles. Thicker is heavier. My thickest princess is 12mm and my thinnest D is 4mm thick and 11mm wide. My widest D is about 25mm, but my most comfortable Ds are around 15mm.

Jade is so unique -- you definitely should take as much time as you need finding the right color, translucency, shape, weight, thickness, price point for you if you are picking a forever bangle.

repost: Thick & thin D shapes
EifmEj5.jpg

6Jn58cK.jpg

These definitely don't fit anymore - last pic are small princesses.

nyodou0.jpg

DX9BsB6.jpg

wVSEbg3.jpg

Wx5mJmk.jpg

hi zhen!

Were the bangles you tried on D shaped or princess shaped? How wide? For me, princess-shape usually goes on/off easier - the bangles in my previous post are princess round. I don't have any ovals in princess or in D, so I can't comment on the fit of those.

Depending on your age and activity level, what fits now might not fit the same when you're older. when I first started my jade collecting, I could get my 51mm D bangle on/off on my left hand without lotion or plastic bag. My princess bangles were slightly smaller, no trouble. Now I'm stuck with a 52mm D bangle on my left because I gained too much weight during the pandemic. I've worn it 2 years straight now. Prior to that, I kept a princess on my right wrist 24/7 by choice for about 5 years. Just because you CAN take it off, doesn't mean you have to.

Also, you would need to consider how wide and how thick you want your bangles. Thicker is heavier. My thickest princess is 12mm and my thinnest D is 4mm thick and 11mm wide. My widest D is about 25mm, but my most comfortable Ds are around 15mm.

Jade is so unique -- you definitely should take as much time as you need finding the right color, translucency, shape, weight, thickness, price point for you if you are picking a forever bangle.

repost: Thick & thin D shapes
EifmEj5.jpg

6Jn58cK.jpg

These definitely don't fit anymore - last pic are small princesses.

nyodou0.jpg

DX9BsB6.jpg

wVSEbg3.jpg

Wx5mJmk.jpg

Thank you the kind and comprehensive response, Junkenpo! I really appreciate it!

I love that you also included pictures — they’re very helpful! Your collection is gorgeous!

My friend’s round bangle is quite thick (not sure how thick) and her oval bangle is very skinny. Both are D shape and not Princess.

I’m 35 and I think my knuckles are flexible? I don’t really participate in anything strenuous —the most I do is yoga (low-impact activities FTW).

What is pushing me to commit to a permanent bangle is because my partner and I are trying for a baby this year or next and I’m anticipating weight gain with that.

I want an oval Princess bangle that is very close-fitting to my wrist and fairly skinny (similar to yours) because I do wear a watch and a pandora charm bracelet and I don’t want it to look “too much” as I’m barely 5” tall.

I am hoping to squeeze my hand into something that’s about 47.7mm - 48mm… I really do wonder how doable this is with the aid of soap / plastic bag?

Thanks again!

Thank you the kind and comprehensive response, Junkenpo! I really appreciate it!

I love that you also included pictures — they’re very helpful! Your collection is gorgeous!

My friend’s round bangle is quite thick (not sure how thick) and her oval bangle is very skinny. Both are D shape and not Princess.

I’m 35 and I think my knuckles are flexible? I don’t really participate in anything strenuous —the most I do is yoga (low-impact activities FTW).

What is pushing me to commit to a permanent bangle is because my partner and I are trying for a baby this year or next and I’m anticipating weight gain with that.

I want an oval Princess bangle that is very close-fitting to my wrist and fairly skinny (similar to yours) because I do wear a watch and a pandora charm bracelet and I don’t want it to look “too much” as I’m barely 5” tall.

I am hoping to squeeze my hand into something that’s about 47.7mm - 48mm… I really do wonder how doable this is with the aid of soap / plastic bag?

Thanks again!

You and I are about the same height. If you have calipers, you could try measuring your wrist bones at their widest point. If your hands are flexible, then the three knuckles of your ring, middle and pointer fingers must fit the diameter of the bangle. For ovals, Iʻve always heard 1-2mm up on the longest diameter from your round size. Do take into consideration swelling from water retention and weight gain, you donʻt want the bangle to be uncomfortably tight.

For me, my left hand is still really flexible, but with the pandemic weight gain, my palm is too fleshy. I have too much padding and I canʻt squish it small enough.

I have a flat bangle that is 48.5mm, and it should technically fit, but Iʻve been too chicken to try even when I weighed less (still waaay more than what I should weigh). Iʻd have to get back down to my high school weight, haha. My original plan was for this to be my "retirement" bangle. Iʻd put it on for a permanent bangle when I retired.... so Iʻve got about 20 more years to get skinny again!

repost: D-shape round, 51mm diameter, 16mm width, 6mm thickness

45WO55h.jpg

C8Zfx8U.jpg

Iroh: flat-shape rouond, 48.5mm,

NDlfSjb.jpg

C8Zfx8U.jpg

cDOzSpU.jpg

Stacked

DjHqFWY.jpg

Carved profiles

lsPPSAd.jpg

You and I are about the same height. If you have calipers, you could try measuring your wrist bones at their widest point. If your hands are flexible, then the three knuckles of your ring, middle and pointer fingers must fit the diameter of the bangle. For ovals, Iʻve always heard 1-2mm up on the longest diameter from your round size. Do take into consideration swelling from water retention and weight gain, you donʻt want the bangle to be uncomfortably tight.

For me, my left hand is still really flexible, but with the pandemic weight gain, my palm is too fleshy. I have too much padding and I canʻt squish it small enough.

I have a flat bangle that is 48.5mm, and it should technically fit, but Iʻve been too chicken to try even when I weighed less (still waaay more than what I should weigh). Iʻd have to get back down to my high school weight, haha. My original plan was for this to be my "retirement" bangle. Iʻd put it on for a permanent bangle when I retired.... so Iʻve got about 20 more years to get skinny again!

repost: D-shape round, 51mm diameter, 16mm width, 6mm thickness

45WO55h.jpg

C8Zfx8U.jpg

Iroh: flat-shape rouond, 48.5mm,

NDlfSjb.jpg

C8Zfx8U.jpg

cDOzSpU.jpg

Stacked

DjHqFWY.jpg

Carved profiles

lsPPSAd.jpg

That yellow bangle is to die for!!! Just. Wow. ^^

Ah! What you say makes sense! I am going to take your word for it with regards to sizing for ovals! And sizing in general. I think I’d rather have it not too small even if I can manage to squeeze my hand through just in case life happens and my wrists balloon for whatever reason! You’re absolutely right… Doesn’t mean I can doesn’t mean I should!

thank you so much!!!!! You’ve truly helped me a lot!!!!

I try to rotate my jade and I love wearing all my pieces. I try to remember that jade is very strong and is supposed to be protective (if you believe that) so wearing it is good. My bangle "Smoke" is my most expensive one and I wore it for almost 5 years before taking it off. My black bangle is my pandemic bangle. I put it on before we went into lockdown in 2020 and sheʻs been on since. Iʻm pretty klutzy... I knock into walls, desks, doorknobs... I fall down more than is good for me, but so far so good.

I lost one of my favorite pendants recently though... it was on a necklace that has a hook to hang pendants off of, but the closure was loose. So sad.

repost pic of Smoke.
cGs63Yd.jpg

lost pendant
JTqK2G5.jpg

Smoke is gorgeous. :smile:

It's so sad you lost the pendant. That bead necklace with the pendant is such a perfect match. And the earrings with the pearls! My gosh...that is a beautiful set.

Hey welcome! As to whether or not this is Burmese jadeite, more than likely it is unless said otherwise since it's usually hard to distinguish Guatemalan blue jade from Burmese blue jade unless you've dealt with these two for a long time. If you really are looking for a Burmese blue jade that's more clean of the flecks you can try contacting them to see if they have one left in their inventory.

I was just thinking that this looked more like Guatemalan blue jade myself. But wasn't completely sure.

That yellow bangle is to die for!!! Just. Wow. ^^

Ah! What you say makes sense! I am going to take your word for it with regards to sizing for ovals! And sizing in general. I think I’d rather have it not too small even if I can manage to squeeze my hand through just in case life happens and my wrists balloon for whatever reason! You’re absolutely right… Doesn’t mean I can doesn’t mean I should!

thank you so much!!!!! You’ve truly helped me a lot!!!!

Happy hunting! Finding that "one" bangle is such a fun time. When I first started collecting, I wasnʻt sure what size worked best for me, so I bought several less expensive ones and then I was hooked on rotating them. I also discovered that while I like my D bangles to fit snug, I donʻt mind if the princess bangles are slightly big... and that if a bangle has interesting colors & carvings, I couldn't care less if it is too big. I'm finally done though, I'm really happy with all my bangles. It's just the smaller bits that call out to me now - earrings, pendants, necklaces... haha.

Jade bangle and rings yesterday. The bangle is a square D-shape

So lovely! What a unique shape, the color fits it!

Smoke is gorgeous. :smile:

It's so sad you lost the pendant. That bead necklace with the pendant is such a perfect match. And the earrings with the pearls! My gosh...that is a beautiful set.

I was so mad when I got out of my car at work and discovered it gone. That means I lost it somewhere from in the house to the car, because it wasn't in the car at all. But we've looked all over the house & nada! I bought another heart, but the coloring doesn't match quite as well, and no pearls, sadly.

• Thanks
Reactions: SmokieDragon
Hauoli Lā Makuahine to all you mothers out there! May your day be filled with love and jade!

Happy Friday! Continuing my white nephrite exploration, here’s a pendant I picked up to use as a fidget stone. Purportedly antique (late Qing). It has an uneven color/grey cast, but the texture is fabulously waxy. I don’t want to put it down.

And this is gorgeous! It looks like a lovely stone.

Hey Jadies, quick question for yall. So lately I've gotten quite a lot of pieces that got some pink stains very likely from the baby oil slathered on them which in turn, caused the velvet pouches storing them to leech out and onto them, giving them a vibrant magenta stain onto their cracks and pits. So are there any alternatives to acetone or some solvents that can get rid of dyes while keeping the jade's surface and integrity unharmed? (Also no unfortunately hot water and soap mixture won't do the trick)
TIA!

Hey Jadies, quick question for yall. So lately I've gotten quite a lot of pieces that got some pink stains very likely from the baby oil slathered on them which in turn, caused the velvet pouches storing them to leech out and onto them, giving them a vibrant magenta stain onto their cracks and pits. So are there any alternatives to acetone or some solvents that can get rid of dyes while keeping the jade's surface and integrity unharmed? (Also no unfortunately hot water and soap mixture won't do the trick)
TIA!
Hey AA, I’m not sure if this will work for you but this is what I tried and was successful with a nephrite necklace that I restrung because they used metal to string it. I soaked the beads in baby oil for a long time at least a month and then used a really soft brush with dawn and pipe cleaners for the inside of the beads. That’s the only thing that ever worked for me

Attachments

• FE5CD149-18FD-4CA0-8245-061F5AAA0A8D.jpeg
    FE5CD149-18FD-4CA0-8245-061F5AAA0A8D.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
  • C0B58D0D-E5A6-427D-B92C-82BA806B5372.jpeg
    C0B58D0D-E5A6-427D-B92C-82BA806B5372.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 10
Hey AA, I’m not sure if this will work for you but this is what I tried and was successful with a nephrite necklace that I restrung because they used metal to string it. I soaked the beads in baby oil for a long time at least a month and then used a really soft brush with dawn and pipe cleaners for the inside of the beads. That’s the only thing that ever worked for me
Oh alright thanks! I'll try it out as an alternative. Only problem is my patience since I tend to be a nervous wreck if I'm told I have to leave my precious babies into some liquid for a long time. :lol: