The Dior Diorama Thread

Sorry to dig this thread up.. but does anyone know why they discontinued this style? I remember they were very in a few years ago. I have one metallic one which I purchased from someone else and wonder why it doesn't even retain half of its retail value.

Sorry to dig this thread up.. but does anyone know why they discontinued this style? I remember they were very in a few years ago. I have one metallic one which I purchased from someone else and wonder why it doesn't even retain half of its retail value.

I think first of all that when Maria took over she pretty much went in the opposite creative direction of Raf and didn't want to keep anything that was released under his direction. But also, other than the Lady Dior, Dior eventually discontinues all bag styles, even if they would be considered classic (Diorama, Diorever, Miss Dior, Diorissimo, etc.- even a bunch of bags Maria designed have been discontinued already). Not sure if this is a business decision or what, but it sucks as a bag lover because it creates an atmosphere of either: you have to buy it now before it's discontinued, or, you don't want to buy it because you know it will be "out" in a couple years. I still wear my Diorama though, it's such a unique and cool style!

The Diorama was from the Raf Simmons era. Each new Creative Director brings a different perspective so when the current creative director, Maria Grazia Chiuri was brought in, she gradually phased out all of Raf’s designs. Maria Grazia brought in the 30 Montaigne and the Caro as replacements for the Diorama. Dior bags in general don’t hold their value. But this is not unique to Dior; most luxury bag brands don’t hold their value. The few exceptions are some Hermes and Chanel styles.

Ugh, I hate how all of Maria's bags have that huge hardware CD on them. Why does she have to ruin cute items by putting a giant, out of place logo on everything...
That is the million dollar question. Or maybe it's a billion dollar question.

But I totally agree with you. I don't have an issue with obvious logos and branding but I think that two factors have been ignored in some of the more recent designs: scale and proportions. Could the CDs really not be 80% smaller? 50% smaller? Perhaps as they continue to increase the prices, they feel that customers will want more bang for their buck with larger and larger logos.

Just saw this on the UK site - the Diorama is back, well, kind of...

I'm not a fan. I personally feel that there is too much going on with this bag. Nothing beats the OG Diorama.

What do you think?

View attachment 5428509View attachment 5428510View attachment 5428508

I was excited until I scrolled down. Talk about a mixed bag. There's a positive aspect for every negative one. I like the hardware, but not the size. I like the removable strap, but not top handles. It definitely does not hit the same as the OG Diorama.

I am really, really late to this club. I have casually considered a Diorama for a few years now, and this one seems to be just right to fill the gap. Neutral. But not too neutral. But it seems to be a super unicorn. This is a lizard skin I picked up second hand. Seems like the original owner wasn’t too precious about it. No cards or receipts, but otherwise looking great.

76174FD6-6207-4167-BA32-9597B22B7D97.jpeg