The Dior Diorama Thread

That's a beautiful bag, and so low key so it's great to use as an evening bag! I love that it doesn't scream designer - if people know then they know, but otherwise you're just using a beautiful bag.

I feel the same way as you. Even bags that were super classic at one point (like the Prada Saffiano totes) as no longer classic, so it's really hard to curate a truly classic collection.
Yes I really love how lowkey it is and it works great as an evening bag! Agreed re the classic bag point! It’s very hard but I think the best way to go is with lowkey bags that aren’t too logo heavy in a classic shape. That way you won’t get tired of it too quickly I guess!

The irony is the two most coveted bags in the world (the Birkin and Kelly) do not have giant HERMES printed on them. They are the ultimate splurge and yet my 68-year old dad wouldn't know if he was standing next to someone holding one. He wouldn't know the bag was from Hermes or that it was even designer, and certainly zero idea how much it costs. If he's standing next to someone carrying a Book Bag, yes, he will know it's from CHRISTIAN DIOR - not because he cares or is a fashion enthusiast in any way but simply because he can read it without his glasses.

When something has such an iconic design, you don't need to have giant logos and you don't need every toddler and grandpa to be able to read what brand it is. The people who know what a Birkin is just know. Just like they know when they see a Fendi Peekaboo. They can recognize a Givenchy Antigona or Saint Laurent Sac De Jour or Celine Belt Bag across 6 lane of traffic when there is no possible way of reading the small logo lettering from that far away.

I do agree at least some people feel that $4000 is not worth spending unless EVERYONE knows it's designer. They need their 6-year old cousin to be able to read CHRISTIAN DIOR loudly at a family lunch. They need people to read the giant CD from the small thumbnail on Instagram so they get more likes on their photo. And if my dad can't read the logo from across the street without glasses then they're just not getting bang for their buck! :P

Around when the Diorama was introduced, Dior also produced a number of bags where the logo was super small and not visible. The Miss Dior bag and Bar bag shown below were beautiful bags that did not have an obvious logo that someone can read from across the street.

The Miss Dior has a lot of the Dior hallmarks, such as the Cannage quilting and DIOR charms (done super tiny). It is one of those recognizable Dior bags without any obvious logos. The best part? Now they can be found on the resale market for lower prices, for anyone who loves Dior's aesthetic without the logos.

4c080144d0e9d9428a0e21ab3d7e324e.jpg

Dior-Bar-Bag.jpg

Around when the Diorama was introduced, Dior also produced a number of bags where the logo was super small and not visible. The Miss Dior bag and Bar bag shown below were beautiful bags that did not have an obvious logo that someone can read from across the street.

The Miss Dior has a lot of the Dior hallmarks, such as the Cannage quilting and DIOR charms (done super tiny). It is one of those recognizable Dior bags without any obvious logos. The best part? Now they can be found on the resale market for lower prices, for anyone who loves Dior's aesthetic without the logos.

Dior-Bar-Bag.jpg
Both beautiful bags. Although it won't be long before MGC's earlier (now discontinued) logo-heavy bags are also considered to be so "over" that they too will be well-priced in the resale market.

Reactions: Gigi_90
Both beautiful bags. Although it won't be long before MGC's earlier (now discontinued) logo-heavy bags are also considered to be so "over" that they too will be well-priced in the resale market.
That also depends on perceived brand value, which has increased at Dior, leading to the increase in resale prices. As well, logo bags may not always stay the trendiest bags, but there is always a client for that type of bag despite the trends. LV produced several all-leather bags during the time when logos dropped out of popularity on bags, although their bread and butter was still the high sales of their monogram pieces like their Neverfull.

I think with Dior, they changed their logo/ font many times lately that their bags can date quickly. I don’t mind changing bag styles as much as I do the logo. Example the diorama and diorever are stunning bags but the logo on them is not seen on any of their current styles. I wish they would be like Chanel and sell a few staple classics (not just one) with a production of season style bags. With Chanel I don’t mind buying season bags as when I buy them I know they are one off and in limited supply- yet they will all have the same classic cc.
For a designer to succeed they don’t necessarily need to eliminate everything their predecessor did.

that said I think the Caro is a nice bag because it pays tribute to house classics such as the cannage quilt

For a designer to succeed they don’t necessarily need to eliminate everything their predecessor did.
I agree. I think that when a brand hires someone with a very different aesthetic, they run the risk of losing what a brand stands for. Maria Grazia Chiuri is one of the only designers in recent times at Dior who references all other designers in Dior's history, including Galliano (the Saddle), Hedi Slimane (the Dior bee), Raf Simons (with the cigarette pants paired with Bar suits all in black), and Marc Bohan (lots of references to his clothes). Her Dior vision is long ranged, so she isn't referencing only the first 10 years of the house with Christian Dior was still alive. She is building on the Dior heritage through informing customers of lost icons in the Dior history.

She did not eliminate the Diorama design when she started, nor the Diorever. In fact, she made them her own by adding studs and vintage gold hardware to some variations, while using a supple grained calfskin on other versions. Her team replaced the fabric lining with suede to make the bag more luxurious. She also changed the Diorever with the new grained calfskin. More recently, her team made it in ultramatte black. I think the decision to discontinue the bag is corporate, to accommodate a lot more bag styles that were to be released in the near future like the Montaigne, Bobby, St. Honore, and now the Caro.
d6f563939046f89f0f9f460abae45a33.jpg

31967-02_Christian_Dior_Diorama_Flap_Bag_Grained_C_2D_0003_516x516.jpg

196a9147f640e447372973233041091b.jpg

Hi all, i am wondering if anyone can help to advise on what I should do with my Diorama and lady dior (sorry i
Know its a diorama thread but i thought i might as well put them both here).
1. my diorama in white micro cannage has some kind of scratch in the leather. Its been there for awhile. And as you can see some of the white micro cannage has seem to have gotten the leather into it as you can see the white has turned into blue in both parts of the picture. Additionally as this is only on one side of the back, i am wondering if its due to a bag “defect” where at the sides you can see there is the leather being sewed with the micro cannage and the blue leather can be seen between the white. do you think i can bring it to dior to enquire?

2. For my lady dior, the strap where the gold hardware is has tarnished? How can i clean it? It only happened on the strap.

thank you all!! Trying to look for some answers cause i love dior and i wanna add a lady dior in grey lambskin to my collection next but feeling a little apprehensive after seeing the aftermath of these bags after 2 years of wear ):

Attachments

• 96D03140-1236-4E37-A2B0-3B33AB36BA6A.jpeg
    96D03140-1236-4E37-A2B0-3B33AB36BA6A.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 33
  • F74C0E85-E39E-4907-9B52-8F26EBF52243.jpeg
    F74C0E85-E39E-4907-9B52-8F26EBF52243.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 32
  • BDAA8F5B-B8FF-4010-BEE3-95D1B62429AF.jpeg
    BDAA8F5B-B8FF-4010-BEE3-95D1B62429AF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 57831099-BE24-4026-8D7A-393016367D73.jpeg
    57831099-BE24-4026-8D7A-393016367D73.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 284B5215-C3C7-4F10-B493-8BE51ECD5146.jpeg
    284B5215-C3C7-4F10-B493-8BE51ECD5146.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 391FD0A7-1C2E-4DC9-B90B-2952F03BDF8D.jpeg
    391FD0A7-1C2E-4DC9-B90B-2952F03BDF8D.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 29
My small calfskin diorama in (I think) amaranth, it appeared burgundy in the stock photos but tends more towards a dark brown in daylight.

Was disappointed to learn about the discontinuation of this beautiful model but ecstatic and couldn't resist when it came up for 35% off at Bicester. Probably never would have paid the full RRP on such a piece which I consider to be more for aesthetic than functional purposes anyway. :angel:
IMG_20210202_133159.jpg

My small calfskin diorama in (I think) amaranth, it appeared burgundy in the stock photos but tends more towards a dark brown in daylight.

Was disappointed to learn about the discontinuation of this beautiful model but ecstatic and couldn't resist when it came up for 35% off at Bicester. Probably never would have paid the full RRP on such a piece which I consider to be more for aesthetic than functional purposes anyway. :angel:
View attachment 4977398
Love the colour :smile: glad Bicester are still operating!
You will find it very functional I’m sure- it was one of my most used bags this year!

enjoy :smile:

View attachment 4977398
Congratulations on your bag I got black with champagne hardware. The deals at bicester are amazing. I will reveal in spring as my son let look at it to check it was the one I wanted. He will give it me on my birthday

Hi all, i am wondering if anyone can help to advise on what I should do with my Diorama and lady dior (sorry i
Know its a diorama thread but i thought i might as well put them both here).
1. my diorama in white micro cannage has some kind of scratch in the leather. Its been there for awhile. And as you can see some of the white micro cannage has seem to have gotten the leather into it as you can see the white has turned into blue in both parts of the picture. Additionally as this is only on one side of the back, i am wondering if its due to a bag “defect” where at the sides you can see there is the leather being sewed with the micro cannage and the blue leather can be seen between the white. do you think i can bring it to dior to enquire?

2. For my lady dior, the strap where the gold hardware is has tarnished? How can i clean it? It only happened on the strap.

thank you all!! Trying to look for some answers cause i love dior and i wanna add a lady dior in grey lambskin to my collection next but feeling a little apprehensive after seeing the aftermath of these bags after 2 years of wear ):
You can definitely bring the Diorama in to inquire. It is a defect but I don't know if they can offer to fix that because they would have to unstitch the panels and tuck the extra lining leather in. As for the scratch, that is unavoidable, since the exterior material is so much more stiff than the interior material. I don't think they can repair that aside from trying to clean the leather and condition it.

For the Lady Dior, try using an eyeglasses (microfiber) cloth with a bit of moisture to see if it can rub off. I have tried doing this sometimes with Windex and it works, although be careful not to get it on the bag nor polish too hard, or less the gold plating comes off the hardware too.

Reactions: Myybags
You can definitely bring the Diorama in to inquire. It is a defect but I don't know if they can offer to fix that because they would have to unstitch the panels and tuck the extra lining leather in. As for the scratch, that is unavoidable, since the exterior material is so much more stiff than the interior material. I don't think they can repair that aside from trying to clean the leather and condition it.

For the Lady Dior, try using an eyeglasses (microfiber) cloth with a bit of moisture to see if it can rub off. I have tried doing this sometimes with Windex and it works, although be careful not to get it on the bag nor polish too hard, or less the gold plating comes off the hardware too.
Thank you for answering my questions!! Appreciate it (: Will try to take in the diorama and see what they say. My SA mentioned once before that Dior does complimentary leather cleaning? Do you know what it would entail? Not sure if this still holds as the last time I heard this was in 2019.

Regarding the lady dior, I seem to be unable to do so unfortunately with the microfiber cloth. May I know if you think this tarnishing is regular wear and tear or just a defect of some kind? I have only worn it out less than 10 times and its only the hardware on the bag strap that is tarnishing and not the bag's hardware (thank god). Also, if I were to send it for dior to clean, do you think they would be able to polish this out and if it would be chargable?

Thank you for answering my questions!! Appreciate it (: Will try to take in the diorama and see what they say. My SA mentioned once before that Dior does complimentary leather cleaning? Do you know what it would entail? Not sure if this still holds as the last time I heard this was in 2019.

Regarding the lady dior, I seem to be unable to do so unfortunately with the microfiber cloth. May I know if you think this tarnishing is regular wear and tear or just a defect of some kind? I have only worn it out less than 10 times and its only the hardware on the bag strap that is tarnishing and not the bag's hardware (thank god). Also, if I were to send it for dior to clean, do you think they would be able to polish this out and if it would be chargable?
Yes they do complimentary cleaning. They state it in their care booklet, as long as the bag was purchased from the boutique with receipt I think.

If the tarnish doesn't come off, then bring that to Dior and they can replace the metal part for you, potentially for a fee depending on when you got the bag.

Reactions: Myybags

Dior-Bar-Bag.jpg
I was just looking at these and might try to get a secondhand gem. Most right now are patent, which I don't care for. I'm also limited as to the shades I want but I also enjoy the hunt

Reactions: averagejoe