Take off the charms on my Lady Dior?

Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, it was terrible. The machine malfunctioned and all of a sudden there was all kinds of "excitement" at the security point and cops and customs officers running around. I knew something had happened to the bag but I could not really make a big deal about one because I was already late, two this was the security check point after all and three, who wants to make a ruckus about their designer bag in the middle of the airport purgatory. I did not check it out until I was sitting on the plane and I almost cried. But the damage is not too bad, just one of the little figure 8 rings was bent. I actually kind of like the story as it reminds me of traveling before the pandemic when I could still run across an airport and be stressed out. Ah what good times.

I am debating back and forth what to do. I will probably just leave it for now. But is there a way to remove them if I really wanted?

And so sorry about your shoes. You gotta wonder what's going on in these machines....
If you were thinking about getting the charms off with pliers (I’m glad you decided against this!!), why not just try to gently “plier” the little figure 8 rings back into place? If you do, cover it with felt before twisting so you don’t make a nasty scratch on it.

If you are going to take off the charms for any reason, I recommend having professionals to do it. Take it to a local cobbler. Cobblers have experience working with leather and usually also repair leather handbags. A cobbler can remove them safely without any damage. When I sent my Lady Dior to Leather Surgeons for a spa treatment, they took the charms off to clean them and then put them back on so that is another option.

If you were thinking about getting the charms off with pliers (I’m glad you decided against this!!), why not just try to gently “plier” the little figure 8 rings back into place? If you do, cover it with felt before twisting so you don’t make a nasty scratch on it.
That is actually what I did and it was not as hard (literally ;)) as I thought. I'd say an untrained eye can not really tell.

Reactions: Amandiora
If you are going to take off the charms for any reason, I recommend having professionals to do it. Take it to a local cobbler. Cobblers have experience working with leather and usually also repair leather handbags. A cobbler can remove them safely without any damage. When I sent my Lady Dior to Leather Surgeons for a spa treatment, they took the charms off to clean them and then put them back on so that is another option.
Thank you. Good to know. Are Leather Surgeons local or do you mail it in? I know I know...google is my friend. :smile:

Very interesting about LD's LD!

My mother used to have a Dior charm keyring, just like the charms on a LD. She could it on to any (Dior) black bag with ghw. Maybe there's some more floating around the preloved market if people want to add random charms on Dior bags (I know OP is sorted).

Reactions: 880 and clzclzclz
I like the Lady Dior bag but detest the charms. In Paris I was looking at one in the Dior boutique in Bon Marche and asked "How do you remove the charms" to the SA. I genuinely thought that of course you could remove them if you wanted to because clanky metal things hanging off of refined bags aren't to everyone's taste. She was quite surprised at my question and informed me it was impossible. So I'm am Hermes girl now.

I dislike the charms, too! I was looking at photos of Princess Diana with her bags and it seems she only ever had one charm, unless she tucked it in??

View attachment 5651188View attachment 5651190View attachment 5651191
I think the remainder of the charms are behind the leather round piece. My Mom had a LD from around that time and her charms would sort of go behind the leather circle as well- sometimes just being carried did that. In some of these pics you can see them actually behind the circle.