Take off the charms on my Lady Dior?

Home2020

Aug 10, 2020
I own an older Lady Dior (2012) in medium. One of my charms got bend in the airport x-ray machine (long story). I already asked Dior and a replacement would cost 175 Euro. This is expensive and I do not care for the charms that much anyway. I was just wondering if I could just take them off? Maybe not the whole ring, but the individual letter charms? Just pry them off with pliers? LOL. I am sure they could do it at the store but with Covid I can not get to one right now. Sorry I don't have a photo right now. But thanks so much in advance!

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
I own an older Lady Dior (2012) in medium. One of my charms got bend in the airport x-ray machine (long story). I already asked Dior and a replacement would cost 175 Euro. This is expensive and I do not care for the charms that much anyway. I was just wondering if I could just take them off? Maybe not the whole ring, but the individual letter charms? Just pry them off with pliers? LOL. I am sure they could do it at the store but with Covid I can not get to one right now. Sorry I don't have a photo right now. But thanks so much in advance!
Yikes! Sorry to hear that the x-ray machine damaged it. I'm always terrified of stuff going through that machine. Once, a brand new pair of sneakers came out with machine-scratch marks that look like the edge of an escalator step was rubbed over the front of the shoe.

I would actually get the charms replaced by Dior for a fee. Even if you don't care for the charms, it's better to have them in case you ever want to sell the bag. As well, people who recognize the bag will notice that your bag is missing the charms.

Home2020

Aug 10, 2020
Yikes! Sorry to hear that the x-ray machine damaged it. I'm always terrified of stuff going through that machine. Once, a brand new pair of sneakers came out with machine-scratch marks that look like the edge of an escalator step was rubbed over the front of the shoe.

I would actually get the charms replaced by Dior for a fee. Even if you don't care for the charms, it's better to have them in case you ever want to sell the bag. As well, people who recognize the bag will notice that your bag is missing the charms.
Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, it was terrible. The machine malfunctioned and all of a sudden there was all kinds of "excitement" at the security point and cops and customs officers running around. I knew something had happened to the bag but I could not really make a big deal about one because I was already late, two this was the security check point after all and three, who wants to make a ruckus about their designer bag in the middle of the airport purgatory. I did not check it out until I was sitting on the plane and I almost cried. But the damage is not too bad, just one of the little figure 8 rings was bent. I actually kind of like the story as it reminds me of traveling before the pandemic when I could still run across an airport and be stressed out. Ah what good times.

I am debating back and forth what to do. I will probably just leave it for now. But is there a way to remove them if I really wanted?

And so sorry about your shoes. You gotta wonder what's going on in these machines....

Last edited:
Reactions: averagejoe

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, it was terrible. The machine malfunctioned and all of a sudden there was all kinds of "excitement" at the security point and cops and customs officers running around. I knew something had happened to the bag but I could not really make a big deal about one because I was already late, two this was the security check point after all and three, who wants to make a ruckus about their designer bag in the middle of the airport purgatory. I did not check it out until I was sitting on the plane and I almost cried. But the damage is not too bad, just one of the little figure 8 rings was bent. I actually kind of like the story as it reminds me of traveling before the pandemic when I could still run across an airport and be stressed out. Ah what good times.

I am debating back and forth what to do. I will probably just leave it for now. But is there a way to remove them if I really wanted?

And so sorry about your shoes. You gotta wonder what's going on in these machines....
Yes they can be removed, but it wouldn't be from Dior as they would not offer to remove the charms that came with the bag.

If you do it yourself, or ask a third-party company to help you, then if they damage the bag in the process, Dior will not repair the bag for you given that it would not be considered in warranty anymore.

Home2020

Aug 10, 2020
Yes they can be removed, but it wouldn't be from Dior as they would not offer to remove the charms that came with the bag.

If you do it yourself, or ask a third-party company to help you, then if they damage the bag in the process, Dior will not repair the bag for you given that it would not be considered in warranty anymore.

Totally understand. I will think about it somemore. Thank you for your expertise and time. Have a nice holiday!

Reactions: averagejoe