Summer v Winter Bags

I typically go for lighter colors and materials in the summer. Also a less structured bag. But I don't think there are "rules" at least not now-a-days.

I concur. I think people carry any color or type of bag during any season. Same with color of clothing. I LOVE leather belts and I wear my bone colored belt during any season. And black-oh, don't take my black anything off of me. LOL

When I was in Maine, I definitely had summer and winter bags. That was dictated more by material than colour - my patent was mostly winter and my fabric mostly summer. Suede to me is definitely a fall/winter choice but not a bad weather bag!

Now my seasons are upside down and mostly non existent so I use what I want whenever!

The only factors in my decision to carry a bag each day, are the weather and what I'm wearing. And I also carry whatever bag makes me happy that day. I find it fun and liberating. :smile:

Thanks ladies and sorry for the delayed response. I got pulled into some nutty work stuff and couldn't get on TPF.

I will carry any bag on any day, but I am trying to be thoughtful about what will get more use. With more outdoor activities and my camera in play on outings, celebrations and picnics, I am more prone to use a cross body and be hands free in the summer. I am also thinking about summer colors in general and if getting a brown croc bag will get a lot less use with pinks greens and other bright accent colors I wear.

Thanks for all of you enabling (I mean input). LOL. Perhaps I just need to shop for more summer clothes that compliment my variety of bags!:graucho:

i do have colors/materials that i wear for spring/summer or for fall/winter. I live where we have 4 distinct seasons and i love it and i love not wearing the same thing year round. I enjoy putting fall/winter clothes, bags and shoes away and getingt spring/summer out and vice versa. It really helps me not to get tired of things...kind of like getting out christmas decorations just for the holiday season, if they were out all the time they wouldn't feel as special. Jmo :smile:

+1!

I do have colors/materials that I wear for spring/summer or for fall/winter. I live where we have 4 distinct seasons and I love it and I love not wearing the same thing year round. I enjoy putting fall/winter clothes, bags and shoes away and getingt spring/summer out and vice versa. It really helps me not to get tired of things...kind of like getting out Christmas decorations just for the holiday season, if they were out all the time they wouldn't feel as special. JMO :smile:

I'm this way, too. I have certain bags that are "spring/summer only" and "fall/winter only" and some that I carry year round (mostly vintage bags). I love getting bags out seasonally because it is like rediscovering certain bags that I've sort of forgotten during the off-season. It makes shopping my closet more fun.

I'm a bit late jumping onto this thread, but found it really interesting, because growing up my mom always instilled in me the idea of a "fall/winter" versus "spring/summer" bag.

....Now I really love the idea of wearing whatever you want, whenever you want to, but I think I may have to get used to it a bit. I definitely agree that tweed is fall/winter only....but I think that even certain lighter suedes can easily be carried in the summer, depending on their thickness/texture/color.

I tend to carry black and brown and dark green bags in the winter and lighter/brighter bags in the spring and summer. I find that patent bags are great all-weather bags but I still carry my black patent bags in the fall and winter and my light ones in the spring and summer.

When I was in Maine, I definitely had summer and winter bags. That was dictated more by material than colour - my patent was mostly winter and my fabric mostly summer. Suede to me is definitely a fall/winter choice but not a bad weather bag!

Now my seasons are upside down and mostly non existent so I use what I want whenever!

When I was young, patent was a delicate material that was made by impregnating leather with many applications of linseed oil and rigorous buffing. You only carried patent in spring and summer and never in bag weather because it was "delicate".

Now that patent is plastic-treated leather I always reach for my patent bags when the weather turns bad. I have found them to be great options for winter and rainy days!

I do have colors/materials that I wear for spring/summer or for fall/winter. I live where we have 4 distinct seasons and I love it and I love not wearing the same thing year round. I enjoy putting fall/winter clothes, bags and shoes away and getingt spring/summer out and vice versa. It really helps me not to get tired of things...kind of like getting out Christmas decorations just for the holiday season, if they were out all the time they wouldn't feel as special. JMO :smile:

I totally agree! Right now I keep trying to put away my fall/winter bags but winter keeps coming back! Easter is next week and I am determined to carry a Spring bag! :sunshine:

Coming from a tropical country where it's sun and rain all year round, I have absolutely no idea what are the colors for each season what more bags. LOL. Due to that, I pretty much just wear whatever I want, whenever I want even when I visit a certain country during its winter time.