Food Staple wines to stock a home bar?

Mine consists of pinot noirs, merlot's, shiraz, cab's some form of Italian(chianti,etc)..a bottle of pinot grigio just in case someone doesn't like reds. (We don't like chardonnay)
I agree with the 2 buck chuck for cooking or the bad day at work..lol:amuse: and always have red and white on hand.:yes:

Don't stock on anything you will not be drinking yourself. I threw a lot of money down the drain with stocking red wine that we don't drink because some friends like it. No one will touch it and my friends who like red wine will bring their own (super expensive wine from private auctions - stuff that I have no clue about). I now buy wine according to the demand, the food I will cook, the season and my personal taste, and I avoid to stock. Personally I enjoy dry Frascati and the sparkling kind, and there are always a few bottles in my fridge because I cook with it as well. I also buy a case or two of Beaujolais Nouveau every year because I love it and I usually throw a party exactly that time in the year.

Reactions: Traminer
Have a winerack warming party! Invite everyone over and ask them to bring a bottle of wine as your gift. You have a new home, that would also be a good reason.
(Register for gifts at a liquor store.)
If that doesn't sound ungracious.
what a good idea!

a friend of mine keeps bringing over smoking loon pinot to my house. when i bought a bottle recently someone else in the store told me she loved it. and then a friend brought over smoking loon cab. so i guess it's a popular brand. same white wine loving friend brought something else last night that i loved- will look at the bottle when i go home.

personally (and don't mock me) i love reuinte lambrusco. it's great chilled and can be mixed with oj. lol. i know, i know. i have crappy wine taste when left to my own devices.

stock a few bottles of inexpensive wine to cook with, I never seem to have enough of that stuff around whenever I'm prepping meats.

I have mainly scotch whisky, whiskey, cognac and grand marnier at home on a shelf but I think cabernet sauvignon, sauvignon blanc, merlot and shiraz are good to have on hand. Maybe a gerwurtraminer for chinese take out b/c it's got a slight spiciness that complements the food. A dessert wine might come in handy too.

Mine consists of pinot noirs, merlot's, shiraz, cab's some form of Italian(chianti,etc)..a bottle of pinot grigio just in case someone doesn't like reds. (We don't like chardonnay)
Yes, Pinot Noir and Merlot and Zinfandel for red wine.
And Riesling and Gewürztraminer and Pinot Blanc for white.
Chardonnay need not be. :smile:

It is only yesterday that I read about a grape variety that I did not know before: Traminette!
It sounds fine.

Traminette is a cross of the French American hybrid Joannes Seyve 23.416 and the German Vitis vinifera cultivar Gewürztraminer made by Herb C. Barrett ca. 1965 at the University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign. His intention was to produce a large clustered table grape with the flavor of Gewürztraminer. He sent the cross to the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station grape breeding program at Cornell for development when he departed from Illinois. Traminette was found to have excellent wine quality, combined with good productivity, partial resistance to several fungal diseases, and cold hardiness superior to its acclaimed parent, Gewürztraminer, while retaining a similar character.