Space for Guys & their Hermès

Hey, so whilst I don’t have a Caporal (ironically my SA has been unable to track one down for me and I’ve been told it’s not been available to order at podium for a couple years, I DO have the bigger brother 35 size, in Taurillon Cristobal.

I’m assuming the one you saw was in Taurillon Clémence, which in my opinion is a super easy leather that won’t patinate and age, but will get softer and smoochier with time.

I have no issues with the bag closure, typically keep it shut and can do the clasps one handed in a couple seconds.

If you like it and love the colour, i’d really recommend you go for it. As with all things H, these things aren’t always made in huge quantities and don’t hang around for long, so if you love, take it!!

Thanks so much for your input.
Yes it was the clemence, the green colour was beautiful but I think I would like it in black or a dark brown shade but will have to look into it :smile:
We just last year got a decent sized Hermes store open up here in Denmark. I should probably check out what stock they have.

As FreddieMac mentioned, TC won't develop a patina like Barenia and will eventually get slouchy, I still love TC because you don't need to babysit TC but it's personal opinion

Thanks so much for confirming this. I was worried about water marks but glad that doesn’t applied for TC. Or at least you don’t find you need to baby it.

I can confirm both previous replies. Like FreddieMac, my bag is the larger type (the largest-40 I believe but don’t quote me on that), in TCl. it’s a year old and has slouched but I don’t mind at all. Weather wise, you can’t beat London and my Steve has been rained on more often than I can remember. I find it to be on the heavy side but-again- not a problem for me. The closing system is- IMHO-gimmicky. I keep the straps hanging down all the time for easier access. Colour wise, H do nice bicolour combinations. Unfortunately, these were not available when I got mine. I am very much of an impulse buyer with no patience whatsoever. I ended-up settling for a nice “prunoir”.

Thanks man, really glad to hear it’s fitting for the London climate as it is very similar over here.

The closure system is a bit fussy, especially folding the strap back on itself, but the weight of the flap will hold it down without us inf the straps.
If you have tried it and like it, you should go for it, but only if it is a colour and leather that you really like or want.
The bi-colour versions are the most interesting.

I don’t mind the flap hanging loose as I already have that with one of my BV messengers. I guess I could just close it when going on a bike or want the extra security.

I have only ever seen one bi colour caporal before. Fairly new to Hermes, but now that I actually tried the Steve on it has really sparked my interest.

Cheers guys really appreciate all of your thoughts and input. You have given me reassurance I needed and it might be the next bag on the list after a BV briefcase. :smile:

Last year Steve and Steve Caporal were sometimes available online from both European and US websites.
As I recall the colours were usually brown or black.

I can’t seem to find any on the European sites, but there is one popping up on the Canadian site in taupe. That is also a beautiful neutral colour but don’t know how well it will pairs although being neutral it should work with most clothes I assume.

I am also looking to getting this beauty, but I am worried about how the shiny alligator will hold up. It would crush my heart to see the leather wrinkle.. I guess some wrinkle in the area where the card case folds in half is inevitable..

I’m not sure as all my alligator SLGs are matte finish, which tend to be more durable than glazed/glossy finish. I’d be curious to know how glazed/glossy holds up, especially at the folded areas.

Reactions: belhomme
I am also looking to getting this beauty, but I am worried about how the shiny alligator will hold up. It would crush my heart to see the leather wrinkle.. I guess some wrinkle in the area where the card case folds in half is inevitable..
I’m not sure as all my alligator SLGs are matte finish, which tend to be more durable than glazed/glossy finish. I’d be curious to know how glazed/glossy holds up, especially at the folded areas.

I have several SLG's in shiny alligator and wrinkling is not a problem. My biggest issue is that oil from my skin and hands is dulling the glazed finish. I sometimes wonder if matte would have been a better choice for me.

I have several SLG's in shiny alligator and wrinkling is not a problem. My biggest issue is that oil from my skin and hands is dulling the glazed finish. I sometimes wonder if matte would have been a better choice for me.

Good to know.

I prefer matte finish because it doesn’t dull like you described and it’s more low key in appearance.

Greeting, Hermès Council :smile:

I am in need of some advice/guidance about a bag and I hope someone here could chime in?

I was in Berlin last month and spotted a beautiful Steve Caporal in TC, Vert Fonce at the Hermes store in KaDeWe and had the chance to try it on.
I had kind of dismissed this bag earlier because I had thought of it as bigger and heavier than what it actually turned out to be irl. I had also expected the price point to be higher for this bag. I am normal more into BV but once I tried it on, it was oh so supple and comfortable to wear, structured enough to be practical and the size was just right. Basically I was sold on it.

While the SA was super friendly and accommodating the shop didn’t allow photography (which is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, but I didn’t have the energy to get into a discussion) so I have no pics I’m afraid.

So my Qs,
Anyone with the caporal or with general advice:

1. How do you find the closure/threading of the buckle? Is it to much of a hassle? Or do you just leave the flap open. Is that secure enough?

2. How does the bag hold up. I want an everyday beater bag that can handle the Scandinavian climate incl. getting caught in light rain or (god forbid) minor scuffs.

3. Does the TC leather age well? does it get that nice worn in look like eg. barenia or is TC a leather looking it’s best when pristine?

Hi, if you scroll up few messages above, I have Steve messenger bag in black (not Caporal but size 35).

1. Not really a hassle, almost the same as belt-type messenger bag closure. Most of the time I just wear it without fastening the straps and I think it's secure enough, because it has a wide flap that cover the opening.

2. Shouldn't be a problem with weather. The leather is finished (coated, as opposed to Barenia which is uncoated). However it will get sloppy overtime so now I made an internal bag support to maintain its shape.

3. The appearance most likely does not change (unlike Barenia). My bag in the picture is 10 years old and looks almost the same as new. It just get more slouchy over time.

Reactions: J.T.